CONCERT REPORT: Mönchengladbach, Germany - Sept 6, 2012

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
jwbakker

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Sept 6 MÖNCHENGLADBACH, Germany

Post by jwbakker »

TWO LANGUAGES (not German)

IN ENGLISH

Very cold after the break ........ but yes, it was a great concert, and in fine voice (despite the cold) and the quality was more than CD-pure!

Unfortunately, the local organization was substandard. That there were still people searching for their places in the fourth song! (or was it the fifth song?) of the concert.
Traffic jams? Nonsense, departure on time from home. An hour before there spot is not so hard!
After the break the same problem, finding places while the concert is already on his way (third or fourth number).

No, there was something else going on. Part of the audience (which had the best seats in front) was through business trips, VIP tent etc. present and disturbed the concert hopeless. Constant bustle and turmoil.
Close the bar during the concert! (then no one can drink and beer ...during the concert) And everyone enjoys the music.
Very unfortunate.

A sincere fan
-------------------------------------------------------
IN HET NEDERLANDS

Erg koud na de pauze........maar ja, het een prima concert, en prima bij stem (ondanks de kou) en de kwaliteit was meer dan cd-zuiver!!

Helaas de organisatie ter plaatse was ondermaats. Dat er nog in het vierde nummer!! (of was het het vijfde) van het concert mensen plaatsen aan zoeken waren.
Files onderweg? Onzin, vertrek op tijd van huis. Een uur van te voren daar ter plaatse zijn is toch niet zo moeilijk!
Na de pauze hetzelfde probleem, nog plaatsen zoeken terwijl het concert al lang bezig is (derde of vierde nummer).

Neen, er was iets anders aan de hand een deel van het publiek (en die hadden de beste plaatsen vooraan) was via bedrijfsuitjes, Vip-tent etc. aanwezig en verstoorde het concert hopeloos. Voortdurend geloop en onrust.
Sluit de bar tijdens het concert!! (dan gaat niemand drank en bier halen....). En dan geniet iedereen van de muziek.
Zeer jammer.

Een oprechte fan
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by Bruucefan - Thanks!

I'm Your Man & Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-5-m6GgrjIo

Suzanne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk2hckXnn48
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Video uploaded by BlueAndWhiteZebra - Thanks!

Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0qJr_l1tLg
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

It's not up close and personal - but - sound is okay -

Uploaded by Leoootjuhh - Thanks!

So Long Marianne
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWr7W5NM0Lc

Don't Forget Who's Taking You Home (includes Leonard's closing remarks)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UMVj-tSMN70
Franks

Post by Franks »

jwbakker wrote:
Unfortunately, the local organization was substandard. That there were still people searching for their places in the fourth song! (or was it the fifth song?) of the concert.
Traffic jams? Nonsense, departure on time from home. An hour before there spot is not so hard!
After the break the same problem, finding places while the concert is already on his way (third or fourth number).

No, there was something else going on. Part of the audience (which had the best seats in front) was through business trips, VIP tent etc. present and disturbed the concert hopeless. Constant bustle and turmoil.
Close the bar during the concert! (then no one can drink and beer ...during the concert) And everyone enjoys the music.
Very unfortunate.
Couldn't agree more. Part of this audience was just plain rude and had no respect for LC, the band and the rest of the audience. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also a reason why there was only one encore.
Last edited by Franks on Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Frank.
Henning

Post by Henning »

Franks wrote:
Couldn't argree more. Part of this audience was just plain rude and had no respect for LC, the band and the rest of the audience. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also a reason why there was only one encore.
There were 3 encoures: So long Marianne, First we take Manhatten and Save the last dance. Doublecheck reverse: Save the last dance, First we take Manhatten, So long Marianne - still 3 encoures.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2009: Cologne - Barcelona | 2010: Wiesbaden - Dortmund
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
Franks

Post by Franks »

Henning wrote:
Franks wrote:
Couldn't argree more. Part of this audience was just plain rude and had no respect for LC, the band and the rest of the audience. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also a reason why there was only one encore.
There were 3 encoures: So long Marianne, First we take Manhatten and Save the last dance. Doublecheck reverse: Save the last dance, First we take Manhatten, So long Marianne - still 3 encoures.
No, that is just 1 encore that consists of 3 songs, not 3 encores. At previous concerts in this tour (like in Gent) LC played 3 encores with 2 or 3 songs each.
Encore means the band goes off the stage and then comes back again to play some more.
Frank.
Henning

Post by Henning »

To avoid getting deeper into definition of encores, the reason for only one or three encores was the curfew and curfews are always a curse.
IT'S DARKER NOW
1979: Frankfurt | 1980: Frankfurt | 1985: Wiesbaden - Munich | 1988: Munich - Nuremberg | 1993: Frankfurt
2008: Dublin - Manchester - Amsterdam - Loerrach - Berlin - Frankfurt - Oberhausen - London
2012: Ghent - Moenchengladbach - Verona - Lisbon | 2013: Oberhausen - Mannheim - Pula
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Franks wrote:I am sure the real fans got frustrated by arriving late due to traffic and parking problems but a big part of the audience did not seem to mind. First priority seemed to be getting ‘bier und wurst’. Not just when they arrived late but also all through the entire show. I don’t think 5 minutes went by without someone carrying beer and fastfood blocking my view. Not to mention the 4 morons sitting in front of me spending almost the entire show drinking beer and talking loud. Perhaps some of the people got confused and thought they were at the football stadium next door.
I also went to Gent and found that to be a much more civilized audience.
Sorry to ventilate my frustration in this forum but if this is typical for a concert at Warsteiner Hockeypark Mönchengladbach then this was my first and last concert at this venue.
This kind of behaviour is unfortunately spreading on Cohen's concerts as well... Methinks it's the effect of open air venues - when the concert is held in closed venue, concert hall or even arena, people have an impression they're at the concert place, not at the stadium or open air event, so they don't grab wurst and sausages and pop corn (!?).

Btw, Henning, I think Frank is right - in Europe we count encores by the number of returns to stage (we call it "bis"), and in English they call each song after return as encore. So by the European tradition, it was one encore (bis) with three songs... In English they'd call it three encores 8) So just one encore in MG - or three... depending are you English native speaker or not.
Henning

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Mönchengladbach, September 6

Post by Henning »

Well here's another effort to leave the definition or tradition of encore numbers, that I myself probably have started, though for me that's history already BUT I'd rather like to focus on the curfew rule, that I thought is a curse but probably not for the nurse who is eagerly waiting for Leonard to return to his room to give him the final orders before sleep. It's all so complicated nowadays.
IT'S DARKER NOW
pittermann

Post by pittermann »

missjackie

Post by missjackie »

I have been to Ghent twice and I must say it was so great, so beautiful! Thats why the concert in Monchengladbach was disappointing me. :(
Not L.C. and band but the audicience and the curfew at 11.00 hour. The audicience showed no respect at all, it was indeed a shame that people searching for their seats when Leonard was on stage for half an hour!!!!!!! And the whole concert talking out loud. :cry: It was my first and last concert at the Hockeypark. I think people who saw the show in Gent agree this.

But I hope I can see him again sometimes.

Jackie
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

A nice video uploaded by asimon65 - Thanks!

Coming Back To You
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a4RP05zUVQ
Franks

Post by Franks »

I have uploaded some photos I took from this concert.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1167032989 ... yMmGlsfYFw

Enjoy,
Frank.
Harriet175

Post by Harriet175 »

Mönchengladbach…i understand the organiser had asked for the concert to start a bit later? Slightly unfortunate for the audience, if there is also a curfew – it may sometimes be a curse to live in such an (over) regulated world. Did they have curfews in Woodstock?

As much as i love Janis Joplin’s Road Block, i was unhappy about the one happening before the concert. It was NOT a traffic jam, it was a proper Road Block. The Autobahn was fully closed due to a truck accident, sadly. The many people came late due to something out of their control. There was no escape, cars before you and behind you. I chatted up a few people sitting in other cars (when you’ve fallen on the highway...) and some of them were also on the way to the concert. I was told that there are usually never traffic jams on this road – which didn't help. There was nothing one could do about the accident...which delayed me and others for more than 2 hrs.

Leaving Ffm. at 15.20 my navigation system said i would arrive at 17:57 at the venue, which was true until about 30 km before the venue when this accident happened – it took a long time of stop and go, until the cars behind me could turn back into the direction we came from. While sitting in the car watching the clock, I was listening to the 1st cd of “live in London” - at 19:30 the song 13 finished and the music started again with “Dance me to the end of love” – which cheered me up. And i was still tired, having just traveled in the morning all the way from the Berlin concert. Finally, I arrived at about 20:15 at the venue – after driving the car for 5 hrs (instead of 2 ½).

Silently and absolutely respectfully towards the audience and the musicians on stage, i walked to my place close to the stage, and i was beaming with joy to hear the UHTC. Slightly late, but i was extremely happy to see all those familar faces.

Henning, it would have been nice to say hi to you!

The priority of food in a Leonard Cohen concert...it could be that some people just came for the sausages, or the beer. Some lack of organisation, in the break there was no way, no time possibility to reach the loo and be back in 20 min., queuing traffic jams in the venue, too. So a lot of people were bound to be late, again. I had a look at the T-Shirt Sales stand – s.o. wanted to buy the latest album, and he was told by the seller it is named “Good Ideas”.

The atmosphere in such a “Hockeypark” stadium can never be as bright as in historical settings such as Ghent (not to mention magical places like Lissadell), which you know when you buy the ticket. A soccer or hockey stadium is just not the most suitable and cosy location for the UHTC.

In ‘I Can’t forget’, Leonard added sth. like this “I think it was here, a guy used to play football against the town...(..) maybe it was field hockey...or i’m thinking of somebody else” – look it up. It provoked some giggles in the audience.

Leonard and the UHTC were wonderful, the Webb sisters and Sharon were fantastic. No ‘Different sides’...The Partisan, Suzanne, Night comes on... with unbelievable stage lightning and shadows. The audience was hindered by security to join the front of the stage at the beginning of the 2nd part - sadly. I think it would have improved the whole atmosphere of the concert, it would have warmed up the place somehow.

The evening was extremely cold...towards the last part of the show i was literally shivering and trembling because of the cold. When the concert ended, i was frozen. But the UHTC stood there so nice, in this blizzard of ice...playing magic songs until Save the last dance, still i think they were feeling cold, too. IMO the evening was a bit too cold for an outside concert and quite songs, also for the musicians. When i got back, the temperature showed 9 degrees. I think all the lucky people attending the London concert will be happy to be inside, where the heat of the songs may better unfold...
~Nicole
M6.jpg
Last edited by Harriet175 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...a tune in my soul
and my heart the shape of a begging bowl

2008: 25 jul Lörrach, 29 oct Frankfurt 2009: 1 jul Cologn 2010: 3 sept Wiesbaden, 19 sept Strasbourg, 29 sept Dortmund, 1 oct Stuttgart
2012: 5 sept Berlin 6 sept Mönchengladbach 29+30 sept Paris 2013: 25 jun Oberhausen, 28 jun Mannheim, 14 jul Hamburg, 24 aug Zürich

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”