Anjani and NOT Cohen in Oslo

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
kleinschmidt

Anjani and NOT Cohen in Oslo

Postby kleinschmidt » Sun Apr 01, 2007 9:01 am

:x :x :cry: :o :? :D Leonard was sick and didn't join Anjani on the stage. He introduced her, and that was all. I couln't help but feel a little disapointed, since I travelled all the way to Oslo to hear Leonard SING.
The night became wonderful anyway after the show thanks to a certain muse from Norway. I'll write more about this later, but let me just say that Marianne saved the day :D
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:23 pm

Yes, Kleinschmidt, we're looking forward to hearing about Marianne 8) !!! I'm sorry to hear that Leonard didn't feel well enough to sing. I can certainly understand your disappoinment :( . Anjani had mentioned in London that they were marinated in jet lag. Anyone who's flown those long distances and been able to just go rest [or not] can understand how a grueling schedule of meeting with journalists, doing photo shoots and sound checks, and performing before meeting with fans, can only imagine how that jet lag can unrelentingly go measures deeper.

The only thing I can say to that is that at least you got to see and hear him speak in person... more than many will ever get to do. You got to see and hear Anjani speak and sing Live... and, of course, you got to meet Marianne!! That is unequivocally a rare treat that few of us will ever get to do. [I know that you've entertained all of these very same thoughts on your own. I'm saying them only to reenforce the positive.]

It's possible that when I go to New York on April 29th to see Anjani perform that Leonard may not be there to participate in that performance, either. Apparently, the 24th is billed as "Leonard Cohen introduces Anjani" and the 29th is billed as "Anjani," so who knows. It may be that one night for the New York performances is enough for Leonard... especially since they're already selling tickets for a second, later show on the 24th. I would love to meet Leonard in person [even though I already have approximately 30 years ago, it didn't feel then like it would now], yet, if he's not there... or is and doesn't participate, I'm still going to be thrilled to see and hear Anjani perform in person. Understanding fate just isn't very easy sometimes, is it?

I'm glad you were able to see and do all that you did. Please tell us about Anjani's performance and your meeting with Marianne.

~ Lizzy
osmachar

Re: Anjani and NOT Cohen in Oslo

Postby osmachar » Sun Apr 01, 2007 5:40 pm

kleinschmidt wrote::x :x :cry: :o :? :D Leonard was sick and didn't join Anjani on the stage. He introduced her, and that was all. I couln't help but feel a little disapointed, since I travelled all the way to Oslo to hear Leonard SING.
The night became wonderful anyway after the show thanks to a certain muse from Norway. I'll write more about this later, but let me just say that Marianne saved the day :D
This was ANJANI's concert - Leonard was just a bonus.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:15 pm

This was ANJANI's concert - Leonard was just a bonus.

Yes, that's right, Osmachar. You can see and hear Leonard trying to wean his legions of fans from the expectations of his participation. Once he's done it, however, as he did in London and Toronto, it's very natural for them to want and somehow 'expect' it [especially with the way this tour is titled, "Leonard Introduces Anjani" ~ well, he has literally done that very thing for each one; and his singing really is a bonus, and the thing is, he really was expecting to participate by singing, and were it not for his cold, would have... still, once he's done it at one venue, the 'expectation' is there for the next]. My feeling is that no one is more understanding and sensitive to this than Leonard. He has been so giving of himself that it seems if there were any way he felt up to it, he would have. Still, it remains Anjani's concert and he continues to stress that and, I'm guessing, would hope for understanding when a situation like this arises.

It seems it could be said that people were fortunate to have seen Anjani, as she apparently wasn't feeling too well, either... at least by the time they got to Poland, where they both rallied, regardless, and one would never have known it... going by all that I heard on Polskie Radio. The range of emotions that Kleinschmidt gave above seem to be pretty natural and I suspect he wasn't alone in them. Still... he had that happy face at the end, with Marianne being the, surprize and totally unanticipated, bonus at the concert. It hadn't even crossed my mind that she might be there. Don't know why... in retrospect, it seems rather obvious. I would love to meet Marianne... and can pretty safely say that I never will... barring some really peculiar turn of fate.

The issue seems to be that once you begin to get sick, if you don't address it right then and there with isolation and rest, you only get worse. You know how that can be :( . So, he did the prudent thing for his own health and took the night off.

I'm guessing that these feelings of disappointment are the very reason that Leonard has never attended any of the official Events. Those who attended the previous ones would feel slighted that he'd chosen the one he 'attended' vs. theirs; and the ones who attend the Events that follow would 'expect' that he would and/or be disappointed that he didn't attend theirs. Tough keeping people worldwide happy :wink: .

~ Lizzy
kleinschmidt

Postby kleinschmidt » Mon Apr 02, 2007 2:43 am

lizzytysh wrote: The only thing I can say to that is that at least you got to see and hear him speak in person... more than many will ever get to do... and, of course, you got to meet Marianne!! That is unequivocally a rare treat that few of us will ever get to do. [I know that you've entertained all of these very same thoughts on your own. I'm saying them only to reenforce the positive.
Thanks for reminding me Lizzy :oops: I actually had a wonderful experience in Oslo, i guess I just needed to get this feeling: :x off my chest. And now I have :D You're absolutely right, not many people get to see leonard, and I did, still there's this voice inside me that keeps going: but just imagine how great it could have been to hear him sing.
All in all my trip to norway was completely amazing: (my english will be a little so-so...but I hope it is understandable)
I arrived at the venue one hour before the show, besides me and my friend, there were two beautiful women. One had red hair and the other almost silver-white long hair. The redhaired girl was Kari who made the interview for norwegian radio with first marianne and then Leonard. The latter was of course Marianne. I thougt she looked familiar and then Kari introduced her to someone as Marianne Ihlen and the dime dropped.
It was THEE Marianne.
I didn't meet her until later after the concert.
When the door opened me and my friend walked up to the stage and got the two frontrow seats. we couldn't belive our luck.
15 minutes later Leonard entered the stage and it was....(I mean i have waited for this since I in my late teens first discovered Leonards music in 2002 and i always thought i would simply pass out :D or at least see it as an unreal or surreal experience)... But it wasn't. It was very real, he was standing there half a meter away from us and introducing the band and finally Anjani. He said: "I'm am here to introduce Anjani and, err, here she comes :D " It was very funny but it also made me think that maybe he wasn't well since he almost huried to get down from the stage. Sadly i was right :( :( :( At the end of the third song Anjani anounced that Leonard wasn't feeling well, he had a cold and wouldn't be joinging her on stage. To bad I thought, but at least he will be there after the show so we can get to meet him, take pictures etc. But i was wrong. Leonard had allready left the building by then. Before the concert had ended.
After the concert i fell into conversation with a man from Oslo. His name was Jan-Kristian and he was friends with Marianne. He asked if we wanted to meet her and we said YES, THANK YOU VERY MUCH.
I have to say that Marianne is one if the sweetest most delightfull persons I have ever met. She was litteraly smiling constantly :D
We asked her to sign books and a Songs of love and hate-record. In The Favorite Game she wrote: "Glad to meet you. I was there when Leonard wrote this".
And in The Book of Longing she wrote: "I am honoured to be metioned by name with Ray Charles". This was a reference to the Poem where leonard recalls his days on hydra.
On the record she wrote among other things: "Unfortunately Leonard wasn't well today".
But the best thing :D :D :D as I came back for another comment in another book she suddenly gave me a big hug and kissed me on the cheek :D ...and then laughing the most wonderful laughter. I was needles to say completely stunned.

The next day we met with Jan-Kristian and all day he told the amazing story - as he had it from Marianne - of Leonards and Mariannes relationship. He told how Marianne was deeply depressed when left by her husband Axel and all alone with her litttle son. How Leonard had litterally saved her life and how he loved her and how she soon grew to love him back.

Later that day we walked over to the hotel where leonard and Anjani stayed. I suddenly felt like a papparazzi. I have often wondered what I would say when meeting leonard and now I was just standing outside his hotel to get his autograph. Why??? Then suddenly I saw him and i though to myself It's now or never and approached him. I asked if he wold sign my Book of Longing and he reached for it, but then other people, other fans approached and it was to much for him. He seemed very confused, very old all of a sudden, he was mumbling that they had to catch a plain and the bodyguard and anjani got him inside the waiting car.
I guess he was very ill at the time, very exhausted.
But anyway it was nice to see him again. I felt a little bad though, that I had concentrated so much on getting a damn signature instead of just enjoying the moment and thanking him for all his music and words and telling him how much his art has meant to me.

Oh, Dylan was in Oslo that day as well. He had a concert there the same night - I wonder if they met?

:D :D The Rock n Roll romance of the century :D :D :
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:41 am

Hi Kleinschmidt ~

Your English was fine... 't'was only your typing that went awry in the sweetest of ways with this:
I was needles to say completely stunned
...red, I presume? :)

I can understand your disappointment, Kleinschmidt. Your expectation of seeing, hearing, and meeting Leonard there was natural and normal because that was Plan A all the way around. Plan B surfaced only when Leonard caught a cold. I would have felt disappointed, too. It would have been difficult for anyone not to be. As I said, I'm sure that you weren't alone in that and, in fact, I'd guess the entire room was disappointed, as well. Imagine the feeling for those who have been waiting 10, 15, 20, and 30 years [over a quarter of a century] :( . I'm glad to see you now focusing on your great fortune of meeting Marianne. She wrote very warm and lovely comments for you.

Your description of Leonard's willingness to sign something for you, but then feeling overwhelmed when he got quickly outnumbered sounds about right for someone who doesn't feel well. I think of how I am and when someone wants to simply talk, and it just feels like absolutely too much to try to respond, and then it can get to where just their voice sounds louder and faster than it probably really is... but it's because my senses are distorted due to feeling so bad. It's clear that when Leonard's feeling well, all is well with meeting and greeting and interacting with people who want an audience with him... from your description of briefly meeting him outside the hotel [again, more than most of us will ever get to do], it sounds like he felt terrible and, even though he was initially willing to try, all he really wanted to do was go somewhere and lay down... and as soon as everyone else appeared, he knew what he needed to do right then and there. Too much is simply too much at a time like that.

I'm sorry you missed getting his signature. At least you know he was willing. I'm sure he understands that you didn't mean to overwhelm him, and from the sounds of it, whether or not you'd asked for him to sign your book wouldn't have made the difference, but when all the others appeared, he saw that he'd be having to stand up when he felt like lying down and at the very least, just getting to the car and sitting down. Of course, Anjani would be able to read him and spot that; and so she put that desire into action immediately.

Congratulations on your front-row seats, Kleinschmidt... the fans who won these tickets have done very well in that :D . It doesn't sound like Leonard was up for meeting anyone at all, so likely didn't meet with Dylan, either.
I have to say that Marianne is one if the sweetest most delightfull persons I have ever met. She was litteraly smiling constantly :D
We asked her to sign books and a Songs of love and hate-record. In The Favorite Game she wrote: "Glad to meet you. I was there when Leonard wrote this".
And in The Book of Longing she wrote: "I am honoured to be metioned by name with Ray Charles". This was a reference to the Poem where leonard recalls his days on hydra.
On the record she wrote among other things: "Unfortunately Leonard wasn't well today".
But the best thing :D :D :D as I came back for another comment in another book she suddenly gave me a big hug and kissed me on the cheek :D ...and then laughing the most wonderful laughter. I was needles to say completely stunned.

The next day we met with Jan-Kristian and all day he told the amazing story - as he had it from Marianne - . . .
This whole anecdote is delightful, Kleinschmidt. Lady Luck doesn't always smile on us in the ways we expect her to; and she clearly shined brightly on you.

I'm glad you met both Leonard and Marianne... and witnessed Anjani looking out for her man 8) .

Please tell us about Anjani's performance.

~ Lizzy
kleinschmidt

Postby kleinschmidt » Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:41 pm

I finally got the autograph that i never got in Oslo. A few days ago my father gave me a copy of The Book of longing. It was signed by leonard and had a personal greeting from him as well :D . My father knows Leonard's editor and he told the story of me traveling to Norway to see Leonard and Anjani. :D
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Mar 31, 2008 5:21 am

That's wonderful, Kleinschmidt 8) . I'm so happy for you :D .

Will you be seeing Leonard this time around? [I'm sure you've mentioned it ~ somewhere ~ but it's a madhouse out there ;-) .]

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
friscogrl

Postby friscogrl » Tue Apr 01, 2008 2:00 am

I say this with trepidation, but I have given thought to the intensity of this touring schedule and the effect of it upon leonard. It is a grueling schedule and he hasn't toured for fifteen years. And he is 73 years old and his voice isn't as strong.. i have confidence in his judgement and i have heard he is a perfectionist and most likely wouldn't commit to this tour if he didn't think he could it but just the same that thought has occurred to me.
2008 Toronto June 6/ 2009 New York Feb 19 Oakland April 13 14 Coachella April 17 Ottawa May 25 26 Barcelona Sept 21 Las Vegas 11/12 San Jose 11/13
2010 Malmo Aug 4 Gothenburg Aug 12 Las Vegas Dec 10 & 11
2012 Verona 9/24 San Jose 11/7. Montreal 11/28 11/29/ 2013 Oakland 3/2 NYC 4/6
Hamilton 4/9
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:40 pm

Just for the record, Frisco Girl [in this relatively 'hidden' spot], you're not the only one who these exact thoughts and concerns have occurred to. I lost my voice altogether on Hydra last year, as the result of exhaustion accruing for far fewer and extensive reasons. Even as a pleasure trip, this itinerary would be more than I would ever dream of considering.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
kleinschmidt

Postby kleinschmidt » Sat May 03, 2008 5:05 pm

lizzytysh wrote:That's wonderful, Kleinschmidt 8) . I'm so happy for you :D .

Will you be seeing Leonard this time around? [I'm sure you've mentioned it ~ somewhere ~ but it's a madhouse out there ;-) .]

~ Lizzy
Sorry for the late reply. But YES :D I am going to see him when he's playing in Copenhagen. I can't wait. They have had a hard time selling the tickets though. The tickets in denmark are a lot more expensive than anywhere else. almost 110 pounds.

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”