CONCERT REPORTS: London, September 8 & 9

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Vicomte

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: London, September 8 & 9

Post by Vicomte »

Were you there Saturday or Sunday? We were in the second row and central on Sunday and heard everything OK, wonder why you had a problem with hearing, perhaps others did as well?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
TommyJ

Post by TommyJ »

I went both nights and thought the sounds was much better on Sunday, for what that is worth. Still couldn't hear Charley's clarinet though.

Tom
London o2 July 2008 and Nov 2008, NYC (Radio City Music Hall) May 2009, Weybridge July 2009, Lille Sept 2010, Las Vegas Dec 2010, Wembley 8 and 9 Sept 2012, Dublin Sept 2012, Paris Sept 2012, London 02 June 2013, Leeds Sept 2013, London o2 Sept 2013 ... and hopefully more to come.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

TommyJ wrote:I went both nights and thought the sounds was much better on Sunday, for what that is worth. Still couldn't hear Charley's clarinet though.

Tom
No, they really need to fix that!
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

I agree, couldn't make out the sound of Charley playing the clarinet, either the mic wasn't on, or the mix wasn't done right?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

I was there on Sunday... Why no harp this time?
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

There was, Hattie played it on Come Healing with Roscoe on double bass and Charley on guitar and I believe Hattie played the harp on another song but certainly Hattie played her Harp on the night.
Last edited by Vicomte on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neil from The Young Ones
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

She played it on Who By Fire as usual as well...
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

lousylittlepoet wrote:Hello, long time reader, first time poster. I went to Leonard's superb show at Wembley on the Saturday and have reviewed it for the blog of a friend of mine. If you're interested in reading it, you can do so here:
http://littlefuryblog.wordpress.com/201 ... st-review/
If you take issue with any of it then feel free to tell me and I can amend, thank you :)
Hi there - very nice report, and glad you've joined the board.

There have been so many great accounts of the Wembley concerts on this thread, and they've made me feel a lot better about the whole Hop Farm thing. Although I decided to wait until next year's UK dates come on stream before venturing again, it's good to know the concerts are doing as much as ever to make people feel good 'n' lovely. I'm really looking forward to 2013 now.
Manchester Opera House 2008 - Edinburgh Castle 2008 - Albert Hall 2008 - Manchester MEN 2008 - Liverpool Echo Arena 2009 - Florence 2010 - Manchester Arena 2013
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

Jeremy wrote:
lousylittlepoet wrote:Hello, long time reader, first time poster. I went to Leonard's superb show at Wembley on the Saturday and have reviewed it for the blog of a friend of mine. If you're interested in reading it, you can do so here:
http://littlefuryblog.wordpress.com/201 ... st-review/
If you take issue with any of it then feel free to tell me and I can amend, thank you :)
Hi there - very nice report, and glad you've joined the board.

There have been so many great accounts of the Wembley concerts on this thread, and they've made me feel a lot better about the whole Hop Farm thing. Although I decided to wait until next year's UK dates come on stream before venturing again, it's good to know the concerts are doing as much as ever to make people feel good 'n' lovely. I'm really looking forward to 2013 now.

hello jeremy, what makes you so certain there will be more UK shows in 2013?
Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Hi songwriter - I'll be disappointed if there aren't dates to come next year.

When the dates for the Europe 2012 tour were emerging there was a lot of anguish from the UK contingent here, but it was Rob Hallett who said in a rare posting on this board that the Hop Farm (later Wembley) gigs would be the only UK concerts in 2012 - which many took as a clear indication that Mr C would tour more extensively in the UK in 2013. I'm trusting in that, and also encouraged in my belief by the sheer success of Leonard's many tours in the UK from 2008 onwards.

I don't believe in competing against other fans in other countries - everyone counts as a friend in my book - but I suspect more tickets were sold for LC dates in the UK from 2008 than in most other countries. The British fan base is large, and keeps on coming back for more....

All the best,

J
Manchester Opera House 2008 - Edinburgh Castle 2008 - Albert Hall 2008 - Manchester MEN 2008 - Liverpool Echo Arena 2009 - Florence 2010 - Manchester Arena 2013
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze »

somewhat_nifty wrote:She played it on Who By Fire as usual as well...

I have ben thinking, why did I not see that blessed harp?. Then I twigged, I was right behind that man filming with that camera. I was grateful it did not block my first class view of Leonard but I sure could not see that harp.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
songwriter

Post by songwriter »

Jeremy wrote:Hi songwriter - I'll be disappointed if there aren't dates to come next year.

When the dates for the Europe 2012 tour were emerging there was a lot of anguish from the UK contingent here, but it was Rob Hallett who said in a rare posting on this board that the Hop Farm (later Wembley) gigs would be the only UK concerts in 2012 - which many took as a clear indication that Mr C would tour more extensively in the UK in 2013. I'm trusting in that, and also encouraged in my belief by the sheer success of Leonard's many tours in the UK from 2008 onwards.

I don't believe in competing against other fans in other countries - everyone counts as a friend in my book - but I suspect more tickets were sold for LC dates in the UK from 2008 than in most other countries. The British fan base is large, and keeps on coming back for more....

All the best,

J

thank you for the detailed reply. I prepared myself that the 8th September would likely be the last time I ever saw Leonard live. Now you have given me great hope that this is not the case, and for this I thank you!
Christopher B

Post by Christopher B »

What great reviews without exception and thanks jules2view for the excellent videos. Leonards smile when the audience takes over the Marianne chorus is unforgettable.
catswhiskers

Post by catswhiskers »

I would be more than disappointed if there weren´t any UK dates come next year--I would be utterly heartbroken.
I have been reading all your reviews and it sounds amazing--just wish I could have been there.
I couldn´t make up my mind--but once changed to Wembley,I was still in two minds,but finally decided to hell with it--I´m going.Got ticket and was looking forward to Sunday.
I never went.My 18 year old much loved pussy cat was put to sleep that morning.Totally heartbroken and crying too much to make the journey.However all your wonderful comments have put a smile on my face,and warmed my heart.
So,roll on 2013,and many UK dates.I wonder when "the next leg of the tour"is likely to be announced...as I don´t want to miss out!!!!
Chris
santaevita

Post by santaevita »

Hullo, all - I'm the writer of that review a couple of pages back on The Substantive website.

Do you really think there'll be more UK tour dates next year? It'd be so wonderful. I only recently fell in love with Leonard's music properly, and I was feeling very sad to think that I might only have the chance to see him once. To see him next year too would be amazing.

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”