Cafe du Nord - San Francisco Show

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
dar

Cafe du Nord - San Francisco Show

Post by dar »

Many of you guys have seen Anjani live by now and I also enjoyed her live show in San Francisco.

Suzanne Holland sang The Guests and Priest to open up the show before Conspiracy of Beards sang. She did a great job and I visited with her and Michael quite a bit. The place was so packed all thirty Beards had to stand in back and sing their little a cappella hearts out. Their style was what I expected because I listened to them a bit on line. No comment there.

Anjani came on next. I should have taken notes or something because I can't share a set list or anything. Blue Alert, Gypsy's Wife, Half a Perfect World, Never Got To Love You, um...damn...other good stuff. I especially enjoyed when she broke into a little "scat". (The "old man" wasn't with her, so maybe she wasn't suppossed to get giggy with it but that was cool when she went into a little Ella Fitzgerald stylings for just a brief bit. Damn...I can't remember which song it was in but I loved the heck out of that. She can sing!) That was fun but don't tell the old guy.

Anjani stayed after the show to meet and greet. I didn't have a camera but one of the fans there took a photo of Anjani and I. She said she'd email it to me. So that was nice.

O, Anjani's mom, Hilda, was there and seemed proud of her daughter.
Anjani introduced her. Classy little lady.

And I met JZ and her daughter too. They took some photos with a disposable type camera and I think JZ is going to get them developed on disc and share them.

I gabbed with everyone outside and let them all know about Jarkko's site. There were so many who were new fans of Cohen. Not young kids either. Surpised how many found LC because of "I'm Your Man" movie. I think a few will become new members of the forum or at least go to the fansite. There was a promo postcard with the files listed on it. So...should bring a few new folks around.

But, it was nice to see so many people there just because of Anjani.
A few folks yelled out "Where's Leonard?"...and she handled it with alot of class and carried off the gig without a hitch.

Nice time and I enjoyed the trip into the "city". Not a long haul at all but next time I'll bring more comfortable shoes!

Dar
dick

Post by dick »

Thanks for great upfront report Dar

When I posted the San Jose review, your post wasn't there yet.

Having screwed up my first moderating attempt to move stuff, hope it's ok for two threads for a bit! :)

Isn't Anjani amazing in her command of the crowd?

Very happy you got to say Hi to her. Also special that Michael and Suzanne were able to share.

dick
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Not young kids either. Surpised how many found LC because of "I'm Your Man" movie.
Very good news.

The light scatting that Anjani did wasn't because Leonard stayed home :) . It was in "No One After You." I really enjoyed it, too.

< *Ha. That "Very good news" applies to what preceded it, as well as what followed.* >

I would have loved to have met Anjani's mother. In New York, she mentioned calling her. She has so many good reasons to be proud of her daughter.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”