How much would you shell out to see Cohen Live?

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Mark J

How much would you shell out to see Cohen Live?

Post by Mark J »

My wife wouldn't let me consider our firstborn, but I told her in all seriousness that I'd gladly go as high as $500 for good seats. Now I'm pretty sure the price won't be quite so high, but at the same time, Leonard wouldn't have too hard a time selling out venues quickly even if he put Streisand-esque prices on his seats. The world is literally starved for a live performance! Hell, I might just have to follow him on tour!
Great, great news. I'm cautiously optimistic. If ever there was a reason for those more depressed fans among us to hold on another year, this is it (that's a joke...unless...)
Red Poppy

Re: How much would you shell out to see Cohen Live?

Post by Red Poppy »

Perish the thought it might,in any way, be Streisand-esque (Just ask the diva's Irish fans - no I'm not among them - about this "summer's" Streisand experience.
The whole question of finance raised it's head around the exhibition issue and it would be really a pity if that were to become the yardstick by which the promotion company sold any possible tour.
Nor,in my opinion, would the "bums on seats" approach of putting the concerts into very large venues be something that would help.
Venues where the sound is good, the site lines are good and the audience can appreciate the subtlety of the performances are what are needed. And that won't necessarily push the prices up - a lot depends on the promoters and on the deal Leonard's management does with them.
I'd be really nervous of the "what's seldom is wonderful" label putting ticket prices through the roof. Those who can afford it will buy them and, given the kudos which currently surrounds Leonard's every appearance, there will be loads of newbies trampling each other to be there.
As often happens, the fans who were there in the lean times may get left out.
Let's hope not!
PS I think your wife is right!!!!
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

Red Poppy wrote: I'd be really nervous of the "what's seldom is wonderful" label putting ticket prices through the roof. Those who can afford it will buy them and, given the kudos which currently surrounds Leonard's every appearance, there will be loads of newbies trampling each other to be there.
As often happens, the fans who were there in the lean times may get left out.
Let's hope not!
Yes, Red Poppy - hopefully the ticket prices will be reasonable!
But i's not really the prices that I'm anxious about, I'd pay a few hundred €. I fear getting no ticket at all or being not able - for whatever reason - to get to his concert. After nearly 30 years of being a fan I'd really like to see him once.

K.
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Perhaaaaaaps, forum fans might get an early start on booking, Jarkko?????
Though of course with promoters that's probably not realistic.
Alan Alda

Post by Alan Alda »

Having special-early fan/fan site sales is pretty common.

Laurie
I simply cannot see where there is to get to. Plath
Even despots have access to 'Welcome' mats. Me
Desperation is easily confused with enthusiasm. Me
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

How about a 'confirmed' head-count, with a block of seats reserved [preferably up front, of course]? Is that possible or considered too special of treatment, or simply not feasible?

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

First it would be helpful to know which places he will go to. I personally think it would be best for him and me *cough* to have Hamburg on his tour schedule. ;-)
Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?
Matthew 7,3
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Even Berlin would be fine, yes? Of course, we'll find out more when a tour is confirmed and dates are finalized; unfortunately, 'til then, we reside in conjecture.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
Red Poppy

Post by Red Poppy »

Nice one ispellit.
Lizzy the block booking might be interesting, given the nature of some of the relationships here (including me, of course :lol: ) - bit like the old wedding guest seating plans!!!!
Hope you're right Alan.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Not Newsworthy... Boy/Girl/Boy/Girl/Boy/Girl/Boy/Girl... last-minute changes when necessary? [Note that I don't say "if."] Every Boy will have a Girl on either side... and every Girl will have a Boy.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

lizzytysh wrote:Even Berlin would be fine, yes?
~ Lizzy
Yes, of course it would !!!
Imagining they'd put him into our "Congress Center of Hamburg", for a concert which is pretty likely as he played most of his concerts in Hamburg there, is utterly terrible. As far as I know he has been at the "Musikhalle" as well, now called "Laeizhalle", which is an old theatre, a wonderful location but much too small for a tour after such a long time, as I assume.
Berlin would be fine.

But just another simple consideration: If I'd die of a heart attack the moment I catch a glimpse of him for the first time in real life... they would have to move my corpse from Berlin to Hamburg then. If I died on a concert in Hamburg it would be no such prob...

K-
Matthew 7,3
Alan Alda

Post by Alan Alda »

Poppy~

I know I'm right 8) Whether or not the practice will apply to any upcoming Leonard tours remains to be seen.

Back to the subject of this thread, I have in the past dropped 500 bucks on primo seats. Like those prints of recent history, I do hope that Leonard, if he tours does realize his value and make the best seats very expensive (Yes, very expensive). We are for the most part an older generation and have more disposable income and he is worth it.

regards,
Laurie
I simply cannot see where there is to get to. Plath
Even despots have access to 'Welcome' mats. Me
Desperation is easily confused with enthusiasm. Me
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, K, I cannot imagine that Leonard's management would not take this quandary under consideration before confirming a venue. So, given transportation costs for corpses, which your family may not be able to bear, the much worse or too small venue may still be the better, much wiser, deal. Leonard, after all, is known for his consideration.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
cortez

Post by cortez »

If I know Leonard like i hope I know Leonard, he´ll go to great lenghts to keep the ticket prices reasonable. Any "Streisandesque" price setting is, in my opinion, simply out of the question. Were not dealing with a diva here.
All´the best.
Cortez :)
ispellit

Post by ispellit »

Alan Alda wrote: I do hope that Leonard, if he tours does realize his value and make the best seats very expensive (Yes, very expensive). We are for the most part an older generation and have more disposable income and he is worth it.
I'm with you, Laurie. Got my piggybank ready. ;-)
lizzytysh wrote:... given transportation costs for corpses, which your family may not be able to bear, the much worse or too small venue may still be the better, much wiser, deal. Leonard, after all, is known for his consideration.
Lizzy, as my piggybank would luckily cover the transportation cost for my corps as well, I'd not want all the Cohenites to get pressed into the small theatre. Though being pressed to each other... could make a very cuddling atmosphere. ;-)

Kerstin
Matthew 7,3

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”