Another recollection of Cohen at the Isle of Wight Festival

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Goldin

Another recollection of Cohen at the Isle of Wight Festival

Post by Goldin »

While looking through the recent mentions of Leonard Cohen @ Google Books, I found this one:

John Linnemeier
How an Average Man Lived an Adventurous Life
AuthorHouse, 2008
(to read) (to order)

P. 298:
I'm sure Paris in the Twenties was wonderful. So was the Summer of Love in San Francisco. I missed Woodstock since I was in Vietnam, but I was fortunate enough to see what some consider the last great rock concert of that era, The Isle of Wight Festival. These days it's remembered mostly as Jimi Hendrix's last concert. It took place in an enormous natural amphitheatre covered in lush green grass perhaps half a mile across. Magnificent chalk cliffs that fell of three hundred feet to the crashing waves of the ocean below framed the southern boundary.

All the great groups of the era were there. It was the first and only time I saw Leonard Cohen. When he asked us all to light a match, the valley was filled with thousands of flickering lights. The things that went on at that concert could fill a book. I met a lot of kind and loving people there. We dropped acid. We had visions. We had a great time. I'll always remember it.
The author must have a great taste in music; this is the second item in his list of "Best Things in the World" (p. 48-49):
Listening to the music of Leonard Cohen when I'm feeling down.

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”