Cohen has ONE bad habit

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
somewhat_nifty

Re: Cohen has ONE bad habit

Post by somewhat_nifty » Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:17 pm

Parsifal wrote:
somewhat_nifty wrote:
MaryB wrote:There were definitely a lot more intros at the beginning of the tour. There were many discussions pro and con on the forum about this topic. By dropping the many band introductions, perhaps this enabled them to add more songs to the setlist :? :D .
Possibly, except they seem to have reduced the setlist and dropped the intros now.

I rather like the introductions myself, however often they occur, it acknowledges everyone's contribution and makes it feel like a collaborative event. It seems to have been a part of Leonard's live shows for years and I think embodies his generous and self-effacing nature. Plus, I like knowing who everyone is too :D
No, the setlist hasn't been reduced. Count the number of songs performed and you'll find they're the same: intros and chat HAVE been reduced, it's true, which may have added to the impression of a shorter performance. And some numbers have indeed been dropped, but they've been replaced by others. :)
I stand corrected! The shows I attended do indeed have the same number of songs, apart from Weybridge which was 1 song shorter, but it was chucking it down with rain, so fair enough! They do feel like they've got shorter as time goes on, probably because time spent with Leonard just flies by ;-)
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Parsifal

Post by Parsifal » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:50 am

[/quote]

I stand corrected! The shows I attended do indeed have the same number of songs, apart from Weybridge which was 1 song shorter, but it was chucking it down with rain, so fair enough! They do feel like they've got shorter as time goes on, probably because time spent with Leonard just flies by ;-)[/quote]

I'm not even sure this was true of Weybridge....I believe Weybridge saw the last performance of Democracy for a while, after which it was replaced by Waiting For The Miracle.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:28 am

OK, I can't count then, and we'll leave it at that :D
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
depe

Post by depe » Tue Aug 25, 2009 6:58 pm

I know it can be a bit distracting in the middle of something, but it is part of his respect for others coming through. I also re-read my Book of Longing this week and notice he is full of praise for people who have helped at the end of this book too - so giving recognition is part of what you get. (Incidentally I wouldn't recommend leaving it where one's elderly and somewhat prudish mother can read it, as some of the prose, wonderful as it is, proved a bit too descriptive! :roll:
Weybridge, Lille, O2, Wembley, O2, Brighton, Dublin, O2, Rotterdam

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”