Johnny Cash does Bird On a Wire

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
robinhere

Johnny Cash does Bird On a Wire

Postby robinhere » Mon Sep 15, 2003 2:00 am

Hello all. I am new to this great forum. I haven't seen it in any of the posts here yet but have recently heard Johnny Cash's version of Bird On a Wire in The following newsgroup:

alt.binaries.sounds.country.mp3

It's not the best in the world, but it's always nice to see his work appear. What is the saying, "imitation is the finest form of flattery"?
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Sep 15, 2003 4:39 am

Welcome to this great Forum, Robin :D . Yes, that is the saying, I'm familiar with only slightly different wording, "Imitation is the highest form of flattery." We were talking earlier about what songs of Leonard's Johnny has covered. So, you're not that thrilled with it, eh? I haven't heard it yet, so can't say [sound's not working on my computer at the moment, so still can't :( ].

~ Lizzytysh
lightning

Postby lightning » Sat Sep 20, 2003 5:30 am

"Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" is how I heard it. They are playing Cash's "Bird on a Wire" a lot and it's not bad. It seems appropriate for an artist who has just passed on.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Sep 20, 2003 1:48 pm

Is colloquialism the correct word? You're right, Lightning, "Bird on a Wire" does have special meaning in the context of an artist's death, particularly a very creative one, who refused to sell out, something Johnny and Leonard have had very much in common. It's understandable that Johnny would choose this song to cover. With his continuous wearing of black, and his reasons why; his harrowing times with drugs and June, yet saving all those ribbons for thee; and the risks that being your own person bring, this song fits very well. The concept of freedom no doubt resonates with all the work he did in the prisons, as well.
Bryce

Johny cash does bird on a wire

Postby Bryce » Tue Oct 07, 2003 9:46 pm

Fairport Convention covered this, too, back in the late '60s, as well as "Suzanne".
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Oct 29, 2003 5:16 pm

Well, through the grace and generosity of someone met here on the Forum, I was finally able to listen to Johnny Cash's rendition of "Bird On A Wire" ~ I feel like he truly made it his own, and I love it. Knowing the way he lived his life only adds to its timbre. I highly recommend it 8) .

~ Elizabeth
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:11 pm

Lizzy: I heartilly agree. And once again, I highly recommend the Fairport Convention's cover on the CD "Heyday - BBC Radio Sessions 1968-9". Sandy Denny's voice was a powerful instrument with its own unique dramatic quality.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Oct 29, 2003 6:56 pm

Hi Bryce ~

Yes, I'm glad to see that we're in agreement on Johnny's rendition. How in the world does one come by the Fairport, what sounds to be an obscure recording? Does it only seem that way?

~ Lizzytysh
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Wed Oct 29, 2003 10:51 pm

I bought my vinyl (I know, I'm showing my age) about 18 years ago; I notice the Amazon.com has it on CD as of today.

Yes, it's a little obscure - 'In the day", a lot of British artists got their start on the BBC, and various and sundry record companies have been releasing these artists' old tapes. Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Bothy Band, to name a few that I can think of offhand.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:08 pm

Super, Bryce ~ thanks for the information!

By the way, I just read today that the tribute to Johnny Cash is happening on Monday, November 12, in Nashville, at the Ryman Auditorium. People who will be there include Willie Nelson; Kris Kristofferson; RoseAnne Cash, of course; Hank Williams, Jr.; Steve Earle; and Sheryl Crowe. Tickets to it will be FREE, but there is no information on the availability of tickets that's been released yet :? ! I certainly hope that Leonard will be one of those who will be there. I'm certain that, whatever else is going on in his life, he will want to be :) .

There's no way I could make it that far after work :lol: on a Monday night, and can't afford to take any more time off right now. I'm further certain that those tickets will be long gone before I could ever dream of getting one, anyway. I certainly look forward to hearing about it, though.

~ Lizzy
Bryce

Postby Bryce » Wed Oct 29, 2003 11:39 pm

I'm sure it will be on television at some point. No, I couldn't take any more time away myself, and it would be a long haul for me anyway (Maine to Tennessee).

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”