Anjani in Oslo

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Geoffrey

Anjani in Oslo

Postby Geoffrey » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:01 am

Hei. I haven't time to stay, just wanted to stop quickly by and say hello. Yes, I saw Anjani and Leonard in Oslo. Met some lovely people. Some disappointments, but also some wonderful surprises - so a slice of real life it was to be sure. Special mention will I make about a lady called Anne R - whom I'd never before met. She received this weary traveller with such warmth, she was so welcoming - I could have stayed with her forever. Pity her husband was there. I felt I had known and loved her all my life. Leonard left early. He had a temperature that seemed like the overture to flu, so had to hit the sack early. It had been a long gruelling day for the horny old rascal - live shows with Al Gore and God knows who else. He's not a spring chicken no more, you know. I had sat almost at the back of the room with my companion, and after Leonard had introduced Anjani he came and sat immediately behind me - I felt that my head was in the way for him. But each time I turned around his eyes were closed and he was swaying to Anjani's music. He was tired and exhausted, too - and finally sneaked out when no one was looking. Anne R later snatched the bottle of red wine from his table and together we drank it up rather than see it go to waste. Leonard's old flame Marianne was also at Anjani's showcase - exuberant and welcoming and making everybody relaxed and happy. I asked her what sort of bird was on the wire and she said it was just a little grey sparrow. It was she who encouraged him to write that song. Well, we spoke in Norwegian and she said 'bare en liten grå spurv'. But what I really wanted to say was this: If you are going to see Anjani then forget about whether Leonard Cohen will be there or not. He'll not feel too insulted if I say that he is just the wrapping paper around the beautiful gift of Anjani. She is a treasure - both on and off stage. She was genuinely sorry that Leonard was feeling ill. She doesn't have that awful 'distancing mode' that many artistes fall victim to. She returned two or three times to the room - and even gave me a hug. One thing that struck me about Anjani and Leonard was how thin they are - is it true that Leonard does all the cooking? Anyway, I think they both ought to get off this vegetarian health kick they're on, get rid of all that lettuce and low-calorie Philadelphia cheese and fill up their plates with a decent-sized T-bone steak with all the trimmings. No wonder they're getting colds all the time - they need to put some meat on their bones for heaven's sake or they're going to get everything that's going around. You can't walk about like matchstick figures from an L.S.Lowry painting and expect to keep fit. Well, that's all I wanted to say. Anjani's music was superb - leaves both Sade and Madeleine Peyroux back at the starting post. But the nicest and most attractive thing about her is a personality that shines like a sun.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:50 am

Thank you for your beautiful account, Geoffrey. I'm deeply pleased you were able and finally decided to attend. I'm speechless with joy. As always, your account is straightforward, direct, and still slightly and delightfully one-off.

Were you able to speak to Leonard, at all... or merely [potentially] block his view, that his gently listening ears precluded? I'm so glad you were able to at least see him, even if you weren't able to be in more intimate communication with him. I'm sure he is pleased that you, Anne, and her husband enjoyed his wine. It's how he would want it.
Special mention will I make about a lady called Anne R - whom I'd never before met. She received this weary traveller with such warmth, she was so welcoming - I could have stayed with her forever. Pity her husband was there. I felt I had known and loved her all my life.
I'm very happy that Anne R. was there to welcome and embrace you.
Leonard's old flame Marianne was also at Anjani's showcase - exuberant and welcoming and making everybody relaxed and happy. I asked her what sort of bird was on the wire and she said it was just a little grey sparrow. It was she who encouraged him to write that song. Well, we spoke in Norwegian and she said 'bare en liten grå spurv'.
But what I really wanted to say was this: If you are going to see Anjani then forget about whether Leonard Cohen will be there or not. He'll not feel too insulted if I say that he is just the wrapping paper around the beautiful gift of Anjani. She is a treasure - both on and off stage. She was genuinely sorry that Leonard was feeling ill. She doesn't have that awful 'distancing mode' that many artistes fall victim to. She returned two or three times to the room - and even gave me a hug. . . . Anjani's music was superb - leaves both Sade and Madeleine Peyroux back at the starting post. But the nicest and most attractive thing about her is a personality that shines like a sun.
Who could ask for more than these things being said about them 8) ? I'm so glad you were able to see and meet Anjani :D . I'm so glad you were received so fully and warmly and well by all of these women.

I hope you're doing okay, Geoffrey.

Love,
Lizzy
Joe Way

Postby Joe Way » Tue Apr 03, 2007 5:13 pm

Dear Geoffrey,

Excellent report! It's everything I've come to expect from you. Sounds like you had a wonderful time.

Warm regards,

Joe
tomsakic

Postby tomsakic » Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:41 am

In moments like this (when it happens to me), I always hear the soundtrack of my early childhood (late 80s), our Jenny, "I'll ha-a-a-d the t-i-i-i-i-imes of my-y-y l-i-i-ife... :lol:

(Who could know that years later she will be the nightingale behind Leonard's best albums? The first childish love were made with that song in the background, and Up Were We Belong. God's ways are strange. I suddenly recalled [first time ever] the dance school in fourth grade, we learned to dance to that song. It was 1989 I think. I was ten.)
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:03 pm

Who could know that years later she will be the nightingale behind Leonard's best albums?
This is one of the things I find so fascinating, interesting, wonderful... especially, when I consider "Key of C," the article Anjani wrote... when Leonard as mentor made Anjani slow down... and taught her how to not feel compelled to fill the empty spaces... instead, to appreciate them 8) . Now, so many years later, as her voice has moved to the heart; she has slowed down and she appreciates all those empty spaces... and Leonard didn't need to teach her that if you fill them with anything, fill them with heart. The result for us is Blue Alert; and who knows what all to come in their collaborations on Leonard's next album.

~ Lizzy
dick

Postby dick » Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:31 pm

Thanks for your great description Snow

Anne emailed a very postive note about her time with you -- how big is her husband:-)

Linda and I enjoyed some time with her in Hydra during that Event.
Elsie

Postby Elsie » Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:52 pm

Hello Geoffrey
I am so glad to learn that you made it to Oslo, meeting Anjani and Leonard and Marianne and all! I sure wish I could have been there too. I'll never forget our meeting in Ålesund some years ago, I enjoyed it more than you will ever know.

My best regards also to Anne R - you know I *almost* came to visit you at Sagene in Oslo with Henning and Elke.

What a lovely story, Geoffrey - about your head being in the way and about sharing that bottle of red wine....

I am so proud of you, and happy to know you.

Love,
Else
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:12 pm

Elsie wrote:Hello Geoffrey

I am so proud of you, and happy to know you.
Love,
Else
I was thinking of saying something like that but I like even better if you can picture Elsie saying it and that I am standing behind off to the side a bit smiling in agreement. I enjoy putting myself in such pictures in such fine company so I hope the two of you can stomach it.

Jack
Young dr. Freud

Postby Young dr. Freud » Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:02 am

But each time I turned around his eyes were closed...

Perhaps that's why he left.

YdF
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Fri Apr 06, 2007 11:13 pm

Here Anne (Riise) and Snow enjoy Leonard's wine in Oslo
(Thanks to Anne for the photo!)
dick

Postby dick » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:01 am

It is a shame that their illness caused Leonard and Anjani to miss some great company!

Thanks for the pic and best to Geoffrey and Anne!

dick
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:32 am

This is a very sweet photo of the two of you, Anne and Geoffrey. I see that Anne has a very earth mother quality about her that you found very comforting, Geoffrey.

I see only one glass of wine, however... and it's in front of Anne. Are you sure you drank along with them, or had you not poured yours, yet? There appear to be three remaining, unused glasses... or, did you just sit down... and was that maybe the wine glass that Leonard had left unfinished. I see the bottle is still half full. Feel free to answer these questions whenever you like... these are things that nosey people need to know.

Meanwhile, you both look very comfortable and content with each other's company. It's a nice picture.

Yes... it really is too bad, Dick, that Leonard and Anjani had to miss out on such great company.

~ Lizzy
Geoffrey

Postby Geoffrey » Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:34 am

Dick wrote:
>It is a shame that their illness caused Leonard and Anjani to miss some great company!

Yes, and a fine and rare photograph indeed. Can I now lose my 'Howard Hughes' image, please, because I feel like I am becoming one of the in-crowd. Thank you, Anne.

Does anybody want to see what Marianne wrote in my copy of 'Beautiful Losers'? Well, if so it's too bad, I'm afraid - because I don't know how to post pictures here. But I know how to send a scan to a private person if you want.

The kind responses to my 'Anjani in Oslo' message were appreciated, but sometimes circumstances do not permit me to write back very quickly. My internet access has been cut, sawn off like a branch reaching over an unfriendly neighbour's wall; my least dangerous enemy is no better than my worst friend - because when somebody tells about their most repulsive nightmare and it sounds better than your nicest dream - that's when you know you're down. I like being here - it's a sort of landing strip. There's always a fountain of conversation in progress - and the sound of running water does encourage a hesitant person with a full tank to fill up that chamber pot.
lazariuk

Postby lazariuk » Sat Apr 07, 2007 1:12 am

Geoffrey wrote:Does anybody want to see what Marianne wrote in my copy of 'Beautiful Losers'? Well, if so it's too bad, I'm afraid - because I don't know how to post pictures here. But I know how to send a scan to a private person if you want..
Jarkko is a private person and he knows how to post pictures here. Send it to him.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:04 am

Hi Geoffrey ~

You sweet-faced looking man 8) :) . I'm guessing that you already know that Marianne doesn't mind if you share what she wrote, right? I know that she's reported to be a very private person; yet, I'm guessing that she knows the likelihood of your sharing it is pretty high. I'm certain she felt honoured in her signing of it. If it's okay with her, it's okay with me... and I'm interested in reading what she wrote to you.

Welcome back to the landing strip. I know exactly what you mean.

Love,
Lizzy

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”