Which is your fav Hallelujah cover?

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Nancy1974

Which is your fav Hallelujah cover?

Post by Nancy1974 »

Mine has to be Jeff Buckley's by a mile off - the first time I heard it, it completly blew me away!
Nancy wore green stockings and slept with everyone!
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Welcome to the Forum, Nancy!
My fav Hallelujah-cover is Enrique Morente's
Spanish interpretation in modern flamenco style on his
Cohen/Lorca album "Omega".
Here in Finland Hector, one of our best singer/songwriters,
made a touching cover in 1994 - it's title is Halleluja.
Jarkko
margaret

Post by margaret »

Definately the Jeff Buckley version. Only heard this quite recently and had to then go searching for his album "Grace".
linmag

Post by linmag »

I like the John Cale version. It seems to combine the best of both of Leonard's versions of the song.
Linda

1972: Leeds, 2008: Manchester, Lyon, London O2, 2009: Wet Weybridge, 2012: Hop Farm/Wembley Arena
dick

Post by dick »

While there are many good versions, I keep coming back to Rufus Wainwright's.

If anyone missed the complications, The movie Shreck has the Cale version in the film, but the Rufus recording is on the soundtrack album.

Take note if anyone has missed it. It has a remarkable purity.

Dick
Hanna

Post by Hanna »

The Jeff Buckley version. I got the CD "Grace" from my English teacher. She tried to convince me that the J. Buckley version was better than Cohen's. I couldn't agree with her, but when I listened to it I was impressed by his Hallelujah. It was great.

Hanna
Byron
Location: Mad House, Eating Tablets, Cereals, Jam, Marmalade and HONEY, with Albert

Post by Byron »

If I get to Heaven, I know I'll hear Jeff Buckley's beautiful voice welcoming me into the fold with his 'Hallelujah.' :D
The guitar accompaniment is absolutely soothing. I wish I could play like that. Pete and I will have to practice some more. :wink:
"Bipolar is a roller-coaster ride without a seat belt. One day you're flying with the fireworks; for the next month you're being scraped off the trolley" I said that.
Nancy1974

Post by Nancy1974 »

I can't make my mind between the two, Jeff's cover is possibly the very best cover of any song I have heard - his voice is certainly angelic. Grace in fact is such a beautiful album, an album that I know I will revisit in ten twenty years time, just like Len's music which is timeless. :)
Nancy wore green stockings and slept with everyone!
TheBlueMask

John Cale.

Post by TheBlueMask »

Hands down... John Cale.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Leonard's own performances from 1988 tour. As for covers, I don't like any of these, I am not pleased by their voices, I must admit. Also I did not hear all covers except mentioned. Maybe Rufus Wainwright has good one, his voice & playing is nice. But if I must choose one really - the honest cover would be Bob Dylan's live cover from Montreal 1988! And that says the-Dylan-heretic :shock:
A'af

Post by A'af »

My own version is very2x the best :oops: but hii...hiii.....only just me know that :cry: :cry: when mine tell no spark between me n her, but now......smooth as smooth can be, thanks Lenny :wink:
Adrian

Allison Crowe's new version of Hallelujah

Post by Adrian »

Canadian singer-songwriter Allison Crowe has just recorded Hallelujah. The recording was made, (a few nights ago), live-off-the-floor in one take. It will be released on an EP, Tidings, this November 20.

For now, to preview the track, here are URLs to a couple of different-sized files:

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/hallelujah128.mp3

http://www.allisoncrowe.com/hallelujah96.mp3

I hope you will enjoy this version of a wonderful song.

peace and cheers, Adrian (Allison's manager)
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, there ya' go, Adrian made it over to Jarkko's site :D ......better to be notified thrice than not at all :wink: . Still another one for Jarkko's list 8) !

If you're still here, Adrian, [even though I suspect you're not] welcome to the Forum :D !

~ Lizzytysh
Adrian

cheers

Post by Adrian »

hello Lizzytysh and everyone ( :

thank you for the welcome, and cheers back at ya!

I apologize if my notice about Allison's Hallelujah seems too ubiquitous. We're very excited and joyed by the recording and anxious to share with those who know and love the song. (And I've just learned how connected are these communities.)

I've been home suffering through a bout of pneumonia all week, and Alley's recording has picked me up spiritually and emtionally. So, you can attribute my enthusiasm to a natural state :wink:

peace, Adrian
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm so glad to see you're still here, Adrian :D 8) !!!

Not "ubiquitous," at all! It's simply that, even prior to your arrival here, I had already seen your notice on the Sony Board; copied-and-pasted it here [hence the "thrice"]; and someone [Helven] had already gone, listened, and commented! I wasn't sure if you were aware of that, but I don't blame you ~ at all ~ for sharing your good news [hence the "better thrice than not at all"]. By the sounds of it, it can easily lift one's spirits! I understand your enthusiasm :D .

I'm further glad to hear that you're apparently doing better with your pneumonia :D .

~ Lizzy

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”