Concert Reports

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
TipperaryAnn

Concert Reports

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Is there any way of separating the concert reports from all the video links? We now have to plough through acres of video stuff before finding an actual concert report!
(I'm trying not to watch the videos before attending the concert; anyway it's much more interesting to read someone's personal reaction to what they have seen and heard.)
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
Mabeanie1

Re: Concert Reports

Post by Mabeanie1 »

I have a similar sort of issue with the concert report threads. It's a particular bugbear of mine. The concert reports threads get opened, often by someone who will not be going to the concert or even someone on the other side of the world from where the concert is taking place. The threads then get filled up with Wikipedia info on the venues (widely available to anyone who can use Google) followed by re-posts from Joey's FTR blog, Tweets ("Hooray, I'm at a Leonard Cohen concert"), press articles and links to videos (which I very rarely watch - give me a good quality bootleg recording any day). We seem to be on page 8 by the time anyone who has actually been to the concert could possibly post their review and I for one have lost the will to live by then. I want to hear from people who were there but I can't be bothered to look for the eyewitness reports amid all the YouTube and other links. It's almost as if we need a separate thread for people's personal responses to the concerts.

I've raised this before but got "shouted down". It seems people like to have all the "concert related" stuff in one place so most of the time I just don't bother looking at the threads. I just go to the setlists threads to see what was played.

Wendy
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Mabeanie1 wrote: I want to hear from people who were there but I can't be bothered to look for the eyewitness reports amid all the YouTube and other links. It's almost as if we need a separate thread for people's personal responses to the concerts.
Wendy
That would be much better, Wendy. Any Mod. prepared to try it? :idea: When you do plough through all the "stuff" the actual eye /ear witness accounts are scarce enough so far this time - they could be easily accommodated on one "I was there" thread covering all the concerts.
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

In principle I understand what you mean, but in practice it is really difficult to keep the threads clean from messages that should be in other threads. The changes you're suggesting would not make things any easier!
The number of threads would be doubled if we opened separate "I was there" and "This is the venue" -type of threads. And we already have pretty many threads!
Also, the idea is to keep all these threads as they are, for the future use in the years to come, when there are no tours any more to follow. Later it will be interesting to see what kind of venues were used etc. while reading reviews of members who were there.
And many (most) concert reports are not so long, let's say 3-5 pages, so everybody is able to read only messages that are of interest.
If all "I was there" reports were put in just one thread, to cover all concerts, after 50 concerts that thread would have 50-100 pages, without any logic, because new comments are being posted also weeks after a concert.
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

I am with you all the way, Wendy. And I understand your explanation, Jarkko.
So, I suppose the only remedy available is to prevail upon the transgressors to temper their enthusiasm for posting anything and everything.

---Arlene

edit: If available youtube vids are reported, how about a brief one liner post with the youtuber's channel url.
One channel post covers current and any later uploads to the same channel.
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

Personally i like the fact that i know when i visit a concert report thread there will be such diverse content ! A comprehensive account of the concert experience available in many forms.
I think it's easy enough to skip the bits that don't interest you on any given occasion- plenty others will be interested .
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

Thank you for your detailed explanation, Jarkko. Of course you are right - the "I was there" thread would get very long eventually! (Although having one for each venue rather than for each concert might help.)

Strictly speaking, on a thread called Concert Report there should be nothing but Concert Reports! But I can see your point about the archives, too, and the difficulty of keeping a thread "intact"; a thread develops a life of its own and one comment leads to another, etc. So it isn't easy...

Later edit : Crystal's morning after report on the Berlin concert is just SO good to read - this is what it's all about.
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn »

TipperaryAnn wrote:
Strictly speaking, on a thread called Concert Report there should be nothing but Concert Reports! But I can see your point about the archives, too.
Later thoughts - would you really want all those Google translations in "pigeon English" in the archives? Painful stuff.. Most of them probably weren't great in the original language, even, being posted by hacks doing a job of work, who couldn't care less about LC, and in some cases couldn't even get the song titles correct.

The reports I enjoyed reading were those from real people who were actually there, for example Rigray on the Dublin thread who still has his stub from LC's National Stadium concert in 1976. Now THAT deserves a place in the archives - the Google atrocities don't!
sue7

Post by sue7 »

TipperaryAnn wrote:
Later thoughts - would you really want all those Google translations in "pigeon English" in the archives? Painful stuff.. Most of them probably weren't great in the original language, even, being posted by hacks doing a job of work, who couldn't care less about LC, and in some cases couldn't even get the song titles correct.

The reports I enjoyed reading were those from real people who were actually there, for example Rigray on the Dublin thread who still has his stub from LC's National Stadium concert in 1976. Now THAT deserves a place in the archives - the Google atrocities don't!
What is "painful" to some of us is interesting to others.
I know that I've said this before, but I don't see why one can't simply scroll past the stuff that isn't interesting to you. The forum is there to satisfy many different people with different tastes.

Also, the idea that the videos and the personal concert reports are necessarily from separate people, and that one could easily or helpfully separate them simply isn't accurate. There are plenty of people who post their own videos up. I know that Linda (sturgess66) and others do an amazing job of collecting videos and posting them up. For me (and for plenty of others, I suspect) these lists of video links are really helpful. Personally I have no wish to spend time in people's personal channels on Youtube: I just don't have time, and am grateful to all who take the trouble and time to do the posting on the forum.
B4real

Post by B4real »

sue7 and cohenadmirer, Amen to that!
I like it exactly the way it is and wouldn't change a thing.
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
sue7

Post by sue7 »

bridger15 wrote: So, I suppose the only remedy available is to prevail upon the transgressors to temper their enthusiasm for posting anything and everything.

---Arlene
This sounds positively ominous, Arlene! :) I don't see any "transgressors" here, only differences of opinion as to what is optimal for one's use of the forum for information.
Sue
Doris

Post by Doris »

Thank you very much, sturgess66, for your tireless work during the European tour. You did it extremely well (and you still do)! I appreciate that very much. Many thanks to you!
And all I´ve said
was just instead of
Coming back to you.

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”