CONCERT REPORTS: Ghent, Aug 12, 14, 15, 17 & 18

Concert reports, set lists, reviews, photos and You Tube links. Fan meet-ups before and after the concerts.
Nessus Jr

Re: CONCERT REPORTS: Ghent, Aug 12, 14, 15, 17 & 18

Post by Nessus Jr » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I'm impressed by some of the sigs here ...
Tomorrow will be my 2nd Lenny gig, so I like the idea of a Neverending tour.

cheers,
Marco

2008 Amsterdam
2012 Ghent ... If The Good Lord's Willin' (and The Creeks Don't Rise) as Hank would say ;-)
2008 Amsterdam
2012 Ghent
Goldin

Post by Goldin » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:08 pm

PHOTOS FROM FLICKR
Ghent, 12 August

by SnakeFrog
here it begins, more and more = almost 100

by Sterrennieuws
24 pictures, including photos of the audience & unmarked setlist

by alexvanhee
8 photos
Roman aka Hermitage Prisoner
foxymona

Post by foxymona » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 pm

Thanks for all the wonderful info and video links.

Now, I have to wish summer away and wish for winter because my tickets in Montreal are at the end of November......ouch!!
Montreal 2008; Fort Lauderdale 2009, Montreal 2012 X 2, Kingston 2012
elvinhaak

Re: Ghent 2012-08-12

Post by elvinhaak » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:46 pm

I cannot agree more - thanks for the lovely evening and concert!
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:05 am

SeventhSon wrote:This concert was absolutely amazing. The setlist was great (Some nice surprises (I never would have believed that Leonard would play "I can't forget") and all the Old Ideas songs sounded fantastic). Especially the ending was very exciting because I was convinced that after "I tried to Leave you" it would be over, but no, 3 more songs. Wow! Fantastic. Only thing missing was Whither Thou Goest as closer. :)

Leonard and the band were in great shape as usual.

The only thing I did not like, was the way Democracy sounded (I don't know how you call what Leonard played during the song, but in my opinion it did not fit the mood of the song and ruined it a bit by sounding too much like happy circus music. Also, he should have sung the chorus together with the Webb Sisters).

Look forward for the upcoming shows, you will not be disappointed! :D

PS: I had two dutch women sitting behind me who were smoking, talking and singing all the time with their horrible smoky voices. They just wouldn't stop and when I asked them to be quiet, they just kept going, ruining me the entire "Everybody knows" song by singing it so loud, I couldn't concentrate on Leonard anymore. I left during that song (They had already ruined me the opener, Bird on a wire and The Future) and went to some empty seats at the back, although I had payed 99 Euro for the Golden Circle seats. This makes me very angry. After the pause, a couple that was sitting right next to me joined me on the empty seats in the back, telling me that the two women just kept going, ruining them the entire first half. It's unbelievable that such people attend Leonard's concerts and seem to enjoy ruining other people the show. I doubt that these two women are members of the forum, but if they are and read this I just want to tell them what I wasn't able to at the concerts, because I did not want to make a scene, risking to disturb other people: F*ck off (Excuse my language).

And now, let's celebrate the first concert of the tour by many happy reports. :D

It's so exciting reading all the reports of what sounds like it's going to be one hell of another tour! Can't wait :D :D

The story of the two dutch women.........brings back memories. Many years ago (late 70s or early 80s) we had a similar experience in Dublin. Unfortunately for us it was an indoor venue with bad acoustics. We were unfortunate to sit beside a fellow who sang (badly) along with every song. I tried to say nicely that it was LC we came to hear :roll: but he just continued on. Tried to get security to intervene, but he ignored them too. He ruined what should have been a special night. I often wonder if he's on this forum :?: If you are, I hope you're blushing :oops: !!!!!!!
Yes, my pacifist husband did actually tell him to f*ck off!
I hope you enjoy the rest of the Tour. Watch out for the dutch women!
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:18 am

Maarten wrote:Save The Last Dance:
http://youtu.be/GiHTlYgoOZI

Will upload a couple of other clips tomorrow when I wake up and post photos too!

Night!
Maarten
(need to go to bed, 5:50am now... Had a wonderful evening/night/morning/...)
Maarten, thanks so much for uploading this. When I saw reports of Save the last Dance, I thought it must surely be a newer version or a special LC version. I can't believe he's singing what I always thought of as a sh*t song, even back in the 60s! I'm just gobsmacked! I know probably younger fans will be hearing it for the first time, so will have a completely different take on it. Sorry, but for me it's YEEEEEEEUCK!!!!!
JudasPriest

CONCERT REPORTS: Ghent, Aug 12, 14, 15, 17 & 18

Post by JudasPriest » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:22 am

Yes, Daniel O'Donnell covers it if memory serves. SHUDDER....
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:35 am

'Save the last dance' would not be a song I would expect Leonard to sing, but he made it fun. It is a generational thing, of course. I think it was a lot of fun and he really looked like he was enjoying singing it. Thank you for that one Leonard. :D
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:39 am

Oh, ouch, now you've reminded me of why I thought I'd heard it in recent years :roll: :roll:
Danile O'Donnell and Leonard Cohen in the same sentence................we're committing blasphemy :lol:
B4real

Post by B4real » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:40 am

It was interesting that he chose that song to include in an Old Ideas tour. I watched the video and everyone seemed to be having fun with it.

I wondered to myself if he considered singing DO I HAVE TO DANCE ALL NIGHT instead :razz:
He could have started the first line as : "I'm seventy-seven, the moon is full"..... :lol:

I also absolutely have to say the biggest thank you to Maarten for those incredible videos & photos and to everyone else who has contributed information.
Being so far away at the bottom of the world to see and hear all this makes me feel closer to everything. 8)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
Päivi from Finland

Post by Päivi from Finland » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:42 am

Wonderful news!!! Nice to read all these comments while WAITING FOR THE MIRACLE TO COME at 17th and 18th August when we will be there!!
1993: Helsinki
2008: Copenhagen, Helsinki
2009: Budapest, Barcelona
2010:Helsinki, Stuttgart
2012:Ghent 17th and 18th Aug, Helsinki, Bucharest
2013:Brussels, Berlin, Pula, Stockholm, Oslo, Amsterdam
annmarie

Post by annmarie » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:44 am

Cheshire gal wrote:'Save the last dance' would not be a song I would expect Leonard to sing, but he made it fun. It is a generational thing, of course. I think it was a lot of fun and he really looked like he was enjoying singing it. Thank you for that one Leonard. :D

Of course it's a generational thing! After all I'm a Grumpy Old Woman :lol: :lol: :lol:
Seriously tho, and apart from "that song" I'm enjoying every report. Thanks to everyone who took the trouble to report :)
LisadellLad

Post by LisadellLad » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:47 am

Anyone know why dino had to step aside.

Also thought save the last dance was a nice light moment - really enjoyed the youtube.

roll on dublin

***See this Dino-thread: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=32458 / Jarkko***
lissadell July 31 2010
lissadell August 1 2010
Liamberney

Post by Liamberney » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:50 am

My first opportunity to catch up with the Ghent reports and postings. Wonderful, thank you everyone. Blown away by Alexandra leaving! Leonard looks well and just keeps on getting better!
Cheshire gal

Post by Cheshire gal » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:55 am

Not being familiar with Daniel O'Donnell I have to say this is one of my favorite songs from the posted videos.
Leonard used to always throw in an unusual (for him) song on past concerts. Usually a country tune. I love them. They show his sense of humor and don't we all have a song that would not be popular by most peoples standards that we ourselves enjoy?

I will be playing this song very regularly. :lol:
'...and here's a man still working for your little smile' -Leonard Cohen
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Return to “EUROPE 2012 / CONCERT REPORTS & MEET-UPS”