CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 & November 1

Concert reports, reviews, links, set lists - and meetup information + meetup reports
brightnow

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 and November 1

Post by brightnow »

Night two in Austin was also fabulous!

Some points that I found interesting:
Leonard set up "Alexandra Leaving" (performed by Sharon) and "Coming Back to You" (performed by by the Webbs) by reciting a few lines from each song. Reciting lines from a song as an opener is something that Leonard used to do in prior tours, but not in the tour of 2008-2010.
Leonard concluded "Closing Time" by reciting from "Never Got to Love You": "They ought to hand the night A ticket / For speeding: it's a crime / I had so much to tell you / But now it's closing time".
This 3.5 hrs concert ended after "I Tried to Leave You", the last dance was not saved.
It seems that the photo police have relaxed a bit, photos were allowed but not video.

Time for bed... more tomorrow.
Attachments
IMG_0114.JPG
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Concert 2 Nov 1.12
One raw video for now. Thrilling!

ANYHOW
http://youtu.be/P6iTgEkClc4

---Arlene

EDIT: Sorry, I pressed the wrong button and erased the original video by accident.
New link is above.
Last edited by bridger15 on Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

bridger15 wrote:Concert 2 Nov 1.12
One raw video for now. Thrilling!

ANYHOW
http://youtu.be/4xEGKiR7XbU
Great! Thanks, Arlene.
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

brightnow wrote:Reciting lines from a song as an opener is something that Leonard used to do in prior tours, but not in the tour of 2008-2010..
Hm ... I seem to remember he did that in 2008 - 2010. - E. g. for "If it be your Will", "Born in Chains", and "Anthem".
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Hartmut wrote:
brightnow wrote:Reciting lines from a song as an opener is something that Leonard used to do in prior tours, but not in the tour of 2008-2010..
Hm ... I seem to remember he did that in 2008 - 2010. - E. g. for "If it be your Will", "Born in Chains", and "Anthem".
Yes, you're right Hartmut. I daresay Avi forgot that in the glow of post concert euphoria!

Wendy
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

Mabeanie1 wrote: I daresay Avi forgot that in the glow of post concert euphoria!
That would be understandable ...
holydove

Post by holydove »

joyezekiel wrote:
The band was on great form - Roscoe and Mitch obviously happy to be on their home turf. To be honest, I thought Leonard seemed somewhat serious at the beginning. In fact, I did wonder if he was in pain as he kept putting his hand to the small of his back - did anyone else notice this? He was definitely chirpier in the second half. Maybe it was just me being super-vigilant in my observations and concern for the well-being of a 78 year old gentleman? (I also noticed silly things like watches and rings appearing and disappearing throughout the evening, but I don't suppose they had any significance.)

Altogether a great kick-off to the US tour and I can't wait for my next concerts.

Oh, and Rachel.... yes, there were quite a few people in fancy dress! Austin is always a fantastic place for people-watching, but it excelled itself last night!

Joy
Joy, thank you for answering my question & thank you for the beautiful, full-of-feeling concert report - I love it! I certainly hope Leonard was not in pain :cry: , & glad to hear that signs of such a possiblity were absent after the first set. I love your remark about the rings & watches :lol: - you never know, it might be a very significant thing - esp. if they were disappearing into, & returning from, the fifth dimension, which, given the fact that Leonard Cohen was present, is quite possible. . .

Glad you had a great time, thanks again for the lovely report!

And Hartmut: Of course I had to ask, it's a very important detail of this historical evening. . . :)
hazey

Post by hazey »

Thank you, Arlene, for the great video. Can anyone please tell where was "Anyhow" placed in the setlist?

And, did Leonard sing "The Gypsy's Wife"? (the whole lyrics, I mean)
1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
Hartmut

Post by Hartmut »

holydove wrote:And Hartmut: Of course I had to ask, it's a very important detail of this historical evening. . . :)
Yes, it is, of course ...

Did you see the three guys with the Gérard Depardieu masks at the Paris concerts, by the way? - That was a bit over the top, I think.
quetzalcoatl80

Post by quetzalcoatl80 »

If I don't make error, it's the first time Léonard sings "Anyhow"? He had not interpreted it in Europ.
It pleases to see him so funny and in shape.
Please, Arlene, other comments after... a good night of rest and...dreams...
Thank you
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

quetzalcoatl80 wrote:If I don't make error, it's the first time Léonard sings "Anyhow"?
He only sang it once, in Dublin: http://youtu.be/mz9j3GCYiPQ
bridger15

CONCERT REPORTS: Austin, October 31 and November 1

Post by bridger15 »

Hazey. After heart no companion. On tapa talk at airport. More later.
Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
hazey

Post by hazey »

1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hartmut wrote:
holydove wrote:And Hartmut: Of course I had to ask, it's a very important detail of this historical evening. . . :)
Yes, it is, of course ...

Did you see the three guys with the Gérard Depardieu masks at the Paris concerts, by the way? - That was a bit over the top, I think.
They must have been employed by the ticket seller for the purpose of advertising his new business. . .(we better take this conversation to the sidebar before we get evicted from the forum).
quetzalcoatl80

Post by quetzalcoatl80 »

Thank you Goldin for the information and the link.

Return to “USA & CANADA 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”