VIP packages - comments

Everything about the first leg of Leonard Cohen's World Tour 2013
John Etherington

VIP packages - comments

Post by John Etherington » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:33 pm

Leonard Cohen - once a voice of the counter-culture, now the darling of the idle rich.
Mabeanie1

Re: VIP packages - comments

Post by Mabeanie1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 1:53 pm

John Etherington wrote:Leonard Cohen - once a voice of the counter-culture, now the darling of the idle rich.
Actually, so far as I could see, on the Fall US/Canada tour, the VIP packages were being bought by genuine fans and members of this forum as a way to get front row centre seats. They then promptly sold the VIP packages for the difference between the ticket cost and the package cost. If the same deal had been offered to us for the O2 concert, I would have bought one in a blink to get a good seat. However, when VIP packages have been offered in the past in Europe (e.g. O2 - July 2008) they have been of the pernicious food and booze ("all you can eat and drink") variety. Now those ARE the province of the idle rich - and party people of all ages - with no interest at all in the music.

Wendy
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:03 pm

John Etherington wrote:Leonard Cohen - once a voice of the counter-culture, now the darling of the idle rich.
well, I guess I am grateful that it is still not "Leonard Cohen - once the darling of the counter-culture, now the voice of the idle rich" :!:
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:07 pm

True, but I don't see "Please Don't Pass Me By" coming back on the set-list, anytime soon!
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:23 pm

John, does this VIP thing happen in the UK at LC gigs? I haven't noticed but no trick will be missed if possible I guess.

This is the same sort of reason why Leonard Cohen playing gigs in Las Vegas doesn't sit well with me.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Jan 10, 2013 5:05 pm

Vicomte - I haven't noticed it at Leonard gigs, yet...but I guess it's only a matter of time. It's happened with just about every other big name act - not least the Rolling Stones! Fortunately, most artists I follow are in the lower to mid-price range. I would have missed the Beach Boys at the Albert Hall last year, if one of Brian Wilson's band had not given me a "V.I.P" ticket as a gesture of thanks, for helping to arrange a gig and radio interview for him.
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Thu Jan 10, 2013 10:13 pm

Does LC know what goes on regarding these tickets? It used to be an exciting time knowing you could go along and get a ticket to see your idols. Now it is a time fraught with tension wondering if you can even get tickets at all, never mind having what's left after the rich have creamed the best. You can call as soon as they are on sale to find the best are already gone.
I have my ticket for the 02 as my daughter is not fully mobile and I knew she would want to go so I will sit with her on the disabled platform. Easy to get a ticket for this, as I just rang the O2 and got booked immediately.
But a friend knowing I would want to go called me saying he had tickets near the front, he is not a member of this site, but he had these tickets before they went on general sale. Asking how he got them he said they were being offered where he worked for anyone who had an American Express Card. It all smells.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:21 am

;-)
Last edited by Steve Wilcox on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Fri Jan 11, 2013 2:16 am

Steve,

Firstly the film you speak of was 40 years or so ago and a far different scene, so a lot of time and experience has gone in to tours since then. Errors made on any tour are then errors later corrected.

As for perfect this and perfect that, what do you expect? The crew and artists are professionals at their individual art. Their have been hitches, there has been cancellations, these are unfortunate and mostly unavoidable. Leonard himself had to take 6 months, or so off due to his back problem, poor Sharon also missed some gigs through illness, there will be things backstage that go awry, there have been problems, rare as they are, when the sound wasn't perfect. Recently we have had ticket problems, change of venues, earlier in the tour there were people that had to sort out hotel and travel plans, which for some meant work related problems. You speak as though you know what goes on behind the scenes when you quote below.... Do you have certain proof that what you say is totally correct?

But, since 2008, Leonard Cohen's machine has successfully pulled off about 300 shows without a single hitch. Each night - perfect sound, perfect lighting, perfect presentation. And, behind the scenes, obviously trouble-free accomodations, meals, and transportation, all contributing to healthy well-rested performers.

I don't intend to put blame on Leonard Cohen but all this expense you put forward to justify the prices, well back before this the tour (for ease let's say 2008 on) and thirteen years or so before, we could buy decent tickets at good prices, the crew back then were as good, the artists were most certainly as good, the sound was more than acceptable, everything was as good as you see it today. even back in 1970 on the IOW, I found it acceptable and at this point it is sometimes hard to reconcile the two eras and decide what was best, my heart says yesteryear but I also like to see LC today as well.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Fri Jan 11, 2013 10:31 am

Vicomte - I totally agree. The sound has always been good at Leonard Cohen concerts (and remember I've been to every U.K. tour). Some of the "Bird On a Wire" tour was an interesting abberation, and was compensated by a splendidly subversive spirit, even though it may have been lacking in gloss. "Vive la revolution!" I say...if we can't take-on the likes of Ticketmaster and the other thieves who control the music industry, how are we ever gonna take-on the Tories...the bankers...the Illuminati?!
Last edited by John Etherington on Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Fri Jan 11, 2013 3:51 pm

:(
Last edited by Steve Wilcox on Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:54 am

Many thousands of shows go without hitches every year, it is called, as I said, professionalism, from the crew to the main man, all are professional, why make such a fuss, it has always been thus. I don't know about you but I personally have been going to gigs since the mid sixties when some of the Worlds greatest musicians/bands started out playing gigs in Twickenham, Richmond , Putney (West London) and the surrounding area. Some of the greatest gigs have been when all around appeared chaotic, think of The Who and later on Ian Dury for example. Then many of those we saw as kids eventually started playing giant arenas and so more people were needed to transport sound and light but did it make them any better, well that is debatable, normally yes but sometimes it takes away that early rawness. You see The Who today, only two left from the original line up and still a great band (well I think so) I guess what I am saying is, you don't have to pay huge prices to see great artists and I'll say it again, even if you are fed up with any of us whining about prices, how can you justify it just by saying look at who has to be paid, it is not so much the people who have to be paid, as much as those people behind the scenes who make a lot of money simply by taking note that LC sells tickets "let's hit the fans in the pocket". He is still the same person, there is nothing new, normal amount of musicians and backing singers (well OK, one more than previous tours) nothing so fantastically different that means charging such high prices these days.

If you have the money or just the ability to pay and not care about prices then good for you, some of us that have a moan about the prices might have more money but do not feel the prices on this tour are easily justified, especially when you look at these rather expensive VIP packages in the USA, you realise that perhaps it is not about the music as was but the man himself and the want for the goodie bags with cheap memorabilia plus good seats. Sadly having been to shows since 1970, I suppose one has been spoilt by the past and it comes across to me now that probably the main reason that LC went back on the road was to recuperate the money he had lost, I imagine that has long been recuperated but the ticket prices still rise, online touts are still making a mint (one guess where their tickets come from) and many fans still pay the asking price and some of us whine about the prices and some of you moan about us that whine about the prices, et voila, that's what forums are for ;-)
Neil from The Young Ones
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:09 am

Vicomte - I can't disagree with any of that, either. A major issue of contention with me is that the suckers are now being hyped into buying "V.I.P." packages just to get decent seats. That means that if you take someone to a show, you're looking at $1000 for a night out, with a bunch of duplicated capitalist-clutter thrown-in. Furthermore it's automatically assumed that you can sell unwanted items on e-bay if you don't need them. If the music industry want to recoup for lost earnings, why don't they ban bloody youtube, recording equipment, cameras etc. and release more official DVDs and live recordings. I also think most people would not mind paying a little more for tickets that were properly regulated and prevented from entering the "secondary market" (i.e. get rid of pirates and touts) . Like you, I'm lucky enough to have experienced the golden-age of concerts, seen hundreds of gigs, and can now more or less take it or leave it. However, things dont bode well for younger concert-goers.
Last edited by John Etherington on Sat Jan 12, 2013 10:09 am, edited 5 times in total.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:31 am

I can attest to being one of those "suckers," John. Given the 'choice' of seats, exactly as you said, I had to pay that premium price. Now... I'll be VERY upset if good seats become available at the $250 price.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ilion

Post by ilion » Sat Jan 12, 2013 11:42 am

Let me chime in since at his last Vancouver concert I bought diamond VIP seats and top Non-VIP seats.

When I first went to buy tickets I knew I wanted the VIP package, but I had some weird trouble with the web form and couldn't purchase the VIP set. So after fiddling with it a bit I resigned to purchase non-VIP tickets. I did pay for the top seats outside of VIP and at that point I got 6th row. Personally I would say 6th row is not bad. Certainly not the doom and gloom people are making it out to be.

Awhile later I figured out what the problem was when trying to get the VIP tickets. Tickets had been on sale for a decent length of time at this point - I believe between an hour or two - but when I went to purchase I was still able to get the diamond package and front row tickets. I found some fans for the other set I bought and they were very happy with them.

I would have gladly paid a couple hundred dollars for the limited edition lithographs anyway, so I was quite happy with the diamond package.

So, If you want tickets and you go through the fan forum presale, you'll likely get very good seats in whichever section you decide, and the top section for non-VIP is very good indeed.

Return to “THE SPRING 2013 TOUR IN NORTH AMERICA”