Suzanne on "Recovered" by Denison Witmer

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
jarkko
Site Admin

Suzanne on "Recovered" by Denison Witmer

Postby jarkko » Sun Aug 03, 2003 12:25 pm

Quoted from http://www.citypaper.net/articles/2003- ... here.shtml

Old is the New New Listening to the soft-voiced Denison Witmer's acoustic folk-soul over the last few years, you could tell something was different about the man. He's a rock, an island, a singer/songwriter with such classic sensibilities, you'd think he hasn't turned on his radio in decades. Giving credence to the theory that Witmer was born too late is his latest CD, Recovered (Fugitive), wherein our hero takes on his favorite acoustic songs from the '70s. And it's all disco! Just kidding. With sincerity and respect, he takes on the likes of Big Star ("Nightime"), Gram Parsons ("Brass Buttons"), Carole King ("So Far Away") and Jackson Browne ("Farther On" and "These Days"). Leonard Cohen's "Suzanne" -- a captivating and mysterious song to begin with -- is particularly mesmerizing through Witmer's eyes, with cymbals rushing and trumpets hovering in the shadows. The album isn't officially ready to be released, but some burned copies will be available at his Fire gig.

(Thanks to Dick for finding the album)
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Aug 03, 2003 6:34 pm

Now this is an album that I feel I would really like to have. Much within this brief review causes me to feel this. Thanks for the information, Jarkko.

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”