Is it becoming slightly stale?

A new, growing section for more exciting news
Mabeanie1

Re: Is it becoming slightly stale?

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:35 am

Hartmut wrote:Well, for starters, he could have played all the 'Old Ideas' songs - especially if the tour bears that name ...
I believe he has played all of the songs from Old Ideas on this tour, apart from Lullaby - just not all in the same show.

I would dearly love to hear Lullaby live but it didn't have many outings before Old Ideas came out and I suspect Leonard may find it difficult to find an appropriate place in the set for it.

Wendy
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:36 am

Bonn1979 wrote:I wish that they play from time to time all the songs that are listed on the printed set-lists, like
There is a war, passing through, one of us cannot be wrong, Field Commander Cohen or Tonight will be fine!
Yes! Sometimes these songs have been marked on the setlist for "Soundcheck attention". Wouldn't it be great if we could hear the results of their work at the sound check?

Wendy
James T

Post by James T » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:30 pm

I think it's good that people here want him to play every track off the new album, but such a trick is what a lot of people get really annoyed with. I'm fine with the idea, but I don't necessarily think it's a great plan! Over the course of the tour,
I am surprised he hasn't played them all at least a couple of times. Remember though, it's not his style. If he doesn't think he's being true to the song, he'd rather leave it out. We don't know how the some of it has worked in the sound checks etc....

I am very disappointed that I haven't managed to see passing through, and also surprised it hasn't come out of the bag yet! Still, not a complaint, just a surprise. For me, that is a huge anthem for all the cohenites. It is a song which can improve any time of life.
Steve Wilcox

Post by Steve Wilcox » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:55 pm

8)
Last edited by Steve Wilcox on Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
holydove

Post by holydove » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:15 am

Leonard performs every song, every time, with so much intense passion & freshness, it's as though each & every performance is the first & only performance he has ever done or ever will do. Plus, there are always spontaneous variations in each performance. Just the other night, I was listening to a recording of the Boston concert of 12/15/12, & there were so many moments where I felt that I was hearing the songs for the first time, even songs that I've been listening to for 40+ years; & I've had that experience many times, at live performances as well as listening to recordings.

As for Zen, I think the advanced student would have developed the skill to approach everything with "beginner's mind" - an empty/open mind - & therefore nothing - not even the most mundane detail (let alone beautiful brilliant music!) - would ever be boring or stale; such a mind would experience everything as though it is the first time.
Last edited by holydove on Tue Mar 12, 2013 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yentek

Post by yentek » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:38 am

Steve Wilcox - you are absolutely correct. I'm one of 200-300 who have seen multiple concerts and I am tired. Those of us among the regulars have to realize that LC is now in every sense of the word a SUPERSTER - and the vast majority of the audience are newbies. What to me is stunning is that all of the artists who were so much more popular by far than LC "back in the day" are now no longer even on the same page as he is. I saw a ad here in L.A. a few days ago for a Jackson Browne concert at Cal State Northridge - shit - can you even imagine Leonard playing at Cal State Northridge today!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:47 pm

The shows these days are almost by necessity formulaic. Inevitably the set will be structured around Leonard's most commercially appealing albums - I'm Your Man, The Future, Various Positions, and Ten New Songs - peppered with the earliest classics and a few other live certs. This is probably just as well, since most people may only be able to get near or afford one show, and it's important that they're guaranteed a tried and tested set of classics. At this stage in the game (with LC at 78), improvisation can't be expected. However, it was interesting way back when we got total surprises such as "Please Don't Pass Me By", "Die Gedanken Sind Frei", and "Billy Sunday".
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:04 pm

John Etherington wrote:The shows these days are almost by necessity formulaic. Inevitably the set will be structured around Leonard's most commercially appealing albums - I'm Your Man, The Future, Various Positions, and Ten New Songs - peppered with the earliest classics and a few other live certs. This is probably just as well, since most people may only be able to get near or afford one show, and it's important that they're guaranteed a tried and tested set of classics. At this stage in the game (with LC at 78), improvisation can't be expected. However, it was interesting way back when we got total surprises such as "Please Don't Pass Me By", "Die Gedanken Sind Frei", and "Billy Sunday".
I would say that 'La Manic', albeit really only for Les Quebecoises, was the equivalent of those!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:04 am

holydove wrote:Leonard performs every song, every time, with so much intense passion & freshness, it's as though each & every performance is the first & only performance he has every done or ever will do.

As for Zen, I think the advanced student would have developed the skill to approach everything with "beginner's mind" - an empty/open mind - & therefore nothing - not even the most mundane detail (let alone beautiful brilliant music!) - would ever be boring or stale; such a mind would experience everything as though it is the first time.
That's right - it's called mindfulness.

Just be totally there experiencing each moment as fully as possible with , as far as you can manage it, no reference to the past and future. Use all senses and be aware of your emotional experience too. Feel the tears if you are moved in that way !What you are experiencing is unique , never had before and never to be repeated( even if you subsequently listen to an excellent recording of the same show - that will be unique too but different from the live experience)
Don't let any sense of deja vu get in the way !!
Don't leave room for regret , in years to come , that you were at a leonard cohen concert and something got in the way of that unique chance to fully appreciate the experience :D
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
comehealing

Post by comehealing » Tue Mar 12, 2013 1:52 pm

This is a most interesting question and perhaps one we ask about all great artists, especially
those we admire and cherish.

As most have have hinted on this thread, LC brings a freshness and vitality to each show,
that is unparalleled in its majesty, grace and renewal of spirit that they yield. I would argue
that attending a Leonard Cohen concert is akin to watching a Shakespeare production. The text may
stay the same but beacuse the art has universal significance, then new interpretations and awakenings
can be gleaned. The greatest tribute that can be given is that Leonard outshines "artists" who are 50-60
years younger and exhaust themslves after a mere 90 mins of performance. Just goes to show
that age is no barrier if the quality of the work if timeless.

Perhaps the best answer to this question comes from "Beautiful Losers":
"Magic never weakened. Magic never hid. Magic always ruled."
Alexis
"Who, being loved, is poor?"
(Oscar Wilde)
"That love is all there is" (Emily Dickinson)
"A miracle, just take a look around: The inescapable earth" (Wislawa Szymborska)
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:11 pm

The concerts? YES. (and over-priced)

The recordings? NO. (and still good value !)
Ring the bells that still can ring...
FOXWOOD

Post by FOXWOOD » Thu Mar 21, 2013 10:52 am

I once went to a Eric Clapton concert and along with 10,000 other people paid a fair amount for tickets . I wasn't a huge fan put I did like his "Unplugged album" ( a sort of greatest hits).
Just before this tour he had released a new blues album.
At the concert the first half consisted entirely of this new material that most of the audience had never heard it before. We all waited patiently for "Layla" "Wonderful tonight" "Tears in Heaven" and so on.
The second consisted of more new blues maerial - which although was played well - was not what the crowd wanted.
Half an hour into the second half the audience were frustrated and annoyed that they weren't going to see the concert that they had hoped for. New songs were greeted by boos and people started leaving early.
There were no encores as there was further booing at the end of the concert.

I would love to see an LC concert consisting of songs he has never played live before but I suspect the majority of the audience wouldn't agree with me!
Royal Albert Hall London 1988, Manchester Opera House 18th June 2008,
Manchester Arena 30th Nov 2008, Weybridge 11th July 2009,
Lissadell House 31st July 2010, Dublin 11th & 12th September 2012, London O2 21st June 2013,
Manchester Arena 31st Aug 2013,Leeds 7th September 2013
TonVH

Post by TonVH » Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:17 pm

LHHUNTER wrote:It's great that the US tour has kicked off again to rave reviews but could it be the performance is becoming a little to predictable in terms of format and content. Since 2008 every show has begun with the same song for both act 1&2 as well as the first and second encores. I think most folks going to see the shows now will have attended a previous concert and it's a pity we kind of know whats coming next. I wish the band would surprise us sometimes by juggling the tunes around a bit between the sets rather than playing safe everytime.
Certainly not. Love the way it presently is.
Zimmy66

Post by Zimmy66 » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:29 pm

Not stale - more predicable. But still an enthralling experience for all devotees.

You want fresh and vibrant? You're going to the wrong gig.

Just watched 'Bird on a Wire' for the umpteenth time (first saw it in the GFT Glasgow in 19 seventy something (why was the Glasgow Apollo gig not credited in the film??)). That's still fresh and vibrant. Not stale at all. Full of the unexpected. (having a shave mid-concert?) Sorry, but in 40 years time, Live in London' won't be. Good music video. But that's all.

That said. Yes, I'll be at the O2. Can't afford (time and finance) to traipse all over Europe.
To live outside the law you must be honest
Athnuachan

Post by Athnuachan » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:06 pm

Predictable? Yes.
Enthralling ? No. Those days have gone.. Sad but true...

Later edit: On second thoughts, not fair - if there was another Cohen concert in Ireland I'd probably find it as enthralling as ever!
Maybe it's just reading about them elsewhere that makes them all sound the same.
Ring the bells that still can ring...

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”