Filming the concert in Pula

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Goldin

Filming the concert in Pula

Post by Goldin »

Hello friends,
Some assumptions:

1. We are filming Leonard Cohen concerts. That's a fact.
One song, two songs, five songs, ten songs, doesn't matter.

2. Dozens of Hallelujah and Manhattan, that's okay. As Master once sang, it's better than one and it's better than none.

3. But - sometimes we miss really unique items.
E.g. - the only performance of Night Comes On in 2010.
Most recent example - everyone's frustration after the (unfilmed) first performance of Choices.

4. We all have favourite songs. And we want to "save" them - we're always happy to return back in time and "see it again".

5. On the other hand... When we listen to these songs, what do we want to do?
Is it - filming, catching musicians' faces in the lens, worrying about shacking hands?
The answer is no.

So, that's my suggestion:
Let's unite our forces and determine, who wants -> who can -> who will capture each song of Pula concert.
We have enought time now (online) and - final round - during the Aug 1 or Aug 2 meet-ups - to make our plan.

I hope that doesn't sound like I want to obligate anyone. Just don't forget: together we stand, divided we fall.
Divided we'll spend unforgettable time, we'll hear great music, powerfull poetry, and we'll get some (many) notable video-souveniers.
Together we'll get everything mentioned above,
plus the complete video recording of the concert,
plus the opportunity to listen to your favourite songs, to laught and cry and clap hands and whistle and jump on the stage. Perhaps, even smoke if you are already 80.

Please let me know if you want to participate. Thanks!
Mabeanie1

Re: Filming the concert in Pula

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I take photos but never film (and don't watch YouTube clips either) so count me out.

HOWEVER have you thought about what the security will be like in Pula? If they stop people taking videos, as they did in Berlin, then a plan to share out who is going to film what won't work!

Just a thought ......

Wendy
(still under 80 but a non-smoker anyway!)
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Thanks, Wendy.

I thought about the security too. As for me, to have a weak plan is better than to have no plan at all.

Another - almost unreleated to this thread - question I'm worry about is a curfew time in Pula. I haven't found any information yet.
tigrib

Post by tigrib »

usually I cant resist, so count me in :)
2008 Berlin, Hamburg, Oberhausen, Cologne, Berlin, Colmar, Barcelona, Las Vegas, San Jose, Salzburg, Berlin, Strasbourg, Marseille, Dortmund, Stuttgart, Las Vegas 2010
2012 Ghent (x2), Berlin, Moenchengladbach, Lisbon
2013 Berlin ... Pula ... ?
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

Aha. Great, Birgit, you give me back my hope.
mutti

Post by mutti »

Most recent example - everyone's frustration after the (unfilmed) first performance of Choices.
I was at the first performance of Choices in Winnipeg with Joy E. I think we were the only 2 forum members in attendance.
I do not take video's or record at the concerts as I leave that to others who are very good at that. For me, it takes away from being in the present enjoying the music itself, allowing it to take me to many depths of myself I didn't even knew exist. So I would get too distracted.
That being said I do watch you tube's and listen to the vines and am so grateful for those that do capture these and share them with the rest of us.
I too wish Winnipeg had been filmed...the introduction to Choices was touching...and I would especially like to hear the guy again that yelled out at the beginning of Famous Blue Raincoat:
"I love you Leonard! I want to have your baby!". The whole crowd burst out laughing as did Leonard. It was a moment to remember.
Great idea Goldin...
Leslie 8)
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

I'm with Leslie - I don't video and and I have stopped taking photos because so many other get better pics even when I am up close. But your idea Roman, make all the common sense for getting a fantastic video of a specific concert. Hope there are enough people here that will take you up on this idea.
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
Inge

Post by Inge »

"Goldin wrote: "Another - almost unreleated to this thread - question I'm worry about is a curfew time in Pula. I haven't found any information yet."

Leif Bodnarchuk wrote in his blog "Writing Man, Here My Words" the following: "Where time is concerned, if we look at how long it took to get in, logic presents a foregone conclusion: it’s going to take a long time to get out. With a curfew of midnight Friday, I reckon 4am Saturday is a realistic time to see the back of the final truck."

Mr. Bodnarchuk is a crew member in the tour and writes about his work as a technician in Leonard's tour, so I guess we can trust this information about the curfew.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

You tube by now is ' saturated' with videos of leonard's concerts- many of them very good.
it will be a good resource once his touring is in the past :(
No substitute of course for the live concert but better than nothing and it is good that this olympian period of his career has been captured so well.
Of course use of such resources is optional ! At the end of the day high quality audio recordings work best for me - often play them in the car or listen to them while i'm walking

i hope to film a lot of the Amsterdam concert since it might be his last ever in Europe ( hopefully not but certainly a possibility)

As for Pula , i hope to see video that captures the wonderful setting .....
Wasn't there so will give vicarious pleasure
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”