LA MANIC : a perfect offering to Montreal and the World.

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
Tchocolatl

Re: LA MANIC : Leonard's perfect offering to Montrealers

Post by Tchocolatl »

Cooooool......

That makes more for us. :D
"He can love the shape of human beings, the fine and twisted shapes of the heart. It is good to have among us such men, such balancing monsters of love."

Leonard Cohen
Beautiful Losers
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

From Otawa concert thread :D :D

gardencat wrote:Leonard was so wonderful last night! He sang La Manic for us.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

BEATRIZ SALLES wrote:gardencat wrote:
Leonard was so wonderful last night! He sang La Manic for us.
This was to be expected since Ottawa, situated just across the Ottawa river from the province of Québec, must have attracted a substantial share of Québecois fans. Additionally, Ottawa being bilingual Canada's capital, has an important franco-ontarian civil service population.
montreal 2008; montreal 2012x2
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

I can report that La Manic was very enthusiastically welcomed by Ottawa fans last night. Not as big of a standing ovation as in Montreal, but it was very well received. I was able to appreciate it more last night, after hearing it for the first time (well, by Leonard anyway) in Montreal. What a wonderful and a very special addition to the set list for those of us fortunate enough to hear it. I doubt he will play it in Kingston next week, but I'll let you know.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

Video loaded by MadLennyFan - Thanks!

Nov 29

La Manic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=te3NvD06LV8
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

The performance in Ottawa - Dec 7

Terrific video of La Manic from Ottawa - with introduction -

Uploaded by caro8680 - Thanks!

La Manic
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SG72qOUkw9o
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Another video of La Manic from Montreal - Nov 29

Uploaded by Diane Trembley -
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ra_QM0aV-FQ
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

From London concert report:
stfa wrote:Just back - the last of my December trifecta :( - two Toronto, one London. Have to say this was probably the best of the bunch but of course each had its own vibe and special moments. Great to hear La Manic and Partisan back to back.
2008 Paris. 2009 Barcelona. 2010 Marseille. 2012 Ghent. Verona. Barcelona. Lisbon. 2013 Antwerpen, Berlin, Pula.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

From Kingston concert report: :D
Sochijava wrote: Highlights for me were: Lover, Lover, Lover and LC performing Chelsea Hotel alone, just the man and his guitar. And La Manic. He took some time with the anglo audience in Kingston and explained a bit of the history of the Manic Hydro electric building project. He translated the first sentence for the audience: "If you knew just what a drag it is to be here at La Manic, you'd write to me more often." I wonder if we might hear the translated version at some point.
Thank you Paula!
Sochijava

Post by Sochijava »

I should have noted that my quote of the translation was not verbatim. Close I hope, but it was from memory. Hopefully someone posts a video. He certainly did use " what a drag" for "comme on s'ennuie".

I was thrilled to hear it for the third time in Kingston last night. I really do hope that he brings the song to the international audience too. On verra.
Toronto June 6 2008; Ottawa May 25 & 26 2009; Las Vegas 11 December 2010; Montreal 2012; Ottawa 2012; Kingston 2012.
BEATRIZ SALLES

Post by BEATRIZ SALLES »

Again from Kingston:

Dasia wrote: Though it may have replaced The Partisan, a particular favourite I'd hoped to hear, I was surprised and moved by La Manic. It was the only song that was completely new to me. I grew up in Montreal, and my father, an engineer, visited Manicouagan and other Hydro Quebec sites in his work. He really liked the area and the people he met there, and as it happened the night of the concert was the fifth anniversary of his death.
Thank you Dasia, La Manic rendition must have been very special to you.
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

Again from Kingston by its four in the morning
And "La Manic," which I only heard him play once on youtube, really captured my attention--not being fluent in French I did not understand the lyrics, but hearing the beutiful music and Mr Cohen mastering another language in song made this memorable
VELOVERMONT

Post by VELOVERMONT »

I am optimistically wishing that LA MANIC will ,tonight and/or tomorrow night in Boston, be part of the set list .

After the warm welcome it received in Canada, even by predominently non french speaking audiences (outside of Montreal and Quebec), would it not be great if that song became part of Leonard regular repertoire?

I keep my fingers crossed. :)
VELOVERMONT

Re: LA MANIC : a " perfect offering" to Montreal and the Wor

Post by VELOVERMONT »

I have modified this topic's title to give LA MANIC the full importance Leonard has given it !
VELOVERMONT

Re: LA MANIC : a " perfect offering" to Montreal and the Wor

Post by VELOVERMONT »

Quoting Michael Bromfield's article in" LEONARD COHEN IN QUEBEC. LESSONS OF A MASTER " in News :

"But more was to come on the second night in Montreal when Cohen unveiled his gift to the people of Quebec. He explained that he wanted to pay tribute to his friend Georges Dor, one of the great Quebecois Chansonniers (Singer songwriters) and announced that he was going to sing ‘La Manic’, the lyrics of which comprise of a love letter written by a construction worker on the Manicougan Power Project. La Manic is considered to be the most successful song ever recorded by a local Chansonnier and the audience truly appreciated this moment and it typified why a Cohen concert is such a personal experience wherever he performs....

...In Montreal I realised this first performance of ‘La Manic’ was something very special and by the time we got to Quebec City I fully appreciated the local significance. It is a thoughtful and simple song, perhaps easier to appreciate from its initial unveiling than many of Cohen’s own songs which tend to improve with repeated listening and in Quebec when I knew what to expect the hairs on the back of my neck were prickling as Cohen delivered a superb rendition of this beautiful song. I remember thinking ‘And some people say this guy cannot sing’’ as he delivered a masterpiece of timing and expression that was the equal of anything I have heard recorded by such great French singing chanteurs as Charles Aznavour or the Belgian Jacques Briel. To be present and aware of the significance of these first and perhaps only performances by Cohen of this beautiful song in itself entirely justified the trip to Quebec. "

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”