URGENT: LONDON AND LEEDS RE-SCHEDULED

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Mabeanie1

Re: URGENT: LONDON AND LEEDS RE-SCHEDULED

Post by Mabeanie1 »

harald wrote:More to the topic (than my last post).

A mistake has been made, what´s more a silly mistake.
Fortunately in a minor concern, it was concert dates not nuclear bombs.
I sympathise with the ones who suffer losses, but hey, it´s not a catastrophe.
Nevertheless.
People make mistakes, sometimes even twice.
Everyone has, I have done it.
I am always grateful when the bashing stops.

There is a crack in everything, that´s how the light comes in.
I can only assume you weren't affected by the changes Harald.

BTW professionals should not make the same mistake twice. I would have lost my job if I had made a mistake of those proportions once, never mind twice.

Wendy
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

It's very true what you're saying regarding professionals, Wendy.
And, when it comes to the planning of the concerts, it's not unreasonable for us to expect the same level of professionalism behind the scenes as we do once we're in our seats and watching what's happening onstage.

If it came down to Robert Kory, I cannot imagine Leonard's firing him. The history with AEG is also so long and relevant that it's difficult to imagine a firing there. Still, in the end, someone made a grievous error in the context of concert scheduling. Was it the same person as last year or someone else? Who knows? Hopefully, it was STRONGLY addressed by whomever would have that responsibility in the chain of command.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Harald

I think I could agree with you or at least think that this thread should now be retired if, as I have previously suggested, a statement was made by Leonard's management explaining exactly what happened and who was responsible and offer an apology and preferably with a personal comment from Leonard himself. Frankly unless Leonard signs off the statement I would not consider a statement to be complete not because I want to drag Leonard into this but because he is perhaps the only person we can trust and we will accept his statement of facts and apology.

It is not a pound of flesh I want but until the facts are known people will continue to speculate, discuss and be angry with the situation and they should be entitled to that and perhaps even be expected to be that.

I can hardly expect an offer to compensate anyone who has incurred actual losses or even just stress and disappointment although of course that would be the ultimate scenario. Perhaps an invitation to submit a "complaint" which will be considered would be appropriate and perhaps some sort of gift such as a signed programme might be sent to those affected as a gesture of goodwill.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Isn't this an explanation and apology?
LEONARD COHEN’S SHOWS IN LEEDS AND LONDON RESCHEDULED

When Leonard Cohen learned today that two of his U.K. concerts were scheduled on days of solemn religious observance, he respectfully asked AEG to move the dates. We at AEG, and Leonard, apologize deeply for the inconvenience this will cause, and we hope and trust that the reasons for the changes will be understood.
Sincerely,
AEG
Leonard Cohen
It doesn't explain how it got scheduled or who did it, but it appears that it could have been someone at AEG.

With Leonard having just found out [when this was written], it appears he doesn't micro-manage his 'team'/'extended team' and relies on a certain level of base trust.
~ Oscar Wilde
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

No i do not think that is a full explanation or apology least of all coming from aeg rather than leonards management or himself. There us also no explanation as to how the error happened and who or at least which organisation was at fault. The element of apology is not long or contrite enough. As i said i am not after blood just a full explanation amd apology.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
greeny

Post by greeny »

clive cass wrote:No i do not think that is a full explanation or apology least of all coming from aeg rather than leonards management or himself. There us also no explanation as to how the error happened and who or at least which organisation was at fault. The element of apology is not long or contrite enough. As i said i am not after blood just a full explanation amd apology.
let us know how you get on Clive.... no need for a running commentary though.... ;-)
Turkey

Post by Turkey »

Hello and greetings. Can anyone please explain why the concerts are changed? Merci.
Caren

Post by Caren »

Actually I have been getting more and more upset by the direction this discussion took.

Over the last couple of decades I have seen quite a few concerts by various other artist getting rescheduled. Some of those without even any explanation given.

Never ever, not even once I have seen any commentary by the artist himself.

Most of you will have read my comment in one of the first posts in this thread. I voiced my utter confidence in Leonard's love for music and his fans. I just knew he does care about us who have spent years and years loving his poetry and music.

Therefore I am very happy to be able to tell you about an email I and some other members of the forum who were affected financially by the rescheduling of those concerts have received.

Quote:

“Leonard feels badly that some loyal fans may have experienced a financial loss because of the rescheduling of concert dates. Consequently, Leonard has instructed Robert to put aside funds to cover some of those losses or extra costs incurred by members from unused or extended travel services.”

“Leonard asked us to tell you how sorry he is about the rescheduling of the London and Leeds concert dates, and the inconvenience and financial loss this has caused. He hopes this gesture will let his fans know how deeply he cares for their welfare.”

This goes unprecedented in the world of music. Leonard did this because he cares and not because he had to.

I just wanted to let you know how deeply we are touched by Leonard's concern and care for our well being. This comes totally unexpected and moved more than one person affected to tears.

I would like to thank Leonard for this kind gesture. I certainly haven't wasted my affection during the last three decades, I have been listening to the person I thought he would be.

All the best from Lucca
Caren
Last edited by Caren on Wed Jul 10, 2013 11:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'm speechless, Caren, except to say that Leonard is an honourable man... and my belief in him has never been in vain.
I'm personally very happy for you and the others who received those letters.
Unheard of... the personal comments by the artist, first; but, this, is totally out of the realm of possibility.
A miracle.
~ Oscar Wilde
basecamp

Post by basecamp »

Thank you dear Caren for you great post! It expresses precisely how I feel!
Thank you Leonard for being so kind! I never ever would expected this!
- Hans
Berlin 90ies /2008: Amsterdam/Berlin/Hamburg/ London RAH /2009: Berlin/Barcelona 2010: Odense/Berlin/Ghent(3x)/Wiesbaden/Strasbourg/Marseilles/Hannover/Las Vegas(2x),2012: Ghent(5x)/Amsterdam(2x)/Berlin/London/Verona/Toulon/Paris(2x)/Barcelona
2013: Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I think this is a very welcome development and whilst it does not explain why the mistake happened or who was at fault the apology and action taken is most appropriate. Clearly the message has gotten through to leonard and the depth of feeling is known to him now as well as the actual losses some people gave suffered.

One could say this was a long time coming and that the statement is short on facts but otherwise it is well composed.

I gave to point out however that this is not an open letter to all fans let alone all forum members but to a few people who have been sent this email and i do not know how these people have been selected but suspect they have made direct contact with leonards management.

I hope an open statement is still made which invites people to make claims if they have suffered genuine and significant losses even if it does not admit liability or guarantee full compensation. I think most decent fans will be satisfied with some recognition and perhaps a special gift in lieu of their losses.
Last edited by clive cass on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Caren, very unwise to post the contents of an email that was private to those concerned, and personally addressing this issue by Leonard. I think the mods need to delete yours and subsequent posts.
To live outside the law you must be honest
Caren

Post by Caren »

In response to one of Clive's remarks I want to state that I have never contacted Leonard's management nor even thought of making any claims.

This is a gesture that comes from Leonard and should be recognised as such.

I do not believe Leonard owes anyone anything. Least of all a public statement to those who have not been affected.

@ Zimmy - be assured I asked for permission to post the content above before doing so.
1990s Berlin 2008:Amsterdam-Berlin-Hamburg-London RAH 2009:Berlin-Barcelona 2010:Odense-Berlin-Gent x3 -Wiesbaden-Marseille-Hannover-Las Vegas x2 2012:Gent x5 -Amsterdam x2 -Berlin-London-Verona-Toulon-Paris x2 -Barcelona 2013:Paris-Antwerp-Mannheim-Brussels-Rome-Lucca-Berlin-Lodz-Prague-Vienna-Pula-Odense-Zurich-Manchester-Leeds-London-Rotterdam
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 »

Sincere apologies then Caren.

Robert
To live outside the law you must be honest
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Caren you are very lucky to have received this unsolicited email from leonards management and all i can do is wonder how you and others have been selected to recive them. Perhaps this and other threads have been thoroughly read to discover worthy recipients from their postings or otherwise leonards managemen have been informed of worthy recipients through other chanels and my best wishes to all those who have received emails or who have suffered any losses as a result of date changes. I have encountered only some inconvenience and changes in plans as my hotel was cancellable except for a £2 charge.

I remain of the view that an open statement at least on this forum if not to all ticket holders would gave been appropriate even if worded differently to the email sent to certain people.

That said, if permission to publish the otherwise private email, was obtianed from its sender, then its contents, has now, by default, become a public statement at least on this forum. It is therefore a shame that it was not posted as a statement in the first place, as well as being sent to select individuals personally.

When a problem arises the best form of damage limitation is an upfront statement of facts and apology from the top.
Last edited by clive cass on Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”