Concert DVDs

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
andola

Concert DVDs

Post by andola »

For me who did not have the opportunity or means to go and see Leonard, the available DVDs from the concerts in London and Dublin, as well as the "Songs from the Road" is a most valuable source. However, it´s strange for me that if they filmed only some of the songs of the concerts represented on "Songs from the Road", each entire concert must have been filmed. Why are these not on DVDs ? There is surely a big market out there for this.
alanwort

Re: Concert DVDs

Post by alanwort »

Having just watched the "Songs From The Road" DVD, I was going to post exactly the same question as you.

I too am wondering what happened to the other recordings. As you mentioned, they wouldn't have just recorded one song at each venue.

I would love to see the unreleased material as much as you, so if you ever find out any further information, please can you post back here.
HugoD

Post by HugoD »

Recordings have been made of almost all concerts. That is not the problem. In my opinion it is much more of a commercial / financial issue. The average viewer / listener will not hear or see any difference between the different concerts. There is only a very limited number of people who are willing to buy every DVD released from a live performance, most of them will be here on this forum; - ).

With the Live in London DVD and the Blu ray from Live in Dublin, 2 concerts from the last 2 tours can be seen in full. With Songs from the road on Blu ray you can see individual clips from various concerts (and this one is one of my favorite).

I therefore think that from a commercial point of view there is no room for another (successful) release of a live concert. I personally hope for 1 or more Blu rays in the atmosphere of Songs from the road, they may be more commercially and financially viable. But having said all that, of course I also hope for further releases of live concerts
Lille 2010, Dublin 2012, Mannheim 2013, Rotterdam 2013, Montréal 2017
Happiness is just the side effect of a meaningful life.
alanwort

Post by alanwort »

I'm obviously not an average viewer :D as there's a huge difference between the London and Dublin concerts. The London 2008 concert is superb in terms of performance and audio mix. Nothing comes close IMHO. Just a shame that it wasn't recorded in widescreen HD, but in the end it's the performance that counts.

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”