CONCERT REPORTS: Paris September 28, 29, 30, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
IMM

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Paris September 28, 29, 30, 2012

Post by IMM »

Looks like you got a pic of Adrienne Clarkson on the 28th :)
oblivion

Post by oblivion »

P1050191_2.jpg
P1050191_2.jpg (24.73 KiB) Viewed 6878 times
I have nothing to say, but thank you leonard for warming our souls!!!
ute
frankfurt+munic 1976; nuremberg 1988; lörrach, berlin, frankfurt+london 2008;
new york, cologne, venice, istanbul, prague + barcelona 2009
sligo, berlin, ghent, wiesbaden, strasbourg, marseille, hannover, dortmund, warsaw, las vegas 2010
ghent, helsinki, berlin, dublin, verona, paris...2012
oberhausen, mannheim, bruxelles, lucca, hamburg, odense, amsterdam...2013
Gordana

Post by Gordana »

Thank you for your superb photos Maarten. THE BEST ON 2012 TOUR! :D
Beograd 2009
BrokenBanjo

Post by BrokenBanjo »

Thanks for the super photos, Maarten.
Nice to meet you on Saturday.
Belfast: 26th July, 2009, Paris: 29th September, 2012
Looking forward to Birmingham, 8th September, 2013.
Born With The Gift Of A G

Post by Born With The Gift Of A G »

Myriad thanks for those superb photographs, Maarten.

My wife and I were fortunate enough to have third row seats for the show on Friday, 28th September 2012 and I have now managed to identify the back of her head on your images of the encores from that particular concert.

A truly wonderful performance from LC and the band at L'Olympia, which is easily the best venue of the 2012 European Tour.
There is simply no better place in which to hear LC sing The Partisan.

So many marvellous memories....but hearing Night Comes On was a genuinely moving moment for me.

I loved the contributions of Alexandru Bublitchi and thought that his violin elevated the likes of Bird On The Wire and Sisters Of Mercy to new heights.

Alexandra Leaving - at last!
Superb....however, I still have one nagging reservation: if only LC would duet with Sharon on the chorus!

What a few days in Paris for my wife: well over three hours in the company of Leonard Cohen and an unexpected close encounter with Richard Gere in our hotel, too!
"Little lady.....I AM Kris Kristofferson....."
London: 10 & 11 May 1993; Manchester: 17, 18, 19 & 20 June 2008; Vienna: 25 September 2008; London: 17 November 2008; Paris: 26 November 2008; Manchester: 30 November 2008; Liverpool: 14 July 2009; Paris: 28 September 2012; Manchester: 31 August 2013; Leeds: 7 September 2013.
Wimmer

Post by Wimmer »

Thank you Maarten for amazing and fantastic photos.
Marina
DerekH

Post by DerekH »

The last time I saw Leonard prior to this weekend was at Weybridge in 2009. Whilst the performance was amazing as always, my overriding lasting memory of it was unfortunately the constant rain we all endured. I therefore decided on the day of the annoucement of the present tour to attend an indoor venue and, if possible, the smallest and therefore most intimate.
L'Olympic did not disappoint. I attended the Saturday and Sunday night performances and once again my soul was touched in a most profound way, and I knew that every other membere of that audience was feeling those emotions of utter joy and rapture alongside me. Leonard was wonderful, the band were wonderful, the audience were wonderful and the venue was perfect in every way. I do not believe I will ever witness another performance to match them. If Leonard ever announces future performances at L'Olympic I will be there.
On the Saturday night I had a seat in the seventh row and on Sunday night in the second row and once again I thank Jarrko for making that possible.
Thank you Christelle for your hard work in arranging the meet ups over the weekend and the problems you had to overcome. It was very much appreciated.
It was really exciting to meet some of you like minded forum members from around the globe.
1972 : Royal Albert Hall, London.
2008 : O2, London X 2, Brighton.
2009 : Weybridge.
2012 : L'Olympia, Paris X 2.
2013 : June O2, London
James-on-tour

Post by James-on-tour »

I was enthralled by all three Paris shows as I have been by each any every one
of the 25 L.C. shows that I attended.

I was not asked for a tip on any night but did give one
on Sunday night - front row, beautiful girl - what can I say?

As Dublin x 4 and Paris x 3 was my lot for this round (prior
committments to American football have seen to that),
my mood was obviously good.

I loved the venue and although people talk about the magic in
Kilmainham, I am not a fan of outdoor gigs.
It is difficult to concentrate when your bones are aching with the cold.

I certainly hope that this was not my final L.C. show but if so
it was memorable.

For those of you with tickets to future shows - ENJOY ENJOY ENJOY
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Here's a video from Sept 29 - uploaded by capitaineflam1 - Thanks!

The Partisan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3iKqi1XVTk
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

From la-Croix.com

http://www.la-croix.com/Culture-Loisirs ... -29-859057
29/09/12 - 12 H 02

Leonard Cohen, as in his room at the Olympia

Canadian singer and poet aged 78 was greeted with fervor Friday night for the first of three concerts he gave at the Olympia until Sunday

Black suit and Borsalino. Cozy and concert river. Generous smiles and warm words in perfect French ... At age 78, Leonard Cohen, apparently serene, did not in the semi-presenting elegance Friday, September 28, after four years of absence, the Parisian public of Olympia. He described a room in impeccable French, the "legendary" and that it offered more than three hours of entertainment.

It is true that the "faithful" the crooner had paid - still - 100 to € 167 ... For that price, they could see the singer mode intimate, as if they were in her living room: the scenic space was even carpeted, decorated with large white curtains ... Part between blues and jazz, silent and stripped, including titles devoted to the last album "Old Ideas," published last January. More relaxed second part, where the artist aligns the traits of humor and raises public enthusiasm. An almost religious fervor, even when interpreting his famous "Hallelujah" ...

During this vast tower of song - and overview of a vast repertoire - interrupted by an intermission, Leonard Cohen, his voice still as serious and increasingly hoarse and veiled - well supported by its singers Sharon Robinson and the Webb Sisters - a course delivered his most famous songs such as "Suzanne" and "Sisters of Mercy". Interpretations neat, often much longer than the original version due to musical achieving high degrees of melancholy, in which the singer, while meditation has nothing missed flights of five musicians. He did not hesitate even to kneel when interpreting the wonderful, intense "Bird on the Wire" timeless despite its 43 years of age. Or "Dance me to the end of love," another classic, dating it to 1984. Canadian poet used to say that his songs are made "for last thirty years." The Parisian venue, fills, replied with shouts of great evenings. Applause to burst at the end of each piece, standing ovations, repeatedly, total silence when the next song starts ...

The concert also had the merit of bringing out the beautiful pieces intensity of recent Leonard Cohen, "Going Home" to "Show me the Place". Evocations of love, aging and the passage of time, or death, the poet musician likes to tackle "in rhythm" ... "I know my days are few" ("I know my days are numbered") , he sings well in "The Darkness," from the latest album, the already classic soul ... "Good songs have the ability to touch the heart in its pain, its failures. But they are also used to do the dishes or canvas to romance. They have the power to soothe, to give courage, "stated Leonard Cohen in January, during a previous visit to Paris to promote the release of 'Old Ideas. "He added, not without humor:" I think the age allows me to be a free spirit. As we age, it seems that most of the brain cells associated with anxiety tend to disappear, "while promising, already, another album soon. This beautiful concert in Paris, followed by two others Saturday 29 and Sunday 30, is not that of a farewell, despite the words of the artist at the beginning of recital: "I do not know if we'll see, but I promise you that tonight we will give everything we have. "

DANA JEAN-YVES
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A few more videos -

Uploaded by Gnac17 - Thanks!

Sept 28

In My Secret Life
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQq0EfbtUR8

Sisters of Mercy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYo6x1weJl0

Tower of Song
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zB4Q2P2ut9Y
Christopher B

Post by Christopher B »

Paris on the 28th. A magnificent concert, probably the best since I've been to since Manchester Opera House and that was special not having seen Leonard on stage for some years. I thought that the Wembley performance was great but this seemed almost on a different plane. The venue was far more intimate and seats 01 and 02 on row 12 were perfect and probably the best I've ever had (despite the bizzare numbering). No large screens or dominating speakers just Leonard and Co very much alive and having great fun. Everyone was on superb form, Sharon's solo, which I thought at Wembley would have been better as a duet, was so beautiful, the Webb sisters truely sublime. Leonard's voice seems to go from strength to strength and at times when not fully on mic he seemed to be singing along in a much higher range than for many years, or am I imagining it.

Overall an amazing and breathtaking night in a fantastic venue which suits Leonard far better than large stadium. Admittedly being in Paris helps,its a pleasure to be able to sit outside after the concert with an omlette and beer after midnight. Can't wait until I have another opportunity to see him. I was very envious of the couple from the States sitting directly in front who had not only had been to Verona but were in Paris for all three nights.

Maarten, thanks for the great photos which really capture the spirit and atmosphere of the evening.
IrishAL

Post by IrishAL »

Some Video from Saturday and Sunday nights.

Waiting for the Miracle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOjADffbexUhttp:/

Amen,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZR1MYvJ7PUs

I'm your Man.
/www.youtube.com/watch?v=WMyZ7bOjsF8

enjoy.

Albert
Last edited by IrishAL on Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
2008: Dublin x2 London Helsinki London RAH M'chester
2009:
New York Weybridge Dublin x2 Belfast Lisbon Bratislava, B'celona Chicago L' Vegas, San Jose
2010: Zagreb Sligo x2 Berlin Gent x2 Florence Marseille Katowice Bratislava L' Vegasx2
2012 Gent x2 Amsterdam X2 Dublin x4 Verona Paris x2,Boston
2013NewYork,Brussels,Prague,Vienna,Zurich,Manchester,Birmingham,Dublinx2,London,Rotterdam,Amsterdam
LC&LC

Post by LC&LC »

2009: Paris, Nimes, Barcelona, 2010: Caen, Strasbourg, Marseille, Tours, Lille, Las Vegas, 2012: Ghent x2, London, Verona, Paris x3, Barcelona, Madrid, NYC, Brooklyn, 2013: NYCx2, Paris, London, Brussels, Rome, Lucca, Hamburg, Berlin, Prague, Vienna, Pula, Manchester, London, Amsterdam, Perth, Sydney, Melbourne, Cairns, Townsville, Brisbane, Sydney Opera House
DerekH

Post by DerekH »

Great videos Albert (IrishAL). I decided not to take my camera to Paris. A decision I bitterly regretted until I watched your videos. Please post any more you have. I for one will watch them again and again. Thank you.
1972 : Royal Albert Hall, London.
2008 : O2, London X 2, Brighton.
2009 : Weybridge.
2012 : L'Olympia, Paris X 2.
2013 : June O2, London

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”