CONCERT REPORT: Verona, September 24, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
jarkko
Site Admin

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Verona, September 24, 2012

Post by jarkko »

The Finnish delegation returned from Italy yesterday, after a very interesting and busy time.

We want to thank Andrea and Marco for their great hospitality and all the special arrangements they had prepared for more than 100 Forum members!

Eija is sorting our photos right now, and we plan to have a Photo Gallery of the Arena, soundcheck & the concert uploaded and opened tonight. A meetup gallery will follow shortly.

It was also a pleasure to meet Tom again after a while! He has recently completed his PhD dissertation, and will have the dissertation defense in less than two weeks. Exciting and important period in his academic life. I hope he will have some time just to relax afterwards, after many years of hard work - and we also need him in our LC community as one of the most respected and knowledgeable members!

Here is our Dr. Tom with his new hat in Verona
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal »

Thank you Jarkko for telling us about Tom's achievement of his PhD. Tom is a very special person on the Forum and I would be very sorry if he decided to withdraw.

We need him here :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Our recording from Verona (5 songs, first 2 are edited and up):

Night Comes On: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GobMFT7QvUk
Who By Fire?: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWGexranKSQ

Three more songs will be up'd today (I need 5hs per song), but our great full audio recording of show is coming out in few days:)

Videos and the show taped by Juraj M. (of Burgenland 2010 bootleg fame)
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Err, thank you Jarkko my man:) Unfortunately PhD is not in Cohenology but in film studies:) But I hope to write that Cohen book I promised one day....
Okudzhava

Post by Okudzhava »

Čestitke Tomislave. Cool fotka. ;-)
Belgrade, Serbia, 2. IX 2009.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

We have now opened a Photo Album of the Verona Arena, the sound check and the concert
at http://cohen.1g.fi/#/kuvat/Verona+Arena ... +24,+2012/
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

:D Thanks so much... lovely photos..
Laura

Post by Laura »

Great hat, too, Tom! :-)
liverpoolken

Post by liverpoolken »

jarkko wrote: It was also a pleasure to meet Tom again after a while! He has recently completed his PhD dissertation, and will have the dissertation defense in less than two weeks. Exciting and important period in his academic life. I hope he will have some time just to relax afterwards, after many years of hard work - and we also need him in our LC community as one of the most respected and knowledgeable member
i couldn't agree more with you jarkko..tom is one of the good guys....

and to celebrate the fact we are now taking orders for the latest item of unofficial merchandise.....ta ken
tombag.jpg
Solitudine non é essere soli, é amare gli altri inutilmente - Mario Stefani
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

margaret wrote:I wonder how many of the newer members of this Forum, realise the time and dedication given by Tom to this community and to all things Cohen?

Despite his 'comparative youth,' an accident of birth, which has made him unable to be a so called "fan" for 40 years, Tom has, since his teenage years, researched, collected and archived an encyclopaedic amount of information and has created other LC websites which he runs alongside being a moderator here.

Tom is 2nd only to Jarkko for his dedication here. He corresponded years ago with Leonard's old manager (the one who robbed him) in order to produce a publication on his work.
As well as interviewing Sharon Robinson, Tom has worked on various publications, and translations of L C 's work, and he has taken part in serious democratic discussions, as well as being a leading member in collecting and trading circles well before there was any indication of a new tour. Most admirers of Mr Cohen for a long time have merely been glad to buy his work and attend concerts.

I happen to agree there is a lot of hero worship of Leonard and all his associates by some fans. There is nothing wrong with a little criticism and free expression around here. Leonard would be the first to admit he is no sacred cow.
I really couldn't agree with this more, Margaret, and you have said it so well.

Tom is a critical thinker. I don't think there is an ounce of blind devotion in him. Blind devotion fades. It falters when challenged and waivers when distracted. An assessment made based on critical thinking remains solid, strong and consistent. That is why Tom was interested in Leonard when there was nothing happening, when it appeared that all that Leonard had to say he had said.

Ultimately, I think we are all here to get closer to Leonard. We have been touched or inspired or comforted by his work and we want to know how and why. As fans there is only one way to truly know Leonard, know his work. Few know it better than Tom.
Marie
Speaking Cohen
Paul Zagreb

Post by Paul Zagreb »

liverpoolken wrote: and to celebrate the fact we are now taking orders for the latest item of unofficial merchandise.....ta ken
tombag.jpg
I am glad you have left the S as S and not Š --- this item will come to be known as the Sakić sack!

Marie - I love the definition of critical thinking - and Tom is one of those - as we will be able to remember as we bring our groceries in with the Sakić sack!
2008: Manchester 20 June /Vienna 24 September /Berlin 4 October / Cardiff 8 November/Manchester 30 November 2009: Liverpool 14 July / Belgrade 2 September / Barcelona 21 September 2010: Zagreb 25 July /Sankt Margarethan 5 September 2012: Ghent 12 August/Verona 24 September/Lisbon 7 October 2013: London 21 June / Berlin 17 July / Ljubljana 25 July / Pula 2 August / London 15 September
susanne30072009

Post by susanne30072009 »

tomsakic wrote:After Verona show I decided that my time with Cohen fans, especially "new" members, is done ....[/i]
C'mon Tom, calm down. Stay In! I have made the same experiences as you (some very strange ones), but we all have to be "open"....
The "new" Memebers are not all the same, as you know for yourself very well. And sure, they all have a different view of all the things around Leonard, in every Way: Music, Lyrics, Performances etc..
But also: everybody is free to tell his own opinion.
But if you have a feeling of things, don't expect, that the others are sharing the same... when you made a statement, you have to deal with the "opposite"... hell, it's difficult, to say exactly, what I want to tell you...
But it isn't worth to make a sharp "cut"... at least, we all loves the Work of Leonard... everybody in his own way.
And that's what's count at the end.
Don't let some stupid Mails forced you in to this direction... would be a shame. We all lives from "contradistinction".
I don't agree with you in more than one point.
But that doesn't mean, that I don't want to read your texts anymore. We are living from opposite views...
And I don't want it otherwise. So please stay in!

Uwe + Susanne
Litzi74

Post by Litzi74 »

Hi everyone, you can download now my photos from the meeting, plus some photo from concert.
If this link it`s not works (i don`t know how many times suport this link downloads), send me a "PM" with your email adress (don`t post your adres here on forum) and i will send this photo again.

http://dl.transfer.ro/IMGP3375-transfer ... ecd396.zip

Vali.
Vali

Bucharest 2008
Bucherest 2009
Firenze 2010
Verona 2012
maroo

Post by maroo »

WOW!!

What fantastic group!!!
I wish I was there!!! for the big group meeting and off course for the great concert!!!

Next tour, Next tour!!!!!
Dublin 14/15th September 2012
andrea

Post by andrea »

Litzi74 wrote:Hi everyone, you can download now my photos from the meeting, plus some photo from concert.
If this link it`s not works (i don`t know how many times suport this link downloads), send me a "PM" with your email adress (don`t post your adres here on forum) and i will send this photo again.

http://dl.transfer.ro/IMGP3375-transfer ... ecd396.zip

Hi Vali,
thank you for your fotos, cannot see them, so I will send you an pm with my email address.
I remember also in Florence you made nice photos :-)
See you again somewhere...
ciao from Verona
Andrea
Vali.
1976 june Zürich (both evenings)
2008 july london - july loerrach - july lucca - october berlin - october milan - november london
2009 july koeln - august venice - september barcelona
2010: july salzburg - september florence- - december las vegas
2012: august ghent - september berlin - verona
2013: august pula - august Zürich

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”