CONCERT REPORT: Hamburg, Germany, July 14, 2013

A new, growing section for more exciting news
leonardo

CONCERT REPORT: Hamburg, Germany, July 14, 2013

Post by leonardo »

amrei, your set list of the Hamburg 130714 concert at viewtopic.php?f=75&t=33984 is correct. anyway the last encore, a surprise to me, is a song , to which we danced as kids (I was born in 1945) - the song is from Doc Pomus and an co author which might be googlized.
the title: Save The Last Dance For Me, it was a hit for Ben.E.King and The Drifters in 1960.
p.s. I´ll send you a pm, I guess, my wife and you met in berlin 2009
Amrei

Re: CONCERT REPORT: HAMBURG, JULY 14

Post by Amrei »

Hej Leonardo,

That's true - but I have heard him sing "Save The Last Dance for me" already in several 2012 concerts, and even though it's not one of his own, my heart melts every time I hear him sing it ;P

Yours,
Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.
crista

Post by crista »

A first short article in a Hamburg newspaper:

Montag 15 . Juli 2013, 7:42
Hamburger Abendblatt
http://www.abendblatt.de

Hamburger O2 World
Leonard Cohen begeistert mit dreistündigem Konzert
Der kanadische Liedermacher Leonard Cohen ist 78 Jahre alt - und kein bisschen müde. Am Sonntag lieferte der Altmeister in der Hamburger O2 World ein stimmungsvolles Konzert ab.

Foto: dpa [I don't manage to insert the photo. In any case it is not from the concert - just a guitar]
Leonard Cohen begeisterte in der O2 World (Symbolbild)

Hamburg. Der kanadische Liedermacher Leonard Cohen hat seine Fans bei einem stimmungsvollen Konzert in Hamburg begeistert. Der 78-Jährige nahm am Sonntagabend in der O2 World das Publikum auf einen rund dreistündigen Streifzug durch sein musikalisches Schaffen mit. Ob "Suzanne", "Halleluja" oder "So Long, Marianne" – der Pop-Poet ließ vor etwa 7000 Zuhörern fast keinen seiner zahlreichen Klassiker aus. Zudem spielte Cohen einige Lieder seines aktuellen Albums "Old Ideas", mit dem er sich im vergangenen Jahr zurückgemeldet hatte. Nächste Station seiner Sommertour ist am Mittwoch Berlin.
(dpa)

My translation:

Leonard Cohen inspires with a three-hour concert.
The Canadian songwriter Leonard Cohen is 78 years old - and not at all tired. Sunday the old master delivered a concert full of atmosphere at the Hamburg O2 World.

Hamburg. The Canadian songwriter Leonard Cohen inspired his fans at a concert full of atmosphere in Hamburg. On Sunday evening the 78-year-old took the audience along on a ramble of about three hours through his musical work. Whether “Susanne”, “Hallelujah” or “So long, Marianne” – in front of some 7,000 listeners the pop-poet hardly left out any of his numerous classics. In addition, Cohen played some songs from his current album “Old Ideas”, with which he had signalled his return last year. Next stop of his summer tour is Berlin on Wednesday.
Last edited by crista on Sat Jul 20, 2013 11:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1979 Cologne Messehalle 8 - 2012 New York Madison Square Garden - 2013 New York Radio City Music Hall x2; Zurich Hallenstadion
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

Thank you for posting, and translating, these articles!
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 »

...I so much enjoyed the concert...

The o2 arena in Hamburg was situated next to an industrial area. From the S-Bahn train station there were shuttle buses driving to the arena, passing factories,
which took about 5 min. Next to it stood a big sports arena, which was busy: some football match was going on in parallel to Leonard & UH band playing next door.
They opened the doors of the inner hall rather late at around 18.45, due to soundcheck i was told. Lucky some who could listen to the soundcheck in Lucca..
The concert began at 20:15. I love it when they start a bit later than written on the paper. It makes me more relaxed.

I had the impression that Leonard was in high spirits, in such a great mood during the Hamburg concert night.
Leonard was wonderful beyond words. He really enjoyed himself, i felt, and so did the band. Did Hattie have some cold or infection?
I couldn't hear it, the three girls were so good. I definitely forgot my migraine during the concert, which came from my 2 1/2 hours (lack of) sleep.

Beautiful red roses were given during the encore. That was such a sweet gesture. I didn't stand in front for the encores, so i could not see so well,
but i guess it was by some forum member :) Leonard held the red roses up and close to his chest.

The audience seemed appreciative and less stiff (as sometimes in concerts in Germ.?), and grateful to hear another last encore: Save the last dance for the last song made me extremely happy...and sad at the same time when it ended. Also, it was so nice to meet some familiar faces in front of the stage and say hello. Uwe and Susi from Switzerland, Salut Christelle from Paris, Hartmut, Ute...and others.

I cannot praise enough. Leonard's energy was so contagious last night. Deeply touched. Lost for words!

Nicole
DSC03742 [1600x1200].JPG
DSC03749 [1600x1200].JPG
DSC03751 [1600x1200].JPG
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The venue - O2 World Hamburg (previously known as Color Line Arena) is a modern, multi-purpose arena in Hamburg. It opened in 2002 - and the capacity is 16,000.

This is Hamburg -

Instagram -

Here are links to Leif Bodnarchuk's NO IDEAS blog - always some interesting things there.

Hamburg - pre-concert – http://dragonhelm.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... amburg-o2/
Hamburg - the show - http://dragonhelm.wordpress.com/2013/07 ... burg-show/

Video -

Uploaded by MissMoreMusic -
I’m You Man
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKS0VUQdmGg

Hallelujah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WheVNEGQa0E

Uploaded by FrostbiteZ1 -

The Partisan
http://youtu.be/81twFCMpmM8

Dance Me to End of Love
http://youtu.be/5yLp7PjDnic

Lover Lover Lover
http://youtu.be/x5FPGCyTekA

The Future
http://youtu.be/G3qle1no-mI

Uploaded by Marc Roed

Lover Lover Lover
http://youtu.be/QD0orXn5sTo
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Harriet175 wrote:Also, it was so nice to meet some familiar faces in front of the stage and say hello. Uwe and Susi from Switzerland, Salut Christelle from Paris, Hartmut, Ute...and others.
Salut to you as well! - And I'm glad you managed to 'deliver' your flowers.
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

P1070323.jpg
a very beautiful + happy Sharon after Alexandra leaving
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

Setlist
Setlist
i gave this setlist away after making this photo to a upset young lady,
she couldn´t get one....
it´s great to know what we could get....left side down...tonight will be fine :)
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
mutti

Post by mutti »

Ute that is so nice that you gave away your setlist. There are so many people that would love them and its a pity when they go to the same people each time. I may get hollered at for saying that. I have had the good fortunate of getting a few and then I decided to stop and let other's have the chance. In fact to get one and give it away is really awesome.
Sounds like another great concert.
Leslie
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
joyezekiel

Post by joyezekiel »

mutti wrote:Ute that is so nice that you gave away your setlist. There are so many people that would love them and its a pity when they go to the same people each time. I may get hollered at for saying that. I have had the good fortunate of getting a few and then I decided to stop and let other's have the chance. In fact to get one and give it away is really awesome.
Sounds like another great concert.
Leslie
I agree Leslie. A lovely forum member gave me her setlist at the 2010 Las Vegas concert and I treasure that one more than the few others I have. Just shows what lovely people we have in our little community.

Great to hear the concert reports from Europe..... thank you to all who've shared with us.

Joy
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

It was amazing, stunning!! I was overwhelmed with emotions, and I wasn't the only one. It was surely THE BEST Performance from Leonard, that I have seen in 2013! He was in a such good Spirit and mood... even 36 hours after the Event, I'm filled with these beautiful Images and some very, very special and high emotions... It's hard to describe...
He changed the Set spontaneously.... As in Lucca, he skipped "Anthem" and "Tower".... After the Break, he sung "Suzanne". Then they bring the Synthesizer in Position... but once again, he changed his mind and delivered, as far as I can remember, "Waiting for the Miracle"... And a pretty Lady thrown some beautiful Bouquet of Roses to Leonards left side (from the side of the crowd it was the right side). He did see theme, but he didn't take theme up right then... he waited for two more Songs, and then he take them up... I know for sure, it was a very special and emotional Moment for this very special young Lady!
Leonard was in such a good Spirit, laughed a lot of Times, get's on his knees, standing up, dancing in his very own style: I love it...
Yes, it's true: he skipped a views Intros here and there, shorted some Songs... But in the other Hand: they changed the Arrangement a little bit even since I did see theme in Montreux and Oberhausen...
Heattie had a Cold. I am sure, that it was a hard Night for her. As far as I can see: she had to get some medicine for 3 or 4 times....
But all of the 3 Ladies sung so very beautiful and cristal-clear as ever (even with this Cold: this three Women can sing better and clearer as other do without such a thing!)
It was overwhelmed a lot of People in the Audiences: I did see some Tears in "the Publics Eyes"...
But I'm not very sure about the Lineup after the break, he changed so much and, as I saying before, spontaneously...
But I did see, that Neil wasn't in Position and he have to hurry to get the "Harmonica" for "The Partisan"...
And then, Leonard was "Burning down the House"...
The crowd get forward to the Stage after "Take this Waltz": for me, it was very, very special, unique and very different Moment than at some other Concerts!
I had the big luck to stand in the first Row... I couldn't believe it: you see and hear them talking very clearly between the Songs...
They laughed together and they Sung together as it was for the very first Time: everyone could feel, that they want to make every Concert "the first one" for this crowd...
It was outstanding and very, very beautiful!
That's all I can say!
And by the way: I could taken the best Pictures, that I ever made from Leonard and all of the UHTC!
I will to tend them like "a Treasure"...
And in my Heart, I will treasure this Evening with Leonard, Sharon, Hattie, Charley, Javier, Neil, Andrea, Mitch, Raffael Bernardo for ever!
And: I'm looking for Berlin and Vienna and Zürich... I am sooo very lucky to have the Tickets for this Concerts...
If I could make it, I would go to every single Concert.
Leonard and his Crew has never ever "let me down"... on the contrary: they lifted me up and gave me a kind of strength!
And this Evening in Hamburg was high above all my expectations...
I just can say: GO to the Concerts, open your mind, your Hearts and "drink it in exquisite Musics"!

Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
Last edited by susanne30072009 on Tue Jul 16, 2013 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 »

Hartmut wrote: Salut to you as well! - And I'm glad you managed to 'deliver' your flowers.
Salut! I'm glad that you are glad - about such a simple gesture
susanne30072009 wrote:... And a pretty Lady thrown some beautiful Bouquet of Roses to Leonards left side (from the side of the crowd it was the right side). He did see theme, but he didn't take theme up right then... he waited for two more Songs, and then he take them up... I know for sure, it was a very special and emotional Moment for this very special young Lady!
Uwe + Susanne, Switzerland
Actually, Leonard picked the flowers up slightly after When you've fallen on the highway and your lying in the rain...
Rather symbolical. For someone like me who is soaking in the rain
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich
SeventhSon

Post by SeventhSon »

So it seems that Leonard dropped Anthem and Tower of Song. :(

Personally I would have dropped other songs, such as Heart with no Companion and Who by Fire. ;-)
Ivan.Tereshko

Post by Ivan.Tereshko »

I would not drop any song at all, all of them are beautiful. Especially I like the two that you've mentioned ;-)

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”