Which is your fav Hallelujah cover?

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:28 pm

Padma :D ! Welcome to the Forum 8) ~ I'm so glad to see you here, girl :D !

I'm really enjoying looking at the photographs of you on the Event pages ~ they really capture your playful nature 8) ! That camera eye and you got a thing goin' on :wink: :lol: !

~ Elizabeth/Lizzy

Adrian ~ I'll try to check out that kd lang link from work ~ she's one of that genre that I've always liked. Maybe with her bringing Leonard to that realm, the country listeners will tune in to Ten New Songs; in particular, In My Secret Life, That Don't Make It Junk, and Boogie Street [at least those!].

~ Lizzy
Adrian

Hallelujah: UK's "Record of the Day"

Post by Adrian » Wed Aug 04, 2004 5:57 am

We had a very cool thing happen today. The UK-based music industry
website/newsletter, Record of the Day, selected Allison (Crowe)'s
version of "Hallelujah" as its record of the day, for today, August 3, telling its audience:

"Bet you thought you heard all the versions you need to hear of this
song, right? Think again, because Allison Crowe has a voice to fall in
love with. She is from Vancouver Island in Canada, descended from Irish
and Manx stock. She's exactly the sort of artist who can make serious
headway on her own label and that's just what she's doing."

:D

It's such a beautiful song, and fit ( :
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:26 am

Congratulations, Adrian 8) ! You two deserve so much everything good thing that comes to you :D ~ you've worked very hard to get where you're at, and continue to expend the effort and the cash to get even further! These kinds of boosts [especially from other countries] really help you along. I'm happy for you both :D .

~ Elizabeth
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Aug 04, 2004 6:38 am

thanks so much, Elizabeth ( :

energy, we have - I'm not sure where the cash is to be found! hehee

what makes me soooo happy about this situation is that it was purely about the music; the folks at Record of the Day loved Alley's version - and they told people about it; and all day I've been hearing from folks around Europe, mostly, but some in North America, as well - who hear the soul in the song, and in Alley's voice and playing

indeed, this is the kind of reward that makes struggling for years worthwhile :)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Wed Aug 04, 2004 7:33 am

You're right, Adrian....exactly ~ it was about the music, and Alley's beautiful cover! I'm just too tired to have formulated that thought into sentence form for inclusion :? . Thanks for helping me along :) . Now, I'm going to sleep.

~ Elizabeth :D
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Wed Aug 04, 2004 10:26 am

perhaps it's a premonition - like my Mom would say when your palm is itchy, you'll come into money (something like that - right now, it's likely to be mosquitoes :wink: )

night!
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Fri Aug 06, 2004 5:15 pm

I've just watched a double episode of "Without A Trace," and the closing music was perfect for the ending. Jeff Buckley's 'Hallalujah.
I thank you.............
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
margaret

Post by margaret » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:44 am

I've just been catching up on the last few weeks newspapers and came upon a review of a concert of Kathryn Williams, a British singer/songwriter who seems to be worth a listen. The reviewer was very impressed. "By way of introduction to her rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, she said "I really, really, really, really want to shag Leonard Cohen, but this is the next best thing"." 8) She went on to deliver a beautiful version of the song.
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sat Aug 07, 2004 1:53 am

As music is made to be heard, here are links to Allison Crowe's version of Hallelujah:

at Record of the Day

http://www.recordoftheday.com/archive/s ... -08-03.m3u

and at Allison's own site @

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/music/hallelujah.mp3

:D

and, there's a 30 second clip of Kathryn Williams' interpretation be found in the Music section @

http://www.kathrynwilliams.net/

cheers, Ad
ForYourSmile

John Cale

Post by ForYourSmile » Thu Aug 12, 2004 10:22 pm

Between all the good ones, my fav is John Cale's, great. Like Alison Crowe (thanks to this forum :) ) with piano, it's solemn, profound.

Normally I prefer the original thing of LC but no in this song.

I know that Leonard interests something of flamenco. But I don't like the Morente's Aleluya. Sorry jarkko, only it's my opinion. :wink:
Zabka

Post by Zabka » Sun Aug 15, 2004 5:12 pm

Hi

I just listened to the Allison Crowe version of H and I have to say I didn't much enjoy Ms Crowes voice. I'm sure I will be stoned to death for this, but she sounds a bit like she is riding a bike over a heavily corrugated road...

Maybe I need to listen again (it's my first Allison Crowe song)

:oops: :oops:
ZZ

What we have learned is like a handful of earth. What we have yet to learn is like the whole world. (Avvaiyar)
Adrian

Post by Adrian » Sun Aug 15, 2004 8:14 pm

no one will stone you for having your own opinion! :D (unless you mean stoned a la 'Rainy Day Women #12 and 32' - and want to be :wink: )

we all know taste in music is highly personal and subjective!

some folks prefer female, even male, vocalists to be softer or pretty-ier in their approach, whereas Allison is powerful and intense; as with any artist of worth, she won't be to everyone's liking ~ thankfully, and deservedly, she's loved by many :D

to each their own, though, as ever ( :

p.s. this may well have been mentioned over the years on this board, so, please excuse me if this is redundant, but I've just discovered, thanks to the Leonard Cohen Nights website, that on Canada Day, July 1, 2002, six editors/writers for The Globe and Mail (one of Canada's two national newspapers), created a list of what they deemed the Top 25 Canadian Pop Songs of All Time, and, Hallelujah is #1 on that list - here's what they said:

1. Hallelujah, Leonard Cohen, 1984

Cohen's mid-career masterpiece -- as he grew from poetic scoundrel into wisecracking monk -- has it all: eloquence, humour, sex and God. Covered by John Cale, Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright and (in concert) Bob Dylan, it outranks even Tower of Song as a hymn to hymn-making, as the singer endures a dozen trials only to "stand before the Lord of Song/ with nothing on my tongue but 'Hallelujah.' " Meanwhile, he gets away with rhyming the title with "what's it to ya?" and singing about the song's own harmonic structure: "It goes like this/ the fourth, the fifth/ the major fall, the minor lift/ the baffled king composing Hallelujah." Untouchable.
jorcx

Post by jorcx » Tue Aug 24, 2004 11:52 am

Well, one of my favourite "Hallellujah" covers is this one by a great Catalan singer, Jordi Batiste. Please enjoy:

http://www.jorcx.net/mp3/hallellujah.mp3

It was recorded live in Barcelona on the 16th May 2003 and it sounds more or less like the Jeff Buckley version but with Catalan lyrics...
Best regards,
Jordi
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron » Thu Aug 26, 2004 8:24 pm

Hola Jordi. I don't know Catalan for Hola so please forgive me?
I enjoy the 3 Tenors and each has their own presence within the lyrics. Jose Carreras has the most pain and heart in the way he sings and for that reason I prefer his renditions of the usual Opera pieces.

Why do I write about Jose? Because the 'Jordi' I have just listened to in his performance of this lc song, carries the pain and the heart that I find in Jose.

It is not Jeff Buckley and I have yet to find anyone who can compare with his version of this song. I know, I know, this is purely a personal matter of taste and emotional response to Buckley's heavenly voice.

However, we will be downloading this version onto a CD, which has been slowly building over the months and years, as we find music we want to keep, record and come back to when the urge arises.

Many thanks for the link and the 'pain and the heart.'

Best regards.
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
lizzytysh

Allison Crowe

Post by lizzytysh » Mon Sep 13, 2004 2:49 am

Dear Zabka ~

If you're around, or when you return, your impressions of Allison's singing based on "Hallelujah" are proof-positive of the truth of the adage, "Don't judge a book by its cover :wink: ." Since Jarkko has added the Other Music section, I've written something there about Allison's music; since it's about more than "Hallelujah," that's where it clearly belongs.

Love,
Elizabeth

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”