Concert Plans? (a plea.)

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Mark J

Concert Plans? (a plea.)

Postby Mark J » Mon Oct 21, 2002 9:50 pm

Hello fellow Cohen fans,

The consistent message on the latest news area of this website announces that Leonard Cohen has no plans to tour or give concerts. Well, I would just like to say that if Mr. Cohen were to put on a concert, I would pay any amount, or travel any distance, to see it. Unfortunately, I have never seen Leonard in concert, as I am a youngish fan. However, I'm certain that I'm not alone in saying that a few concert dates would be more than well received. I can see Mr. Cohen selling out in days, and he could probably charge $75+ for seats.
...so how about it, Mr. Cohen. A few pleasant evenings in front of thousands of adoring fans, and a few hundred thousand in the bank, to boot.
Plus, (my bias), Montreal would be a great place to come home and sing to.
Anyone else that would love to see Leonard live as much as I would?
lizzytysh

Great idea

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:02 am

Hi Mark J,

I wanted to tell you welcome to the Forum, even if your great idea may be falling on deaf ears. I'm afraid no amount of reasoning will get us our way on this issue. It seems that Leonard is so busy, that he's running behind on even his own agenda, much less ours, for his life!

I would travel great distances, as well, and pay huge admission fees. I believe many would. Montreal would work for me, too :wink: . If he were to ever consider a Live tour again, it seems it would have to be on the heels of his upcoming book of poetry and new music album. I just can't see him justifying that level of interruption in his schedule at this point.

The idea is great, its implementation is a whole other matter. If listener desire were the catalyst, we'd already have our tickets in hand. It's certainly been brought to him [directly/indirectly] enough. For now, at least you've discovered him early in your life and have many listening years ahead of you. That's more than many others can say :) .

How did you come upon him? Through his older or newer material?

Welcome.

~Lizzytysh
Mark J

reply to Lizzytysh

Postby Mark J » Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:09 pm

Hello, thank you for your welcome.

I discovered Leonard thanks to a friend of mine who kept repeating the line "like the shy one at some orgy" one day in drivers Ed.

Intrigued, I purchased The best of Leonard Cohen, and listened to it until I had every measure down by heart. I set my alarm clock stereo to wake me up with Suzanne, and though this was very pleasant, it does not encourage getting out of bed too fast.

Through making mixed tapes, I managed to get my friends interested, to the point where many of them are now big fans as well. Our favorite activity is sitting around a campfire, playing guitar, drinking Jack Daniels (or whatever) and singing Cohen tunes. Some of the regulars we play are So long, Marianne, Suzanne, Last Year's Man, and Lady Midnight.

I have grown to love Leonards newer music, as well. The one benefit to having a cold is that my voice drops such that I can sing along to songs like Tower of Song, and My Secret Life. I understand that Leonard is a busy man, but I believe that artists should perform their work regularly, not just for the money, but to stay on top of their craft. Also, though I'm no therapist, I would imagine that contact with thousands of adoring fans could be quite helpful and self-affirming, especially to someone susceptible to depression.

By the way, does anyone know Leonard's Montreal address? I understand why the actual location should be kept secret, but still, I'd be curious to see where he lives. It was described as "on the plateau, skirting the mountain, off St. Laurent," which is where I live. So, I may be a neighbour, but I really don't know. Anyway, take care everyone!
jarkko
Site Admin

Postby jarkko » Wed Oct 23, 2002 10:37 pm

Leonard lives now in Los Angeles but you may find this story
of interest: http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/montreal.html
("A short walk in Leonard Cohen's Westmount")
Jarkko
deggo

Postby deggo » Sun Jan 25, 2004 4:32 am

Leonard Cohen the Irish people call to you come back & sing for us, Good luck will follow you if you heed this call. Kevin Barry safe in heaven awaits your voice.
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Sun Jan 25, 2004 5:19 pm

Hi Mark

Just to reinforce your idea, last year I started a survey (on this forum) about how far fans would travel to see Leonard in concert. Before it was unkindly sabotaged by some anonymous miscreant (for a reason that remains somewhat mysterious) there appeared to be a number of us LC fans (including myself) who would travel just about anywhere in the world and incur whatever expense/debt was necessary to see such a concert! 8)

In fact, I could think of nothing better than to see LC in concert in Montreal - where his musical journey started - and I would fly there (incurring significant debt) at the drop of a hat to experience this! :D Moreover, if convenience or travel were issues for Leonard, I'd be happy for him to perform in L A. If I thought for a moment that it would make a difference (to Leonard or his management), I would happily assist with a fan petition to plead this course of action. However, like Lizzytysh has suggested, I think it has more to do with Leonard's own imperatives at this point in time and perhaps a decision he may already have made to no longer tour or do live performances. :cry:

Anyway, we who have not seen him perform live, can only live in hope that such an eventuality may still have potential to become a reality! :wink:

Cheers :)
Andrew (Darby)
'I cannot give the reasons
I only sing the tunes
The sadness of the seasons
The madness of the moons'
~ Mervyn Peake ~
margaret

Postby margaret » Sun Jan 25, 2004 8:25 pm

I echo your thoughts exactly Andrew, as another who has never seen him perform live.

But seriously, having a few concert recordings from his last tour, his voice was so croaky that a lot of songs were more spoken (in a very sexy growl!) rather than being sung 8) As much as we all enjoy the sound, it must be a bit of a strain for him to perform for about 2 hours. 10 years on may it may be even more difficult to sustain a a concert tour :cry: I hope I'm wrong and maybe he will surprise up with a one-off concert or a short poetry tour if the new collection eventually gets finished. :)

margaret
Paula

Postby Paula » Mon Jan 26, 2004 12:59 am

I know if I were coming up to 70 the last thing on my mind would be to start a gruelling tour.

I would be elated if he did decide to do a one-off performance somewhere in the world. But I am not holding my breath :lol:
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Jan 26, 2004 1:43 am

:lol: Well said, Paula. Just a tad of Reality perspective :lol: .
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:37 pm

Yes, I guess we do have to remind ourselves of that there is a reality for LC which we will never be privy to many of the aspects of, even though there are the obvious ones associated with age. :? We just have to accept this is the case, as it is with each one of us!

Not withstanding this, I'd settle for a short concert, some poetry readings or a live interview (perhaps even a combination of these) in an appropriate L A venue! :wink:

Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Mon Jan 26, 2004 5:20 pm

Oh, you would "settle for," eh Andrew......how good of you! Quite kind I find :wink: ! :lol:
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Tue Jan 27, 2004 4:54 pm

Elizabeth, I doubt that it'll ever come to this anyway! I think I'll just need to settle for and be content with what I already have viz. the occasional dream scenario involving a meeting/interaction with LC :oops:, even if they are somewhat lacking and perhaps even slightly disconcerting - but not to worry, once I get them sorted out, I'll be a happy chappy :wink:!

Andrew (Darby) :)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Tue Jan 27, 2004 7:05 pm

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, Andrew. I, too, imagine being part of a seated audience ~ in a small arena [if I'm going to dream, why not make it as I'd prefer it, eh? A small doesn't exclude a large :wink: ]. However, it would appear that we'll need to satisfy ourselves with the material that's distributed publicly, instead :) . If you hear of anything occurring in your part of the world, please let me know. If I hear of anything occurring in my part, I'll do the same. Deal :D ?

~ Lizzytysh
Andrew (Darby)

Postby Andrew (Darby) » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:02 pm

lizzytysh wrote:...However, it would appear that we'll need to satisfy ourselves with the material that's distributed publicly, instead :) . If you hear of anything occurring in your part of the world, please let me know. If I hear of anything occuring in my part, I'll do the same. Deal :D ?
Elizabeth, I'm not quite sure what you are driving at here, but I'd let you know of any LC gathering/concert publicised 'down under'... that's for sure! :wink:

Andrew (Darby)
I only sing the tunes
~ Mervyn Peake ~
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:02 pm

Not driving at, Andrew.....already there....just understated teasing ~ as though we wouldn't both, already know [most likely, concurrently], if such were on the horizon for either of us :D .

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”