CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, September 2

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
sturgess66

Re: CONCERT REPORT: Helsinki, September 2

Post by sturgess66 »

Some nice video uploaded by Hans-Erik Nyman - Thanks!

Going Home
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXhND3c3Iuk

Partisan
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0s-Qk3Qy8w

Democracy
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NkxDnfCmiW4

Editing to add more -

Heart With No Companion - Leonard in shades 8)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWljkPoBKQM

Alexandra Leaving
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1QMjUVztCk
Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maarten

Post by Maarten »

coolfadda wrote:... and I see alexandra leaving on the set list!!! I've had this on my facebook page for ages and sharing with everyone but didn't think it was on the list... so so happy.. roll on Verona :D
Well, actually it was more like "Sandra Leaving" :-)
Mr Cohen introduced the song and then announced it was going to be sung by "Sandra... Eeeuuh... Sharon Robinson!" :-D

Maarten

2008 Manchester | Bruges | Amsterdam | London | 2x Brussels | Rotterdam |2x London
2009 New York | Cologne | Antwerp | Venice | Colmar | Barcelona | Las Vegas | San José
2010 Salzburg | 2x Sligo | Helsinki | 3x Ghent | Lille | 2x Las Vegas
2012 5x Ghent | 2x A'dam | Helsinki | Dublin | Verona | 3x Paris | Lisboa
2013 Paris | Antwerp | Oberhausen | Brussels | Pula | Rotterdam | Amsterdam | 2x Wellington | Auckland
bridger15

Post by bridger15 »

Ksenia wrote:I wanted to write something but turns out there are no words for the many emotions that I feel :) But I'll try.

This was my first LC concert and I have to say I felt like a baby there, being 20 years old :D But the crowd was great, I really love coming to Helsinki to concerts because people are very polite and appreciative.
As for the show, it was fantastic. I can't believe it was 4 amazing hours, time flew by so quickly! It was overwhelming, just being there, in the moment. 'Hallelujah' literally had me in tears.

Thank you Leonard & thank you people for amazing experience!
First thing I did this morning was checking videos on my phone. I had to make sure I didn't just see everything in a cruel dream :D I'll try to upload them as soon as possible.
Such a lovely concert report. I really enjoyed your "first concert" excitement.
Thank you Ksenia for sharing your experience and thoughts on the forum.
---Arlene
2009-San Diego|Los Ang|Nashville|St Louis|Kansas City|LVegas|San Jose
2010-Gothenburg|Berlin|Ghentx2|Oaklandx2|Portland|LVegasx2
2012-Austinx2|Denver|Los Ang|Seattle|Portland

Arlene's Leonard Cohen Scrapbook http://onboogiestreet.blogspot.com
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Last edited by sturgess66 on Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
sturgess66

Post by sturgess66 »

Uploaded by AreWe67 - Thanks!

Hallelujah
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9v1WoxQa0I
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Some photos from Helsinki by Aarno Sundgren. A photo gallery with original size pix coming soon!

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
antwerp guy

Post by antwerp guy »

Wow, great pictures. Mr Sundgren is the Master of Shadows!

In the video's it shows that Mitch did not join the standing troops in The Partisan. Was that the first time?

Thanks to all for posting these gems!

Guy
1979 Antwerpen (Koningin Elisabethzaal) - 1993 Gent (Flanders Expo) - 2008 Brugge (Minnewaterpark), Paris (Olympia), Brussel (Vorst Nationaal) - 2009 Antwerpen (Sportpaleis) - 2010 Las Vegas (Caesars Palace) X 2 - 2012 Gent (Sint-Pietersplein) X 2
DrHGuy

Post by DrHGuy »

Video: Leonard Cohen Thanks Jarkko (2012 Helsinki Concert)

At the September 2, 2012 Leonard Cohen Old Ideas World Tour concert in Helsinki, Finland, Leonard Cohen publicly thanked Jarkko Arjatsalo, creator of LeonardCohenFiles, declaring that because of his efforts ...
My work was kept alive for all these years
Maarten Massa's video of this event can now be viewed at http://youtu.be/wPHscnyyxok

Note: I also posted this in the "News" section. The information seems important enough to warrant this duplication, lest someone miss it.
musicmania

Post by musicmania »

casaperon wrote:Hope to see field commander cohen in some of the next concerts! :roll:
We heard it in soundcheck in Ghent so hopefully it will make an appearence at some stage.
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
Lazy-Bastard devotee

Post by Lazy-Bastard devotee »

I have been lucky to see the "Lazy bastard in a suit" (quoted, with the highest possible respect!) 5 times. My 4 previous times were all in London. Having just relocated to Helsinki, I am so happy to see that Mr Cohen's performance is always to the highest possible standard. He is a true example for many other artists, especially those who get on stage late showing no respect for fans, who play for 1 hour and 30 minutes looking bored, etc. The quality of his songs is unquestionable, as are his skills. After seing him live you cannot question his commitment, his respect for the audience and fellow musicians. A true "gentleman in a suit". Long live Mr Cohen. The world needs him.

Sincerely,
P.
"The-Lazy-Bastard devotee"

P.S: Having a beer sitting at my seat would have been nice! But I understand it is a Finnish thing to not allow it.......
P.S. 1: wonderful Sharon Robinson!
P.S. 2: sublime Webb Sisters from kent
P.S. 3: incredible musicians...........and the Violin from Moldova added something new to the previous tour....!!
P.S. 4: .... and well done Jarkko.. I have followed your site through the years, and you fully deserve Mr Cohen's public appreciation..
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Lazy-Bastard devotee wrote:I am so happy to see that Mr Cohen's performance is always to the highest possible standard. He is a true example for many other artists, especially those who get on stage late showing no respect for fans, who play for 1 hour and 30 minutes looking bored, etc. The quality of his songs is unquestionable, as are his skills. After seing him live you cannot question his commitment, his respect for the audience and fellow musicians. A true "gentleman in a suit". Long live Mr Cohen. The world needs him.

Sincerely,
P.
"The-Lazy-Bastard devotee"
Well said Lazy-Bastard devotee.

Wendy
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

Some pictures of the audience by Lorca Cohen (posted with her kind permission)
I will post 1 MB versions in the soon-to-come gallery.

1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
holydove

Post by holydove »

Ksenia wrote:I wanted to write something but turns out there are no words for the many emotions that I feel :) But I'll try.

This was my first LC concert and I have to say I felt like a baby there, being 20 years old :D But the crowd was great, I really love coming to Helsinki to concerts because people are very polite and appreciative.
As for the show, it was fantastic. I can't believe it was 4 amazing hours, time flew by so quickly! It was overwhelming, just being there, in the moment. 'Hallelujah' literally had me in tears.

Thank you Leonard & thank you people for amazing experience!
First thing I did this morning was checking videos on my phone. I had to make sure I didn't just see everything in a cruel dream :D I'll try to upload them as soon as possible.
Thank you, Ksenia. It's true - the experience is too huge for anyone's words to ever contain it, but your lovely, heartfelt report beautifully conveys so much of the emotion & atmosphere, & I really enjoyed reading it.

Editing: Thank you for posting the wonderful photos, Jarkko! Looks & sounds like the Helsinki event, as usual, was truly a Great Event! I hope I will have a chance to get there someday.
coolfadda

Post by coolfadda »

Maarten I have found out since I posted that it is indeed Sharon singing the song.... a slight pity as I was really looking forward to hearing Leonard singing it. I thought it was a great choice as the vocal range is right up his street at this stage of his life. So, if you are listening Leonard a duet with Sharon in Verona would go down a treat!!!. Either way, I know I will enjoy. Delighted you all had a great night though and really delighted Jarkko got a mention too.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you from me, too, for your lovely report, Ksenia. Our Leonard Cohen world so counts on people like you!

Lazy Bastard devotee ~ So pleased with your report and totally agree with you.

Thrilled to see such a fine group of deserving people seated in that front row in Helsinki... and thrilled no end to hear that Leonard spoke so lovingly of all of you regarding these many years of devotion. GREAT that Lorca captured and shared you with us!
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”