CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, Portugal, October 7, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Heike

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Lisbon, Portugal, October 7, 2012

Post by Heike »

What a wonderful concert this was :D !

Leonard was in a very playful mood and it was such a pleasure to watch him.

Here's an article from the Público newspaper called
"Embalados pelo tempo de Leonard Cohen"
by Vítor Belanciano:

http://www.publico.pt/Cultura/embalados ... en-1566344

(If a native speaker could provide a translation, it would be great. If not, I can try on the weekend.)
Juan Luis Corcobado

Videos. Lisbon, October 7, 2012.

Post by Juan Luis Corcobado »

Last edited by Juan Luis Corcobado on Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Juan Luis Corcobado Cartes
Pal. Deportes de Madrid 1993 | Passeio Marítimo de Algés Lisboa 2008 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2009 | Pal. Deportes de Madrid 2009 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2010 | Pav. Atlântico Lisboa 2012 | The O2 Dublin 2013
corcobado[at]gmail.com
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

Heike wrote:http://www.publico.pt/Cultura/embalados ... en-1566344

(If a native speaker could provide a translation, it would be great. If not, I can try on the weekend.)
I put these into Google Translate just to see how they get mangled.
time. There were three and a half hour concert. They are 78 years in that body. Songs are eternal. Songs are enthusiastically received around the world at present, partly because it was too long absent from the stage. Let the songs stand. He gave himself up to the possibility of rest. When revived, gained new meaning. And he, a new breath. Perhaps in these days of fragmented culture we need songs like that, that make us believe in the permanence.

Cohen's songs are that. Solid. Immovable. Perfect, whatever it is. It started with "Dance me to the end of love" and then went straight to "The Future". The weather, always. Since his return in 2008, was the fourth time he has performed in Portugal, and the public permanently with him. Sometimes respectful. Sometimes bursting into applause. Toward the end singing in chorus "So long, Marianne." Stage and audience together.

He, elegant in his dark suit and his hat, sometimes doubling up on itself, other hopping and other kneeling, as the inevitable "Halllelujah", marked by a solemn organ solo, singing with the lightness of Who knows all the words to the songs, but at the same time with demersal who knows the complexity of singing.

The stage scenery was sober but elegant. The musicians, in symbiosis with it, respecting its primacy, mature like him, knowing how to listen and hear, not getting lost in technical juggling. This was indeed one of the predominant ideas: sobriety. There are some new melodies, there are some deviations from the norm of the songs, but it's all done in a subtle way.
Even when they played some of the songs from the new album ("Old Ideas") that could display more excessive melodies, arrangements were fair, harmonious balance with that done in various shades (jazz, folk, gospel) that flow into those words and voice.

By the interval there were songs from the new album and other things like "Everybody Knows," "Waiting for the Miracle" or "Anthem". The second half was even better, as if the musicians were there until just warm. "Tower of song" rocks the audience and prepares it for "Suzanne", one of the most intense moments, followed by others that everyone knows like "I'm your man" or "Take this waltz", acclaimed for standing, already a small crowd in front of the stage that had abandoned the chairs in the audience.

By the middle of the singers shine also support, especially Sharon Robinson, and more timeless songs as "First we take Manhattan" or "Save the last dance for me", which ends the last three "encores." At one time they addressed the audience, Leonard Cohen had said: "I hope you find more often in the future, if it does happen, promises you that we will give everything today." This promise was fulfilled completely.

I especially liked this bit.........
Leonard Cohen had said: "I hope you find more often in the future, if it does happen, promises you that we will give everything today."
So ther you have it - Leonard's philosophy in one line - not sure he would recognise it !!!
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Heike

Post by Heike »

Google Translate is always good for a laugh, but rarely for more...
As a translator, it makes me sad that many people consider it a proper translation tool.

Example:
"The weather, always", in this context, actually means "Time is a recurring motive (in his songs)".
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Thank you for your wonderful videos. :D Juan Luis.
Marina
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A nice video uploaded by jofi293 - Thanks!

Famous Blue Raincoat
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUJNelxElp4

ETA - and another nice one ...

Dance Me To The End Of Love
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDLNMMUjIts
Last edited by sturgess66 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
NewZealander

Post by NewZealander »

Thanks for that one (Famous Blue Raincoat) Lovely to hear the audience singing along as well, really captured the atmosphere of the concert. :D
annmarie

Post by annmarie »

Many thanks for the videos Juan Luis. We sat at the same table having some early beers on Sunday, but didn't get around to introducing ourselves! :)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A video prepared about Leonard's show in Lisbon by a television station in Portugal - "everythingisnewtv" - for a series "On The Road" -

Includes interviews with fans - the last gentleman speaks passionately about Leonard - saying he is "a brave man" and "the man is soul. The man appeals to the eternal soul in every human being on the planet."

On The Road! Leonard Cohen no Pavilhão Atlântico
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk-LV8V1ieA
tinderella

Post by tinderella »

Thank you for this.. That man really spoke for a lot of us. 'He belongs to Europe' :)
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

This was just uploaded to YouTube by Sergio Noronha so I'm just dropping it off - because it belongs here :)

Leonard Cohen TV Spot RTP
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MnTfxRacFBo

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”