Tuesday 24th in NYC - will you be there?

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
damellon

Tuesday 24th in NYC - will you be there?

Postby damellon » Sun Apr 22, 2007 8:32 pm

Any contributor want to join a list of those who'll be at the show/s in NYC on Tuesday night? Interesting to see how many from this forum will be there. I'll be there barring a flight cancellation (due to arrive JFK early afternoon.)
osmachar

Postby osmachar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:10 am

Lucky you! Enjoy :-)
dar

Have a great time

Postby dar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:21 pm

I'm staying away from posting to the forum, except for a lapse or two, but I wanted to wish you a wonderful trip and send hopes that your visit will be perfect.

I'm a long time Cohen participant, since about 1997 when the newsgroup was going strong, and if I had the time I would share a few feelings about when I first met Cohen forum folks in 2004. And that was after missing at least two gatherings and speaking on line for years. It was a little of this and a little of that and more or less what I thought it would be.

I hope you meet up with everyone who's going to the NYC gig and are made to feel comfortable and welcome. This show is a big deal for a few of those going who haven't met LC yet and are hoping it will happen on the 24th. Well, isn't everyone? But...NYC is an amazing place. I'm guessing you've been there? If not, have a great time and relax.

Bon Voyage,

Dar
dar

o shit!

Postby dar » Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:03 pm

Oops....I did it again. Holy crap, I'm totally incompetent!

What a damn joke. I keep posting to the public forum when I think I'm sending a pm. Good friggin' thing I don't say horrible stuff when I think I'm talking in private.

I'm an idiot....might as well continue to post to the forum since I'm doing it anyway.

Have fun in NYC everybody!!
dick

Postby dick » Mon Apr 23, 2007 11:49 pm

I think I recall several who have said they will be coming.. some don't post much but have met in one of the other gatherings....

Evelyn, Geoff and Donna, Zack, Bobbie -- and Tish -- will be in NY on 4/24

My wife Linda and I will be there with Linda's niece Dawn

And we'd love it if you'd come too Darlicious!

Dick
dar

Postby dar » Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:53 am

Thanks Dick. I was trying to send a pm to damellon to let him or is it a her? know that there are a great bunch of Cohenites who are going to the show on the 24th. (I noticed no one responded in the thread.)

Glad to see you let this person know they are welcome to join you all. I mean the person is coming from Ireland. Holy smokes. That's a dedicated fan deserving of a warm welcome. Hope you meet up and wish I could be there! I am so jealous of all of you. grrrrrrrr
damellon

Postby damellon » Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:43 am

Hi Dar
Thanks for your good wishes. In 6 hours I leave for the airport and am sooooooooooooo excited to be going to NYC and hopefully to be seeing LC tomorrow evening. I haven't seen him before so this will be extra special. I don't mind if he just does an introduction - that'll be fine. I like the songs on Blue Alert so I'll enjoy Anjani's performance anyway, but Leonard is the big draw. Don't know where you're based but it's a pity you won't be there too. I'll look out for Dick and his friends. Will be on my own at the 9.30pm show but with my husband and teenage daughter for the 11.30pm show. Here's hoping for a memorable night.
damellon
John Etherington

Postby John Etherington » Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:41 pm

I'll be there if someone can give me a free ticket, pick me up in a helicopter from Kings Cross at 6pm BST, and whisk me across the Atlantic!
osmachar

Postby osmachar » Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:45 pm

To everyone who was there - how was last night?
dick

Postby dick » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:38 am

osmachar wrote:To everyone who was there - how was last night?
Fantastic!!

More later
damellon

Postby damellon » Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:50 am

Last night was wonderful. Anjani gave 2 great performances. The set list had tracks from ‘Blue Alert’ + ‘Gypsy Wife’ + ‘Whither though goest’. Leonard introduced her at both shows including some lines from ’The Tower of Song’ and she invited him to duet with her twice on ‘Never got to love you’ and ‘Whither thou goest’. He was received with a rapturous response and lots of camera flashes. Her performance was so much appreciated that at the second show she had to do 3 encores - ‘Thanks for the Dance’, Nightingale’ and ‘No one after you’ (already included in the show and repeated for the final encore). The band was a sophisticated solid jazz combo made up of keyboard, double bass, percussion, guitar and female backing singer, Dominique. BTW Elvis Costello, Diana Krall and Hal Willner (who produced the show Came so far for Beauty) were in the audience for the first show. Leonard’s sister Esther was at both shows. I met some forum stalwarts - Dick and Linda, Evelyn, (lucky) Lizzy (who came from Florida without a ticket and managed to talk her way in) and Eric who like me had come from Ireland. A night to remember!
margaret

Postby margaret » Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:05 am

Sounds wonderful. Really glad you were able to get there.
.......(lucky) Lizzy (who came from Florida without a ticket and managed to talk her way in)
Now why doesn't that surprise me? :roll: Gotta admire such determination!
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:26 am

Hi Damellon ~

I'm sorry I didn't write you on this. I was ensconced in a lot of last-minute, life stuff when I saw it. I should've at least PM'd, but I didn't because I didn't really know where/how I was going to be [getting together with Lightning, but unsure at that point on which day], and I knew I wanted to get into the 9:30 concert, so didn't want to compromise my proximity to the venue, and make it more unlikely that I might be allowed in.

Thank you to Evelyn :D for offering to the management to 'take me in' at your table. Even though the word on that was 'no,' it's the principle and your willingness to initiate that offer that counted!

Thanks for the overview of the audience, Damellon. It was great to meet you... and I'm sorry I didn't get to meet your husband and daughter! I'm so glad you got a double dose of Leonard after flying over from Ireland... you and Eric both 8) ! I'm sorry we didn't have longer to talk. I hope you'll come to some of our Events... and, of course, you're now much more likely to attend the Brit gatherings :D .

I loved it that I recognized Eric and then you recognized me 8) ~ especially with my short hair :roll: .

I thought of you, Margaret, when I was walking past a small park located near where I stayed, and then as I walked past some eating places. I thought back to our walk in Central Park and when we'd rush to breakfast every day.

Love,
Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:48 pm

My ability to concentrate
is nothing less than
a clever cosmic joke.

My mind is still
in New York,
though I'm certain
it will soon be
joining my body.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Postby dick » Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:59 pm

Posted my desription of the evening in news.. blue alert category

Forgive the overlap Damellon - appreciated your description very much.

dick

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”