CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
doepus

CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin September 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by doepus »

Thank you Leonard for a wonderful concert.
Attachments
IMG_4719.jpg
IMG_4714.jpg
IMG_4712.jpg
I choose the rooms that I live in with care.
The windows are small and the walls almost bare.
sandraa

Re: DUBLIN 2012

Post by sandraa »

Loving the quote in the Irish Times this morning from Ronan Mc Greevy"FOR MANY of his fans, Leonard Cohen’s first concert at the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham four years ago was akin to an Old Testament prophet coming among us to make the songs flesh"
There's a positive although short review. The only worrying comment is that so many got the time wrong

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ire ... 11855.html
The Irish Times - Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Ain't no cure for Cohen: No diminishing returns on reappearance

RONAN McGREEVY

FOR MANY of his fans, Leonard Cohen’s first concert at the Royal Hospital in Kilmainham four years ago was akin to an Old Testament prophet coming among us to make the songs flesh.

It was his first concert in Ireland for more than 20 years and the first outside his native Canada since his self-imposed exile in a Buddhist monastery.

The memories of that show on a beautiful early summer’s evening in June 2008 have become tinged with magic. Those who were there will invariably tell you it was their favourite concert.

Few of them believed he would be back the following year, or indeed the year after that, for an equally memorable series of concerts at Lissadell House in Co Sligo in 2010.

Last night, after a two-year break from Ireland, he returned to the Royal Hospital for the first of four concerts this week in Dublin.

“Thank you for sitting in the cold and damp to listen to my melancholy dirges,” he told the audience. It wasn’t quite that bad – it was dry for starters – but there was a distinct autumnal chill in the air.

His frequent trips over here have not resulted in diminishing returns. There are only production tickets left for the rest of the run, and each night has a capacity of 10,000.

This time round he also has a new album to promote. The record, entitled Old Ideas, is a nod to his advancing age – he’s 78 in 10 days’ time.

On the opening track, Going Home, he describes himself as a “lazy bastard living in a suit”, and muses frankly in the song The Darkness that “I’ve got no future, I know my days are few”. Both songs got an outing last night.

He introduces his band as if they are the cast of a well-loved play the audience has seen many times before.

His days may be short but his set is not. Once again it clocked in at more than three hours, beginning with Dance Me To the End of Love.

Many fans were caught out by the early start of 7.15pm and were still filing in when he began his song marathon.

Those attending tonight and on Friday and Saturday nights are advised to come early.

One who is scheduled to be there tonight is President Michael D Higgins, perhaps his most high-profile Irish fan.
Mikeaus

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Dublin Sept 11, 12, 14 & 15, 2012

Post by Mikeaus »

Today's review by Ken Sweeney at The Irish Independent

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment ... 27301.html

Oh, I wish I could have been there for that magical night.
Hallelujah, the famous blue crooner performs his magic
By Ken Sweeney
Wednesday September 12 2012

HE is the oldest crooner in town. But at 77, Leonard Cohen drew fans young and old to the Royal Hospital Kilmainham, Dublin last night for the first of four concerts.

They came for a truly magical concert experience and weren't disappointed by the legendary performer whose set was sublime.

His 12th studio album 'Old Ideas', released in January, is as accomplished as anything in his back catalogue.

However, unlike Madonna's recent show at the Aviva Stadium, he didn't deprive fans of the songs they have grown up with.

Dressed in his trademark dark suit and hat, he arrived on stage at 7.15pm opening with 'Dance Me To The End Of Love'.

"Thank you for sitting in the cold and damp to hear my melancholic dirges. I really appreciate it," he told the sell-out crowd of 10,000.

What came back from the audience was nothing short of adoration. It was a concert in Kilmainham in 2008 which Cohen credits with restoring his faith in his ability as a live performer.

"I was there that night in 2008 and tonight has been the same. Going to a Leonard Cohen concert is akin to a communal religious experience you share with all these people who have grown up with his songs. On stage he communicates a magic so he doesn't have to say very much," said Jim Lockhart of Horslips, who came with his daughter Ciara.

Glen Hansard and Louis Walsh were also among those in attendance.

Having influenced everything from grunge to the 'X Factor', the handsome storyteller is still in business. And over 90 minutes later he shows why, delivering a set in which you could hear every syllable.

The audience remained enthralled till the end of the show when the elder statesman encored with 'First We Take Manhattan'.

Last night Leonard well and truly took Dublin

- Ken Sweeney

Irish Independent
Sydney & Bowral 2009. Lissadell Sligo July 2010 (what a night!). Sydney & Hanging Rock November 2010. Bimbadgen Winery, Hunter Valley, Nov 2013. Sydney Opera House, Dec 2013.
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

A great evening and a truly memorable performance. Mr Cohen and band in top form producing a fresh, polished and aparantly effortless performance that can only be the result of huge effort and very hard work.  Comparisons with the previous tour are pointless but it was at least as good if not better. Highlights included:

Sharon's performance of Alexandra Leaving. Her voice has changed, more mellow and more melancholy. There were tears on more than a few faces and there was almost total silence throughout. A magical moment. 

Alex on violin. Added so much to so many of the songs. Not for now but Dino's departure suddenly makes sense.

The camera work for the side monitors - exceptional.

The Webb sisters. Get better and better. Sounding more like Kate and Anna McGarrigle. 

Mitch on guitar. I always enjoyed Bob's playing, and this wasn't better, just different. His style works exceptionally well in conjunction with Alex's violin to produce a very different sound and atmosphere. 

The audience. Enthusiastic throughout, really came to the fore once the encores started, standing, smiling, singing and swaying from side to side. 

LC smiling, and he did a lot of it. 

The rest of the band, all so accomplished and whom we now almost take for granted when we really shouldn't. And Mike the mystery harmonica player's cameo appearance during The Darkness. 

The sun going down and the atmosphere it created. 

I am really looking forward to seeing this performed indoors. While the organisation was good, seating was good, the flooring/ground protection was good, the audience were great and the weather was mercifully dry throughout, it was very cold. Really very cold, especially when the wind was up. And a word to those who are attending on the remaining nights; scarves, gloves, warm woolly hats and heavy warm clothes were the order of the evening. Glamour took a very definite second place !

Now all that remains is for Albert to post his videos. Especially Alexandra Leaving. (I'm not even contemplating the possibility that Albert wasn't there !)
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
reubensmum

Post by reubensmum »

Thank you so much for this report. We're flying off to dublin for Friday's concert and were wondering what clothes to take. The weather forecast is looking ok, but the woolly jumpers are now packed!
CAN'T WAIT :)
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

reubensmum wrote:The weather forecast is looking ok, but the woolly jumpers are now packed!
CAN'T WAIT :)
It's supposed to be getting warmer - but I'd bring thermal underwear too! I was wearing a T-shirt, a woolly jumper, thick fleece and a mountain coat last night and I was frozen through to the core.

FanForLife - a wonderful summary of the LC experience last night. Thanks. And Albert was definitely there though I don't know where he was sitting.

Wendy
jdhayes

Post by jdhayes »

Just back home from Dublin. I can only guarantee you that you are in for a treat if you are going to any of the other concerts. The music is improving all the time, especially with the addition of the violin nad Mitch's guitar playing. The only negative was the curfew which meant that we were done out of a couple of songs, but who cares. He gave it his all and seems to be enjoying himself more and more. Roll on Friday night and maybe I will persuade myself to make it again on Saturday. Thanks Leonard and band!
2xDublin 2008, 2xDublin 2009, Berlin, Beacon Theatre 2009, Cardiff, Birmingham, 2xSligo 2010, 3 x Dublin 2012
"You held on to me like I was a crucifix, as we went kneeling through the dark"
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

The weather was freezing cold but not the atmosphere :) Magical evening. I have not much to add to the previous report, just one moment: Many people tried to dance a waltz when Take this Waltz started. The security guys were there soon and stopped them. Most of these people went back to their seats but some of them took the security guys handsinstead and took them for a waltz :D There was quite a laugh, not just from the audience but from the stage as well.

I posted some photos of the soundcheck and the show on my FB but for those not Facebookers I have a picasa link as usual :)

Soundcheck:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1171454776 ... directlink
Tuesday show (I had a far side seat so don't expect too much :))
https://picasaweb.google.com/1171454776 ... directlink

Eva
Gregor

Post by Gregor »

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/ha ... 07287.html
Hallelujah: Cohen comes home
By Marc O’Sullivan, Arts Editor
Wednesday, September 12, 2012
Last night was something of a homecoming for Leonard Cohen.
He has spoken often of how moved he was by the reception he received when he first played the Royal Hospital, Kilmainham, in 2008. That show marked the start of a remarkable comeback: Cohen has toured almost constantly since.

Cohen took the stage, as scheduled, at 7.15pm. He fell to one knee, as if in prayer, as he led off with Dance Me to the End of the Love. He followed that with The Future, one of his bleakest songs. "When they said repent, repent, repent, I wondered what they meant," he sang, swaying gently in the chill September air.

"Thanks so much, friends. Thank you for sitting in the cold and damp to hear my melancholy songs," he said, in one of those brief monologues so beloved of his audiences. He remarked on how, when he plays Dublin, he is allowed to drink inside ("I am rarely asked to leave the pub"), to sleep inside ("sadly, I am rarely woken from my slumbers anymore"), but is always asked to sing outside.

"Do you compel your Irish singers to perform outside as well?" he asked mischievously. "Is that why the Irish voice is so strong and sweet?"

Over the next hour or so, he sang many of his classics, among them Bird on the Wire and Who By Fire?.

"It’s such a privilege to be here, when so much of the world is plunged into darkness and despair," Cohen said, by way of introducing Ring the Bells, with its refrain: "There is a crack in everything, that’s how the light gets in."

Cohen introduced his band — among them his songwriting partner, "the incomparable Sharon Robinson" and his other backing singers, Patti and Charlie, "the sublime Webb sisters" – before retiring for a short break before 9pm.

Cohen returned wrapped in a scarf. "Thank you, friends. Thank you for not leaving," he said, before launching into Tower of Song. He played a simple but effective solo on the keyboard, and the crowd cheered. "You ain’t heard nothing yet," he quipped.

Cohen accompanied himself on guitar on Suzanne, and played jew’s harp on a positively jaunty Democracy. This was followed by the mighty Hallelujah, So Long Marianne and Closing Time. Cohen’s set extended to over three hours, and confirmed that he is, at a sprightly 77, about the best live act on the planet.
There is a crack in every thing thats how the light gets in
majmunka

Post by majmunka »

Do someone remember the exact wording of Leonard's reply for a cried "I love you"? it was something like: "Thanks, friend, I'm very/quite fond of you too/myself" or something along this line.

Thanks, Eva
(No, it was not me, I'm sure of that :D)
amcgee

Post by amcgee »

Hi

glad to read some of the reports. Could someone tell me what time roughly it finished at? is it 11 or 10:45?

looking forward to fridays concert now!
amcgee :D
FanForLife

Post by FanForLife »

amcgee wrote:Could someone tell me what time roughly it finished at? is it 11 or 10:45?
He left the stage finally at 11.00 on the dot. Allow 15 mins to exit the venue.

reubensmum wrote:We're flying off to dublin for Friday's concert and were wondering what clothes to take. The weather forecast is looking ok, but the woolly jumpers are now packed!

Suggest you also pack and wear your comfortable walking boots. The thick socks will keep your feet warm, and while the hard plastic ground cover under the seating works very well, if it rains the ground in canteen and latrine areas (and the grass walkways) will quickly become a mud bath.

Enjoy !
2008 - dublin (kilmainham - the best, ever)
2009 - dublin (The Point) and tampa and NY(MSG) and san jose
2010 - sligo (second best) and oakland and portland and las vegas
2011 - lenny and me were resting, so we were
2012 - dublin (kilmainham again) and austin
2013 - dublin (The Point, 2 times)
2014 & 2015-enjoying the memories and saving the pennies; just in case; just in case..............
Greg Ross

Post by Greg Ross »

Salutations fellow Cohenites

Herewith a link to some photos of the first Dublin Concert (we were a long way back, so I'm sure others will have better photos.
And my thoughts on the concert posted belwo the link.
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... ace13b87f5

Well, the Dublin Concert.
Paula gave us explicit instructions on how to find the Brazen Head pub (Ireland’s oldest – 1198AD?? – wow! ... for the pre-concert Forum meet-up and we got there, after detouring via Oscar Wilde’s home (and memorial). I’m not a Pub person, nor a beer drinker, but must admit to being impressed at the history and atmosphere of the place. Cohenites gradually took over and it was really fantastic to finally meet so many people, all of whom have been so graciously welcoming. Then it was time to stroll along the canal to the Royal Hospital Grounds. At one stage, as we walked, the sky darkened and drops of rain fell around us. Whoops! We thought. In fact, as we walked into the stage / seating area, there was a rainbow, perhaps fortuitously, directly above the stage, but thankfully the rain held off, the black clouds rolled away and at one stage a couple of stars were visible … apart from Lenny and the band!

Forum people were everywhere and as we went to sit down, Tony ran up to say hello, great to see him. Our seats were a long way back this time, but we didn’t really mind, as we’d been in Row 3 at the Berlin Concert and I wanted to see how the new compact Lumix camera would cope.

Ladies and gentlemen, the concert will start in five minutes.

And sure enough out came our heroes. Both Ann and I thought the band and Leonard sounded hesitant - perhaps not the right word - maybe 'not tight' if that makes sense?during the first 30 – 40 minutes, in fact, the sound from the girls, seemed reedy, I even wondered for a moment if Sharon’s mike was working. Leonard also seemed distracted, but gradually things fell into place. However and please, I don’t mean to offend anyone, the audience in general was a bloody nightmare. People would sit down for ten minutes then get up and walk off, then come back half an hour later, loaded with beers, only to get up and get more 20 minutes later. It was like a fucking revolving door and totally distracting. Everywhere you looked (or tried to look), people were getting up, talking and moving around, there would not have been one minute in the first hour and a half, when people weren’t walking past your line of vision. I have to admit, I hated it and vowed never to attend a concert in Ireland again. At one stage, when three people, very politely, I must add, walked past me, I asked them where they were going, To get beer! Was the puzzled reply. Again, everybody here has been so lovely and welcoming, but bloody hell, Dublin would appear to have a drinking problem. E120 a ticket and beer takes precedence?

Which segues into the weather … it didn’t rain, but dear God it got COLD: Bone-aching cold. Our fault, we just weren’t prepared and during the second half, we were beyond comfort, just feeling almost ill with the cold. Now I’m 61 and my legs and bones were aching, what really concerns and disturbs me, is having a 78 year old out on stage in those conditions. As much as I want to see Leonard perform, I simply don’t think it was right. By concert’s end, his nose was running and you could feel the cold had sapped him, athough he and the band gave us everything, including comments about the weather.

Heading towards closing-time, Ann said we should head up front. We did and found ourselves right-up front leaning against the railing, with a fabulous view of Lenny and the band for the final half an hour. It was a wonderful show, they didn’t finish with Save The Last Dance For Me, Closing Time was the final number. Personally was glad, I wanted Lenny and the band back in the warm somewhere.

Thankfully, our gorgeous hostess Paula and her equally beautiful young daughter found us and drove us home to hot chocolate and Jamieson’s Whiskey, where I quickly posted photos, as Paula was on the phone to Don in Canada and he asked when he could see the pics.

As Leonard would say … Thank you so much friends, we know we’re seeing some of you this afternoon back at the Brazen Head, but then we’re gone in the early morn, across to Duesseldorf and an indoor concert (Van Morrison).
All Good Things
Greg (and Ann)
All Good Things
Greg

http://www.gregross.com.au/
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Small thing but wasnt it "Thank you for sitting in the cold and damp to Listen to my melancholy ditties"( as opposed to "dirges" or "songs")......anywho,concert no.4 for me,he never disappoints,delighted with the new set/arrangements,he seems more relaxed than ever,deciding on what songs to play at certain points as he went along which i wouldnt have expected from him(being the ol perfectionist he is)

Bad stuff about the gig.....the cold,we really shouldnt have any outdoor gigs in Ireland and certainly not in September,the venue itself was fine....it just needed a roof! i was freezing at one point,as has been mentioned now,dress for winter for this!

Good stuff.....everything else really,"Night Comes On" was a big highlight for me,always loved that one,my heart skippied a beat when he sang the opening lines,beautiful stuff,i avoided setlists to save some surprises(well i ok i had a quick peek but just to make sure "The Partisan" and "Famous.." were still there)so that was a great moment,the spontaneous waltzing in the aisles for "Take This Waltz",seeing the security getting involved was great,theyre not always the friendliest so this was a lovely touch,for me the first half is always great....but its the second half thats always just sublime,ill never tire of hearing "The Partisan" and "Famous Blue Raincoat",the atmosphere for the end of his gigs is always second to none too,just an amazing celebration of a great singing poet,its magic

And as always Leonards charm shines though,humble and witty and gracious as ever....ive always said,any young band out there starting out should be made go see him to learn their trade and see how you hold an audience and give them an amazing experience every time

Very jealous of everyone who has yet to see him this week,your gonna have a great time!......just remember to wrap up!
table top joe

Post by table top joe »

Greg Ross wrote:. However and please, I don’t mean to offend anyone, the audience in general was a bloody nightmare. People would sit down for ten minutes then get up and walk off, then come back half an hour later, loaded with beers, only to get up and get more 20 minutes later. It was like a fucking revolving door and totally distracting. Everywhere you looked (or tried to look), people were getting up, talking and moving around, there would not have been one minute in the first hour and a half, when people weren’t walking past your line of vision. I have to admit, I hated it and vowed never to attend a concert in Ireland again. At one stage, when three people, very politely, I must add, walked past me, I asked them where they were going, To get beer! Was the puzzled reply. Again, everybody here has been so lovely and welcoming, but bloody hell, Dublin would appear to have a drinking problem. E120 a ticket and beer takes precedence?

This is very common at gigs here unfortunately,i did have to get up at one point myself though(couldnt hold it in anymore)and had to walk past the section between the first and second blocks(A and B i presume,the section just by the sound/lighting guy)to get to the toilets......sweet Jesus my heart went out to people there,it was like being in a train station or something,i felt really bad about walking past them i must say,they must have had a constant stream of people going past them all night and its quite loud too walking on the cover they put over the grass,i would have been fuming if i was sat there to be honest

I had some people talking around me too but not as bad as the other times ive seen him,two elderly ladies did decide to strike up a chat during "Suzanne" though for some reason,as if they were at home watching the telly or something,was quite odd as they had been quieter than a mouse all night!

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”