BRITISH TOUR

A new, growing section for more exciting news
anneeshipley

Re: BRITISH TOUR

Post by anneeshipley »

James T wrote:Still, I hope for nicer venues. It's a good idea if this tour was to be an arena tour though definitely. Leeds City Varieties would be nice huh? Opera house again in Manchester or maybe Bridgewater hall. RAH or Barbican in London? Sage Gateshead. Really nice "small" venues would be a nice way to round off this revival. I can't see another huge tour can you? He has his big show in the UK, so smaller dates would be really nice and probably 1 more arena further north. Hopefully not Manchester Arena!
Agree not Manchester or Sheffield arenas--really off these arena shows. City Varieties would be fantastic but only the chosen few could get tickets for there as is so small. A great venue is Harrogate conference centre--been there a few times--just the right size...heres hoping...
Rodin

Post by Rodin »

The Leeds Arena?
Is that where they hold the sheep shearing contests?
Misunderstood
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

Rodin wrote:The Leeds Arena?
Is that where they hold the sheep shearing contests?
certainly do but other times hold concerts

:roll:
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

I recently tried to get tickets for Bruce Springsteen at the Leeds Arena and despite his popularity I normally have no problems get tickets for Springsteen even without a pre sale. I like many opther fans I have spoken to did not get tickets and we all, to a man, suggested the same thing ie that they never went on sale and had already sold out before the public sale. Conspiracy theory maybe and we do get a pre sale for LC but it has put me right off the Leeds Arena for life.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

clive cass wrote:I recently tried to get tickets for Bruce Springsteen at the Leeds Arena and despite his popularity I normally have no problems get tickets for Springsteen even without a pre sale. I like many opther fans I have spoken to did not get tickets and we all, to a man, suggested the same thing ie that they never went on sale and had already sold out before the public sale. Conspiracy theory maybe and we do get a pre sale for LC but it has put me right off the Leeds Arena for life.
Maybe because you live in Manchester you are off the Leeds Arena for life!! We Leeds folk think the arena here is well over due and no conspiracy re tickets its just a smaller arena. Looking forward to Springsteen there....

:D
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

Enjoy the boss in Leeds (i am seeing him in coventry on way to london to see leonard the next night at the o2) and hopefully we will both get to see Leonard (for me again) somewhere nearby for both of us
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

clive cass wrote:Enjoy the boss in Leeds (i am seeing him in coventry on way to london to see leonard the next night at the o2) and hopefully we will both get to see Leonard (for me again) somewhere nearby for both of us
Agreed lets hope we get a concert in the north.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

In an ideal world LC should be touring some of the more scenic spots in the UK - York, Chester, Durham, Edinburgh, Bath, Oxford, Malvern, Stratford, Harrogate, Buxton, Brighton, that sort of thing.

The bottle of mineral water tour maybe!

Or, if he fancies playing to the, for him, more challenging happy and chilled audience, the highlands and islands (plus Warrington Cheshire!) would seem to beckon. No, that's beckon not Brecon ;-)
Last edited by UrPal on Wed Apr 24, 2013 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
margaret

Post by margaret »

Ah ha! Chester would be nice and close, but we haven't even got a cinema in town any more let alone a theatre :roll: The cathedral might be one possibility!
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Manchester Cathedral has hosted some very fine gigs recently (Dirty Three, Anna Calvi, Tindersticks etc), so a cathedral tour would be good for me - plenty of nice big empty spaces around the UK long overdue some good old spiritual sounds ;-)

Might be standing or kneeling room only, but if Leonard himself can stretch to it then so might his "not so tender" audience demographic.
pironi

Post by pironi »

I saw recently a concert at the Bridgewater in Manchester. That would also be a perfect place for Leonard (maybe too small, only less than 2500 seats?)
Pietro.
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Bridgewater Hall would be fantastic. Symphony Hall, Birmingham. All those new classical music venues that sprang up in the 90s and 00s would be good too if you like your multiplex cinema-style surround sound live entertainment in a flagship building with interval drinks and chattering classes-type ambience.

Basically, please give me anything but an arena tour. Every one a big place full of empty experience.
Yiannis

Post by Yiannis »

Do we somewhere have a list of past UK venues ? :)
2012: 2x London (Wembley), Paris (Olympia) | 2013: 2x London (O2 Arena), Rome (Foro Italico Roma), Lucca (Piazza Napoleone), Manchester (Phones4U Arena), Birmingham (LG Arena) | 2014: ...
clive cass

Post by clive cass »

It is most likely that Leonard will perform in Arenas and there are Arenas in the following hence my predictions in the opening post of this thread. The UK does not have any of the mid size theatres of say 5,000 seats as most of our venues are theatres with an average of 2,500 seats then jumping up to arenas with over 10,000 to 15,000 seats. I cannot see him playing to a small number like 2,500 hence me thinking it will be an arena tour. I also seem to recall Jarkko saying it would be an arena tour but may be wrong.

Bournemouth
Cardiff
London
Birmingham or Nottingham
Manchester or Liverpool
Leeds or Sheffield
Newcastle
Glasgow
Poolie

Post by Poolie »

Yiannis -for a full list of Leonard's previous tours simply go to the front page of The Leonard Cohen Files and at the end of the second line of the contents at the very top of the page you'll find Tours And Musicians. Clicking on that will take you to Concert Tours And Music.
Newcastle May1976.... it seems so long ago.

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”