CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
annmarie

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by annmarie »

Brilliant review Gwen! Glad you thought Sat's Marianne was the best :) You should have heard it from "the sticks"!!!!!!!!! Noticed droves of people leaving before the end tho. I can understand why someone with a child would want to get ahead of the crowd, but imagine turning your back on Marianne :!:
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

musicmania wrote:We all loved when before Take This Waltz Cohen quoted something which included the line "Let my people dance" This was obviously a comment to the stewards to allow us dance in the aisles during this song as we made our way to the stage for the encores. I've yet to discover the origins of those words but it was a touching moment from Cohen to all of us which he repeated the following night.
OMG. I've found that moment at DIME upload of Sept 14 concert. This is from Go Down Moses (aka Let My People Go).
And this is priceless. Pri-ce-less. Thank you, Gwen, for letting us know!

When Israel was in Egypt land
Let my people dance
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people dance
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

Goldin wrote:
musicmania wrote:We all loved when before Take This Waltz Cohen quoted something which included the line "Let my people dance" This was obviously a comment to the stewards to allow us dance in the aisles during this song as we made our way to the stage for the encores. I've yet to discover the origins of those words but it was a touching moment from Cohen to all of us which he repeated the following night.
OMG. I've found that moment at DIME upload of Sept 14 concert. This is from Go Down Moses (aka Let My People Go).
And this is priceless. Pri-ce-less. Thank you, Gwen, for letting us know!

When Israel was in Egypt land
Let my people dance
Oppressed so hard they could not stand
Let my people dance
Thank you Roman for letting us know the origins of this. I'll edit my blog and the submitted review to Drop-d. So pleased to now know :D

Thank you for the kind comments friends. Yes those were the roses Minnie. There is a very special reason as to why I felt compelled to give Leonard the roses, one which I am not ready to share yet but will do when I am. I'm still processing it in my own head first. Suffice to say though Leonard's kind gesture means more to me than I can ever put into words.

Unbelievable someone would choose to miss So Long Marianne Anne!!
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Really nice review of the 4 nights, enjoyed reading it. Someone mentioned looking forward to an Old Ideas tour live album...is that just hoping/educated guessing or do we know for sure it's in the pipeline?
Hydrogal

Post by Hydrogal »

musicmania wrote:
minnie wrote: That's part of it but I think, more importantly, "So Long, Marianne" speaks to that part of human nature which the Irish psyche is deeply in touch with; an awareness of the bitter sweet and sometimes horrendous loss that's intrinsically enmeshed with love/life and anything that moves the heart. Accepting that brings an ability to give space to hope, nostalgia and humour without polarising the spectrum of experience.

Maybe it could be petitioned as our new National Anthem ...
Yes, beautifully said. This is THE song that captured my heart - and I am not a youngster! I listened to it over and over and it seemed to bring a sort of peace to my soul. I've wondered many times since then--"Why Marianne?" I was suffering a great loss myself at the time. Now I believe I have the answer. Thanks for that!

Barbara
Barbara
we are so lightly here
it is in love that we are born--in love we disappear

Verona 2012, Paris 2012, Detroit 2012, Boston 2012, Miami 2013, New Orleans 2013
jono1

Post by jono1 »

http://youtu.be/c5YUwU2zZk8

So Long Marianne form 11/9/12

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fe_vf-bx ... el&list=UL

Alexandra Leaving from 12/9/12

Who shall I say is calling 11/9/12
http://youtu.be/RuB0oEi-b1U
Last edited by jono1 on Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
merri

Post by merri »

Both last nights were certainly worth going all the way from Moscow!
On Friday I was a bit surprised with audience reaction for 'I'm your man'. And the waltz between the rows is a thing to remember.
'Anyhow' became so more notable for me with new lyrics and 'anyhow' back vocals at the end.

Didn't expect to sit by 'talkies' at the 5th row on Saturday, if they didn't like the songs, why come to the open-air concert when it's cold and windy :roll:

Other than that the people who sat around were long-time fans, moreover, many people I talked to in Dublin liked Leonard Cohen and would like to attend the concerts if tickets were more affordable.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by sturgess66 »

MaryRachel wrote:from the 11th

Going Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHswr-e9X2w

I Can't Forget
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unPk7-Tu7_c

Heart With No Companion (for some reason my camera decided to go blurry during this one, sound is ok though)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vlJPNtXgv94
Thanks Mary Rachel!

And does anyone know what it is that Leonard can't forget - starting at @1:35 ??
Whatever he is saying - Neil and Roscoe seem to be enjoying it :lol:
About all I can hear is "circumstances"
IMM

Post by IMM »

sturgess66 wrote:
And does anyone know what it is that Leonard can't forget - starting at @1:35 ??
Invictus - I think.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

sandraa wrote: It was also great to wait and see Leonard leaving last night and we were well rewarded with waves etc .
Not sure what the etc. means, sandraa - in case anyone reading this thinks they missed something, the car drew up right in front of the door and Leonard was just able to give a quick wave and a smile before Joey and the others got him into the car. Of course they have to "mind" him, but since it was the final night a brief photo op. without the car blocking our view would have been so welcome, to get a photo of Leonard Leaving!
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

IMM wrote:
sturgess66 wrote:
Invictus - I think.
Thanks! Now I can hear/match at least the first verse - and he probably sang the first two verses -
Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.
Does anyone who was at the show on the 14th know what he did in this section?

I notice from the set list provided by IrishMar that he recited The Flood on the 15th - before Anthem.
http://bit.ly/S0MHNF
Goldin

Post by Goldin »

These lines were recited previously in Amsterdam (viewtopic.php?f=61&t=32575&start=45#p312185), somewhere else?..

Update: I Can't Forget w/ Invictus (some recordings of the song are still unavailable):
1) Amsterdam 21st
2) London 9th
3) Dublin 11th
Gordana

Post by Gordana »

Out Of The Night Than Covers Me by William Ernest Henley

Out of the night that covers me,
Black as the pit from pole to pole,
I thank whatever gods may be
For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
I have not winced nor cried aloud.
Under the bludgeonings of chance
My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
Looms but the Horror of the shade,
And yet the menace of the years
Finds, and shall find, me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.
Beograd 2009
burningviolin

Post by burningviolin »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmCOcd ... 1347988872

My video from the back of Who By Fire, shows all the people (including me eh hem) walking around. I now realise how rubbish my camera is, it's about 4 years old, other than this I left the recordings up to the professionals like IrishAl and Somewhat nifty.:-)
2009 Liverpool 14/07/09, Dublin 20/07/09, Belfast 26/07/09, Lisbon 30/7/09, Barcelona 21/09/09.
2010 Sligo (x2), Lille 25/09/10 Las Vegas 11/12/2010
2012 Wembley 8/9/12, RHK 11/9/12
O2 London 2013 O2 Dublin 2013
"I've been where you're hanging, I think I can see how you're pinned."
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

burningviolin wrote:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pRmCOcd ... 1347988872

My video from the back of Who By Fire, shows all the people (including me eh hem) walking around. I now realise how rubbish my camera is, it's about 4 years old, other than this I left the recordings up to the professionals like IrishAl and Somewhat nifty.:-)
My goodness - really conveys very clearly the distracting (to say the least ) behaviour of some of the audience ! :(
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”