Which is your fav Hallelujah cover?

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

hello!

no, I wasn't aware of the posting being carried farther, and of Helven's hearing the song and responding til just now (well, the last hour or so) :D

I really do have a muzzy head, and between resting bouts and coughing fits I'm trying to keep up ( :

and, I'm glad to know of how my messages have been received; I'm anxious to share the music, and, being new to this particular community, and via the medium of the internet, there is always a potential of being misunderstood

Hallelujah is an epiphany of a song, and it's been performed live by Allison in concert, and greatly moved people; however, the act of recording can be a funny thing, and we weren't sure if it could be captured as it sounds live, but, happily, that's just what happened I'd say; it's a true recording, and sounds like you'd hear Alley singing it in concert

now, the mp3s are lower quality sound than a CD, but, it's our hope that enough of the beauty will be heard through the technology

you're right, Hallelujah is a magnificent, resplendent song ~ and it's an honour and joy for other artists to have this gift to which they can lend their own voices ( :

thank you, Ad
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Again, Adrian, you're welcome :D . I'm anxious to hear it myself! Where does Allison perform?

~ Elizabeth
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I do hope you'll enjoy Allison's version of Hallelujah when you hear it!; I am never quite sure of computers and mp3s, and how things sound; the actual recording itself is true, so, we hope it can be heard as such...

Alley lives on Vancouver Island, B.C. ~ situated on North America's west coast between the mainland cities of Vancouver, B.C. and Seattle, WA. I live on an even smaller Pacfic coast island, Salt Spring Island. From our home base, we journey outward. Allison (Alley) has performed hundreds of times in our Pacific Northwest region, and last summer we toured Canada as far east as Montreal. We had intended to tour as far east as Halifax this year, and then travel down into the U.S. for concerts. Life, though, didn't follow a predictable course in 2003, and, those concert plans will now happen in 2004.

Allison was courted by record labels but found the folks we were dealing with were not the right way to go (for her or her music), so, she returned home from NYC this past summer and launched her own label to get her music out.

We take it all step by step, focussing on music and people, and it's been working out! Mostly Allison plays in concert settings - soft-seat theatres, church chapels, and such rooms as offer fine acoustics (and grand pianos where we can find them) :) - on occasion she plays Jazz fests, folks fests, and rock clubs; mostly though, we aim for all-ages events, which in this country tends to limit club performances

thanks for asking ( :

Ad
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Dear Adrian ~

Thanks for answering my question about Salt Spring Island, at the same time. I hadn't asked it yet, but was going to end up there. Let us know [or at least me 8) ] how close she'll get to Florida in 2004. How about if you two [or however many] come to the New York Event, June 11-13. Then, she could sing to all of us [people from all over the world] during the open mic session. We'll be one night at The Bottom Line. Perla Batalla will be there. It'd be a great way to get to know both of you [and her singing], and you two, all of us.

I'm not surprized regarding her recording decisions. We've had various discussions here about record producers and companies.

~ Elizabeth
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Hello Elizabeth ( :

Florida would be fun to visit (especially now it's freezing here :wink: ). I shall certainly let you know if/when our tour plans lead us in your direction. The June convergence in NYC sounds very cool!

Our goal for this winter is to record a full-length album for Alley's label. Then, come spring, we'll tour Canada, and, fingers crossed, we'll follow that up with dates in the U.S. and, possibly, Europe.

It is a shame that with so many artists creating great music, the surrounding industry is not geared to the human sounds at times/in ways. Allison, her band, and I learned much this year, and our philosophy is to focus on the positives. Still, it's clear there's a better way for things to be for musicians and music-lovers.

And, that's what we all work toward ( :

bye for now, Adrian
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

p.s. I was eager to download songs of Perla Battala, but can't seem to get them to work; though, I was having memory (computer, not my own!) problems yesterday ~ and will try again; the visuals and other content on Perla's site are/is beautiful ( :
Adrian

Canadian tv special to include new version of Hallelujah

Post by Adrian »

We learned earlier today that clearance has been obtained for Allison to perform Hallelujah live for a tv special that will air nationally in Canada this Christmas/holiday season :D

It's wonderful news. As well as the beautiful gift of song that Leonard Cohen has made to artists and audiences alike, gracious thanks are due his management for their straightforwardness and kindness ( :

When I know more details of the show title and air dates/times, I'll post word, but, for now, I can say that the special will be broadcast across Canada on the CHUM network of tv stations, and on the Bell ExpressVU Satellite system.

peace, Adrian
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

That's wonderful news, Adrian :D ......Congratulations to both, and all, of you!!! I've already told you on the Sony Board, but will again here, that I finally heard it, and it's truly lovely! I hope you're able to get a high-quality videotaping and recording of this milestone. Again, congratulations :D !

~ Elizabeth
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

Thanks Elizabeth!! I'm very glad you're able to hear the song file, and you've enjoyed it! :D We're very excited about the tv broadcast, and, you can be sure, we'll do our best to get a nice copy of the show. I'm half-way through my antibiotics, and realllly looking forward to getting back into the thick of things. Right now, all of this is keeping me "up". :wink:

bye for now, Adrian
Kjelling

Hallelujah

Post by Kjelling »

What's up with this Rufus Wainwright? His Cale-"inspired" "Hallelujah" cover is very good, but his diction is strange at places.

It really sounds like he's singing

"And remember when I moved in you, the holy duck was moving too"!

Listen to it, man! I'm not kidding.
Adrian

Holy Duck, Songman!

Post by Adrian »

"holy duck" eh?

hehehe

I'll have to listen again ( :
Adrian

tv special to feature Allison Crowe's version of Hallelujah

Post by Adrian »

Canadians, and some Americans living near the northern border, will have several opportunities this holiday season to witness Hallelujah performed by Allison Crowe.

An one-hour tv special, "Allison Crowe: Tidings", will be broadcast across Canada on December 23 and 25. A live concert performance was recorded Inside Pandora's Box (the Victoria, B.C. tv studios of the New VI).

"Tidings" airs December 23 at 8 p.m. and December 25 at 5 p.m. and 10 p.m. on The New VI (Channel 12 in British Columbia). It will also air nationally on CHUM's The New VR (Barrie), The New RO (Ottawa and the National Capital Region), The New PL (London), The New NX (Wingham), and The New WI (Windsor). From coast to coast in Canada the program can be seen on the Bell ExpressVu satellite system, Channel 259. (Show dates/times will be the same across the nation.)

We hope you will enjoy the experience ( :

peace & cheers, Adrian
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Adrian ~

It's great to see that Allison is getting so much coverage and exposure with "Hallelujah" 8) . Good for her, and good for Leonard and his song :D ! I'm trusting you'll let us know your satisfaction level with how the editing went.

~ Elizabeth
Adrian

Hallelujah reaches people ( :

Post by Adrian »

One reviewer said of Hallelujah: "I have to say it's one of the most beautiful songs ever written."

It's a wonderful thing when a song carries through different voices to reach people. I know that Alley (and I) feel profoundly blessed that there is such a song written ( :

As for the tv show, the producer emailed me today to say he is very happy, and he's a good person as well as a top-notch creative mind, so, we're feeling positive (and just a little nervous). I'll be sure to share the word when the program is broadcast!

cheers, Adrian
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

:D Good :D !

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”