What song would you want to be added to the set list?

Recollections from Leonard Cohen's pre-2008 tours, YouTube clips
Ziyad

What song would you want to be added to the set list?

Post by Ziyad »

For me, it would have to be one of the following:

Please Don't Pass Me By
Seems So Long Ado, Nancy
Death Of A Ladies Man
Chelsea Hotel
You Know Who I Am
Last Year's Man
Joan of Arc
Diamonds InThe Mine
Famous Blue RAincoat

Probably Please Don't Pass Me By or Last Year's Man
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
lonndubh

Re: What song would you want to be added to the set list?

Post by lonndubh »

What about the COHEN- JENNIFER WARNES - Song Of Bernadette
commonweal

Post by commonweal »

It is curious that two of his best albums (Songs of Love and Hate and Recent Songs) and his two worst albums (Death of a Ladies' Man and Dear Heather) are the least well represented in the tour. I would love to hear more from either Love and Hate or Recent Songs. Anything, really, but I guess The Guests would be top of the list of songs he's not played at all, and Famous Blue Raincoat would be top of the list of songs he's played only two or three times so far.

Also, I'd love to hear Alexandra Leaving live. I adore that song, and I think it's the most beautiful song on Ten New Songs.

Both The Guests and Alexandra Leaving would be mesmerising with the current band, surely...?

The more difficult question is what would you CUT from the current tour in order to make way? And "the interval" is presumably not an acceptable answer...
Ziyad

Post by Ziyad »

Good question commonweal - my choices for songs to remove would be:
- Ain't No Cure For Love - lovely but light
- The Gypsy's Wife - unlike commonweal I've never rated Recent Songs highly, it's Albums 1 - 4 lite for me
- Closing Time - chosen for the title of the song and hence it's place near the end but undeserving as a song
- I Tried To Leave You - like Closing Time but more so, I live New Skin but replace with another song from New Skin
1974 London RAH|1976 London RAH, London New Vic x 3|1979 Manchester|1985 London Hamm x 2|1988 London RAH x 3|1993 London RAH x 2|2008 Manchester x 2, Glastonbury, London O2 x 2, Big Chill, London RAH, Brighton|2009 Weybridge|2012 London Wembley|2013 London O2 x 2

"thanks for the trouble you took from her eyes, i thought it was there for good so i never tried"
UrPal

Post by UrPal »

Maybe the Webb Sisters spot should be filled by A Singer Must Die in place of If It Be Your Will :shock:

;-)

I'm only half joking, as Julie Christensen did an excellent version in the Came So Far tribute shows.

Poor taste though, I guess. That's a problem with some of the songs not being performed. They might be considered a bit too bleak for a more upbeat show or out of step with LC's twilight years.

True Love Leaves No Traces (or the Anjani re-use of the lyrics of the song, or a merger of the two?) would be good.

I've a soft spot for I Left A Woman Waiting and Lady Midnight.

Chelsea Hotel would be good, though I appreciate it recalls an event which does the memory of Janis Joplin no favours - and doesn't reflect too well on LC in terms of his selectivity in the various positions he's been inclined to find himself either :lol:

I have a greater respect for Closing Time than used to be the case, but agree that the show closers could be pepped up a bit. Hard On was a funny end (if you'll pardon the pun) to the Came So Far shows. Memories too.

You might have noticed that I am a DOALM enthusiast. Might I suggest that this tour could present an opportunity to see them in a new light with the blurring Spectroscopy removed?

Avalanche has been performed at least once and is a favourite.Joan of Arc and Diamonds In The Mine, of course.

Love Itself?

I agree about Alexandra Leaving.

The Captain, my captain, The Captain.
Heike

Post by Heike »

Well, Leonard played two of the four songs that I chose in the "Which songs would you like to hear on the tour?" section before the tour started, so I shouldn't complain :) .

On the other hand, Joan of Arc and True Love Leaves No Traces (or The Mist), yes, I second that.
I would also love to hear One of us cannot be wrong.

Maybe there will be some surprises waiting for us in October/November...
2008: Lörrach/Berlin/Frankfurt/Oberhausen/Manchester
2009: Cologne/Dublin/Barcelona
2010: Berlin/Wiesbaden/Lisboa/Dortmund/Stuttgart/Warszawa
2012: Ghent, August 12/Berlin/Lisboa
2013: Oberhausen/Berlin
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

Our Lady of Solitude. It's a song that really showcases the range of his voice, imo. The arrangement is wonderful...the chord change, the drums on the chorus. I just love it. I think the current band would do amazing things with it.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by Nostalgia »

I would love to hear A Bunch Of Lonesome Heroes - this song is one of my favorite songs for more than 35 years (and by the way, I love to sing along :D )
and I also love to hear One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong - a perfectly wonderful song
Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering
There is a crack in everything
That's how the light gets in.

Lörrach, July 25
ariadne

Post by ariadne »

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong gets my vote as well.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

One Of Us Cannot Be Wrong
A Thousand Kisses Deep
Chema

Post by Chema »

Alexandra Leaving
You Have Loved Enough
Because Of
There For You
hollgerson

Post by hollgerson »

Joan of Arc
markbowen

Post by markbowen »

Joan of Arc
There Is a War
Waiting for the Miracle (it was in some sets, but not currently)
Jazz Police

In general, I would have liked to hear a bit more from Ten New Songs. I also think an awesome song with which to bring the house down would be "Don't Go Home with Your Hard-On," in place of "Closing Time." His band is crackerjack, and I believe they would tear that one up, redeeming the mess Phil Spector made of it.
1988 & 1993: Washington, DC / 2008: Lucca, Italy / 2009: Belgrade, Serbia
jondi

Post by jondi »

Great topic, saw LC five times (get a life Jon) on the summer tour and at least twice when I cried to Raincoat. I would love to hear more new material on The Fall Tour but doubt that I will so dreams will include True Love and Came so Far for Beauty (they've both helped me when I needed them, Avalanche seems to be creeping in and I would happily see Tower of Song creep out and drag Hallelujah (too hard to spell) with it. There is a load that is being done that isn't on my must hear list and I wonder if that is why I keep turning up in over large sheds just on the off chance that tonight will be the one night that we have a truly unique experience ... you and me and your guitar and Stan and the other quiet few
Amrei

Post by Amrei »

I really would like to hear Hunter's lullaby. Generally I´m perfectly happy with the setlist as it is.

Amrei
2009: Berlin 02.07.
2010: Hannover 27.09.; Dortmund 29.09.
2012: Copenhagen 25.08.; Aalborg 26.08.; Berlin 05.09.
2013: Hamburg 14.07.

Return to “Live performances & YouTube clips”