Hope for Europe? (Several threads merged)

A new, growing section for more exciting news
lightasabreeze

Re: Hope for Europe? (Several threads merged)

Post by lightasabreeze » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:34 pm

I agree with your words Clive Cass. To add to that I think that as were were 'mucked' about with the Hop Farm fiasco we would maybe been given some extra thought. Plus if words in recent books are true, it was Europe that gave Leonard most support when he was touring in his earlier years and Europeans that got him highest in the charts when USA were not interested. Older ones on here will remember that of course and like me feel a little bit let down.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:23 pm

You seem to forget the good news: several sources have confirmed on these pages that many UK dates are scheduled to this summer! According to what we've heard from AEG [as quoted on page of 6 this thread], they will be announced about 6 months before the concerts.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Mon Feb 11, 2013 4:35 pm

jarkko, you forgot something....Patience ;-)

So, here's my take now on attending any further LC concerts as an old Cohen aficianado/call me what you want.

"I ain't bovvered" à la Catherine Tate.

We (Vicomtesse and I) have decided that unless the prices suit us and we can get to the venue without too big an expense, then perhaps sadly, we have seen Leonard for the last time and that was at Wembley last year and thanks to a nice member on here. We have decided it's time to pull the plug on looking big and paying silly prices to see someone we thought was (still) on our wave length, who knew what it was like to love and to hate and ultimately to write about some of the very people who can now probably no longer afford to hear him singing such songs. This isn't just about money any more, it's more seeking a reason as to why someone who lost a lot of money, regained it handsomely through a massive increase in fandom, wishes to increase ticket prices beyond the realms of sensibility for many. Yes, OK, it is more a management thing I guess.

I have stated this before but two young French friends of our Daughter, who we have lent Cohen albums to over the years, sadly when they had the chance, could not afford to go and see him. And before anyone says they could do this, or that to get the money, there is another life out there that means many people simply can't get any more money than they have to lay out on anything more than everyday living, you know, food and luxuries like soap. And yes, why should Cohen, or any other artist lower their ticket prices when they can fill stadiums and large arenas?............To put it simply, it just doesn't sit well with me any more. It's been a long road for us with LC, previous songs, books and concerts have shown more than enough humanity and indeed humility and now it kind of grates that it just does not correspond to the cost of seeing LC today.

Et voila, sorry but that's how I see it now.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
fealy

is dublin going to be included in the 2013 euro tour

Post by fealy » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:21 pm

is dublin going to be included in the 2013 euro tour
amcgee

Post by amcgee » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:02 pm

Well Said Vicomte totaly agree with you

Although i do accept 6 months is plenty of time , however with all the drip feeding of concerts, people may have arranged to go to one of the existing concert(s), only to find out in the end of february that there is a closer one to them. This is not fair. I for one would like to go again, and funnily enough my 7 year old asked me yesterday when is cohen playing in ireland again, i said i am not sure and he said he must play again. However the cost comes into it and therefore unless the price is more reasonable then i probably won't go, although on saying that i would probably find the money to go to see him Tis hard times and a cohen concert is a luxury too far in this times. Things might change in the future, the problem is if he plays in Ireland, i would assume it would be in the o2. outdoor in ireland is not recommended!!
Would like to see him play in cork!!..
amcge
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:30 pm

jarkko wrote:You seem to forget the good news: several sources have confirmed on these pages that many UK dates are scheduled to this summer! According to what we've heard from AEG [as quoted on page of 6 this thread], they will be announced about 6 months before the concerts.
So that seems to suggest the main ' uk tour' :D is august at the earliest - possibly a bit later ??
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
clive cass

Post by clive cass » Tue Feb 12, 2013 8:05 am

And Cohenadmirer we are advised by the organisers of the walking weekend in Galway Ireland that the whole European tour will be over by 19 September when the walk begins. Jarkko previously suggested (jan 24) that dates would be announced at end of february or early march. So 6 months would then take us to end of August. The rules out the gap between June 25 and July 7 as it is too small for a long uk tour (Jarkko feb 11) and its not 6 months anyway. Generally Leonard does not hop to and from uk and mainland Europe and he is on the mainland on both 17 July and 17 August so I suggest he will fill that gap on the mainland. Many (Jarkko feb 11) UK dates might imply up to 10 concerts accross England Ireland Scotland and Wales every other day on average over a 20 day tour perhaps. So I suggest the UK tour will be between August 20 and September 15.
Dublin(3) 14/5/12, Lille 25/9/10, Liverpool 14/7/09, Manchester 30/11/08, Manchester 17/6/08, London 1988 or 1993 date unknown, Manchester 27/2/85
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 » Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:54 pm

Great reasoning Clive. I hope you are right.

Meanwhile, we may have had some of the earlier gaps filled in with mentions of unconfirmed shows. I think there have been 3 so far:

Rotterdam Ahoy - 27 June

Prague O2 Arena - 21 July

Pula Arena - 2 August

Wendy
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 10:14 pm

Looking positive for the uk and that's a nice time of year .
Any chance that presales ( as opposed to tour announcements )
can be slighty staggered to help those of us who might want to go to more than 1 uk concert ? ;-)
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
tularosa

Post by tularosa » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:25 pm

And what about France ? Four concerts in Germany, "many UK dates" and only ONE in France ?!!!!!!! :(
LHHUNTER

Post by LHHUNTER » Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:57 pm

France has had their fair share of shows in the past; about 20 since 2008. It would be good for some new cities to get a look in. Besides it's easy from France to visit neighbouring coutries compared to us in the UK. :razz:
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Thu Feb 14, 2013 4:30 pm

I wish it were so LHHunter, but it really isn't, especially from the North West of France :cry:
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
yoeri

Post by yoeri » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:17 pm

So here we are, end of February (short month after all), and ready for the next Europe dates! :D

We can only try.
2008: Athens
2009: Madrid
2010: Gent, Lille
2012: Gent, Berlin, Madrid
2013: Antwerp, Brussels, Pula, Amsterdam
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Does "Europe (mainland)" includes at least one city on the sea? :)

Because one rumoured venue is very near where the Mediterranean goes most deeply into European's mainland :)
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:43 pm

Mainland? I suppose that rules out the UK again then. Surprise, surprise!
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..

Return to “THE SUMMER 2013 TOUR IN EUROPE”