Suzanne - Usha Uthup (Iyer)

Tributes & covers; Leonard's songs on the soundtracks and TV
Kush

Suzanne - Usha Uthup (Iyer)

Post by Kush »

Saw there was a special section on covers from Asia on Leonardcohenfiles. This was an official release in 1972, possibly the first cover from Asia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzDcpgLdeeQ

Usha Iyer - Usha Sings Love Story And Other Hits album cover

More images
Label: Odeon – S-MOCE.2014, Odeon – S/MOCE 2014
Format:
Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo
Released: 1972
Genre: Jazz, Rock, Latin, Pop, Folk, World, & Country
Style: Bossa Nova, Folk, Pop Rock, Folk Rock
LisaLCFan

Re: Suzanne - Usha Uthup (Iyer)

Post by LisaLCFan »

Interesting cover. Does the way that the song is recorded -- i.e., the instrumentation and Usha's voice being strong and a bit echo-ey -- remind anybody else of Jefferson Airplane's White Rabbit (at least, the first half of White Rabbit)? That immediately came to mind when I began listening to this version of Suzanne. Maybe it's just me!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Hi Lisa,
I can't say I hear the similarity, but I do like her voice and the conviction with which she sings.

BTW re White Rabbit, have you heard the isolated vocal track?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vbrsjurXljk
There are a few postings on a variety of sites.
It has been one of my favourite non-Leonard songs for ages and I was delighted to stumble across this some time back. I think Grace has a fabulous voice.

Enjoy!

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

Thank you, Alan -- I'd never heard the isolated vocal track for White Rabbit. Grace Slick certainly has a powerful voice, almost surreal. I've always loved that song, too -- the vocals and instrumentation are somewhat hypnotic to me, in a trippy, psychedelic sort of way. I've never actually used LSD -- I value my mind a bit too much to risk damaging it with illicit drugs -- but those kinds of songs make me feel like I have vicariously done so (used LSD, that is, not damaged my mind...).

Cheers!
AlanM

Post by AlanM »

Remember what the dormouse said: "Feed your head, feed your head."

This can be done emotionally rather than chemically.
I agree with your comments, Lisa, other than the adjective.
I would have written mind altering drugs rather than illicit drugs.
My philosophy is that you can put whatever you want into your body as long as it doesn't damage me.

Alan
Too much Leonard Cohen is never enough.
London 1972, Adelaide 1980, 1985, 2009
Sydney 2010; Adelaide 2010
Sydney 2013 X2; Melbourne 2013; Adelaide 2013
LisaLCFan

Post by LisaLCFan »

AlanM wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 11:54 am ...I would have written mind altering drugs rather than illicit drugs.
My philosophy is that you can put whatever you want into your body as long as it doesn't damage me...

I see your point about the adjectives, although, I suppose that most "illicit drugs" (in fact, many legal drugs, too) are also "mind-altering drugs" in that they technically alter one's mind, in one way or another, since they directly affect the central nervous system, thus causing some alteration in the brain and thus in the mind. Mind you, I suspect that you are probably referring to hallucinogenic drugs (or similarly potent drugs) that cause rather major alterations in one's perceptions of reality (both external reality and their own personal, internal reality -- i.e., thoughts and feelings, etc).

I do tend to share the view that, as long as what a person puts in their body causes no damage to "me", then, hey, to each their own, but I would add some footnotes, because I would also be concerned about harm that may come to them and to others through their choices. One merely has to read about how some of these "illicit drugs" -- that is, the use, abuse, and/or addition to these drugs -- cause tremendous personal, familial, and/or social/societal damage, which is tragic and I would prefer to see less of that in the world, even if it does not directly affect me (other than sympathetically/empathetically).

But enough of my off-topic seriousness -- White Rabbit is a very cool song, and Usha Uthup's version of Suzanne is wonderful! Speaking of Suzanne, I listened to Leonard's original studio version yesterday -- the whole Songs of Leonard Cohen album, in fact (plus the two bonus tracks added later) -- and, talk about cool and wonderful! What an amazing album -- absolutely timeless, continuing to enthrall and delight no matter how often I hear it!

Cheers!

Return to “Tribute concerts, Cover versions & Soundtracks”