Regarding the new release "Live ın London"

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
meurglys0

Regarding the new release "Live ın London"

Post by meurglys0 » Sat May 30, 2009 6:30 pm

Writing from Istanbul, I'm waiting for the day I will -God willing- get to see LC perform live here on the fifth of August. Meanwhile I'm going through the bootlegs and recordings and albums etc. You could say I'm literally warming up for the show...

Anyway I just got "Live In London" and I'm somewhat disappointed. LC's performance is so great it sounds as if the show had been recorded way back in 1993. However the band, the music really failed to excite me. Maybe it's just the mix: Leonard's voice seems to be way too much in the front, shadowing the band. Maybe it's the lack of a violin, a burning one! What's the deal? The songs -especially the likes of Dance Me To The End Of Love and Everybody Knows- have turned dull and barren.

Is it just this recording that has been stripped of fire or has the violin been forsaken forever? Is it only me or is this music far too much keyboard-oriented than we had accustomed to?

Regards to all.
tomsakic

Re: Regarding the new release "Live ın London"

Post by tomsakic » Sun May 31, 2009 12:49 am

There's no violin player on this tour.

London DVD/CDs has indeed been stripped down in mix - on shows and bootlegs (I recommend you to download /for free/ Toronto June 6, 2008, or Beacon New York, February 2009, or to go to the YouTube to see dozens of clips) the current band is very loud (in the best way) and atmosphere much filler, richer and deeper than on London mix. And to my hears it's more "strings" oriented as you can hear Javier Mas playing various strings during all the songs, plus some great organ/keyboard stuff from Neil Larsen all the way thru the shows . But it's not "keyboard" (synthesizer) stuff like it was in 1988.

Maybe it's just me, but the London release doesn't catch the core and heart of this tour.
donalagata

Post by donalagata » Sun May 31, 2009 3:23 am

I actually purchased the Live in London DVD and watched it with my sisters since they were not able to attend a live concert. They were very impressed and moved by the whole concert as it was seen on DVD. I must say I was so excited by my sisters reaction that I did not find any flaws or deficiencies in the presentation. I then saw the live concert in Detroit and nothing compares to sharing Leonards company live. It is the man I love and all that he represents. He could sing or recite the phone book and I would be completely captivated by the sound of his voice. My sisters now adore him also... He is wonderful.......
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Sun May 31, 2009 1:03 pm

I have to add that I didn't see the DVD yet in its entirety, only clips online. My comments are all directed to CD release. (And its comparison to recordings from Beacon Theatre, Toronto, Dublin, Manchester, and two shows I saw live.)
meurglys0

Post by meurglys0 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:23 am

Tom Sakic wrote:I have to add that I didn't see the DVD yet in its entirety, only clips online. My comments are all directed to CD release. (And its comparison to recordings from Beacon Theatre, Toronto, Dublin, Manchester, and two shows I saw live.)
Are these shows that you praise sourced from FM or SBD? Or do we have only audience recordings?
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:49 am

I seem to remember hearing that every live show has been properly recorded, but whether any of this sees the light of day (in our lifetime) is anyone's guess. Personally, I'm totally satisfied with the "Live in London" DVD and the live shows that I've experinced.

All the best, John E
donalagata

Post by donalagata » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:22 pm

I completely agree John...
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Beacon is FM and downloaded from dimeadozen; others are audience recordings, same source. Toronto is quite good quality.

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”