A new, growing section for more exciting news
Hartmut

Re: URGENT: LONDON AND LEEDS RE-SCHEDULED

Post by Hartmut »

Wow, Caren. Didn't expect that.
Caren

Post by Caren »

Clive, just out of curiosity. Were you personally affected by any of the shows being rescheduled?

@ Zimmy apologies accepted.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Why do you ask but as a matter of fact I was meant to be in Edinburgh the weekend of leeds concert to see a Peter Doig exhibition (my other hobby other than great music and gigs is history of art and doig is a personal favourite) and i will now probably miss it which is a great dissapointment to me. My hotel was cancellable only because the flexi and non flexi rates were the same and fortunately trains were not yet available otherwise i would have bought them. I was lucky.

However my interest in this matter is very simply that i belive in total transparency and dislike the big ticket agencies anyway. We pay high booking fees and get very little for it. Occasionally i have booked the wrong date at a hotel or train and i have to suffer the consequences.

If a mistake is made then those at fault should be honest enough to admit it and contrite enough to apologise in a full and timely manner.
Last edited by clive cass on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

The email Caren describes was sent by Marie and me to every member who has on this thread or on Leonard's Facebook page reported financial losses because of the re-scheduling of Leeds or London. I think Leonard's desire to assist forum members with their losses on indirect costs demonstrates his generous and caring nature. He asked us to do this already a week ago, but it took some time to arrange everything.
If there are any members who haven't reported about their Leeds or London losses yet, please contact me or Marie.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Thanks for the explanation Jarkko. I never doubted Leonard's integrity.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I have the utmost respect for Leonard Cohen, what he has offered to do is almost unheard of but please lizzytysh, do keep it in the realms of sensibility, to say it is a miracle is just plain ridiculous.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Oh, really, Vicomte.
Well, the word "Miracle" is a bit of a relevant one in Leonard's world, but rather than try to construct my sentence to accommodate either the lyric or the title, I just went with the single buzzword [so to speak ;) ]; however, I'm deeply interested to know of the precedent you have in mind. You're free to sort any of the various arts, visual or performing.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mutti

Post by mutti »

Actually I have been getting more and more upset by the direction this discussion took.
Over the last couple of decades I have seen quite a few concerts by various other artist getting rescheduled. Some of those without even any explanation given.
Never ever, not even once I have seen any commentary by the artist himself.
Most of you will have read my comment in one of the first posts in this thread. I voiced my utter confidence in Leonard's love for music and his fans. I just knew he does care about us who have spent years and years loving his poetry and music.
Thank you Caren for this.
I have not been directly affected by this change of dates but I was at one concert that was postponed by 2 days and I just had to deal with my disappointment, cut my losses and carry on. I have been surprised and shocked by the anger and 'sense of entitlement' displayed on this thread. Mistakes happen, we are all human and whoever is to blame to me doesn't really matter. We are fortunate to even know what the reason for the changes are as Caren mentions often no one knows. I respect that Leonard is honouring and choosing not to work on these 2 holidays.
It is unfortunate this happened but in my opinion we are damn lucky Leonard is still touring and giving so much of his energy to his concerts. The fact that he has the energy to be touring and sharing his song and music at this stage of his life is so amazing and we who get to see him are blessed. This outweighs it all for me.
After reading Jarkko's email I am touched by Leonard's generosity of spirit and kindess.
Leslie 8)
Last edited by mutti on Thu Jul 11, 2013 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1988 Vancouver
2009 Victoria/Seattle/Almost Red Rocks/Las Vegas/San Jose.
2010 Sligo x 2/Victoria/Vancouver/Portland/Las Vegas x 2.
2012 Austin x 2/Seattle/Vancouver/Montreal x 2.
2013 Oakland x 2/New York City x 2/Winnipeg...
Frances Clynes

Post by Frances Clynes »

I have also received an email about this and I want to personally thank Leonard for this gesture and Jarkko and Marie for arranging it
mickjaggerscat

Post by mickjaggerscat »

It sounds as if Leonard is being very generous. Postponement is temporary, but I remember a Leonard Cohen concert in Athens in June 1988 that was cancelled due to a massive thunderstorm. Some friends and I had tickets and came in on the boat for the day. There was nowhere to complain (no internet) in those days so we just cried our eyes out and went home the next morning, while the thousands of people who had had the good luck to buy tickets for the second concert, enjoyed themselves. At the time I just thought of it as an Act of God. It was character-building -- :roll:
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Acts of g-d are dissapointments we all face in life and as you say are part of life.

It also takes character to admit mistakes and apologise and compensate those affected.

I do not believe this thread has ever been aggressive towards leonard or the change of dates. There has been a lot of frustration expressed mainly due to the lack of a thorough explanation and apolgy. There have been occAsional slight disagreements between members perhAps where one party has suffered more than another or more likely where posts have been missinterpreted as numerous revisions to posts have been made.

I coould be sarcastic and say that after these 2 date changes my character is now fully developed and i am ready to join the french foreign legion but that is just a joke and not a snipe at mickjaggerscat
surrender

Post by surrender »

Caren,
thank you for being a voice of silent ones,
with love and gratitude,
Jarmila
1988: Amsterdam 1993: Nijmegen 2008: Amsterdam|Oberhausen 2009: Cologne|Antwerp|Barcelona 2010: Ghent (8/20-21-22)|Lille
2012: Ghent (8/12)|Amsterdam (8/21-22)|Verona|Lisboa 2013: Antwerp|Brussels|Rotterdam|Amsterdam

After silence, that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music...
(Aldous L. Huxley)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well and beautifully said, mutti. All of it.
After reading Jarkko's email I am touched by Leonard's generosity of spirit and kindness.
Yes, we know these of Leonard... and, yet, this manifesting of them is beyond all imagining.
This is the ONE aspect of this situation that can be directly attributed to Leonard.

As you said, I, too, was directly affected by the one you were and was gutted for you. Thanks to the generousity of some friends, I was able to stay. It still cost me more than originally planned. The concert made all the changes worthwhile. I remember the shock of first hearing about the postponement.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

Thanks Caren for posting the email and for all you have written. I also received it and it brought tears to my eyes. I did not expect compensation and will not ask for any ... in the end, with a bit of persuasion, I managed to keep the additional costs down. But I was more than touched by this gesture and I say again what I have said many times, we are privileged to be treated in such a way as forum members by Leonard and his team and extremely lucky to have Jarrko, Marie and others who ensure our voice is heard. A thousand praises deep! Paul
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
jim devlin

Post by jim devlin »

mickjaggerscat - may i ask you to nail the date of the show you missed out on in Athens June 88 because of the thunderstorm/weather problems you mention. was it the 19th? or 20th? i'm just trying to ensure my tour dates/venues lists are kept up-to-date. thanks.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”