the Modigliani exhibition at the Jewish Museum

The New York Event - before and after!
liverpoolken

the Modigliani exhibition at the Jewish Museum

Post by liverpoolken »

If any of you guys have a spare couple of hours whilst in New York the Modigliani exhibition at the Jewish Museum on 5th. Avenue sounds like a worthwhile diversion.

The art critics here in the UK have been quietly raving about this show ever since it opened.

I've pasted in one of the many excellent reviews that the show has received here in the UK.

Well I'm going.

Ta Ken

The challenge of taking Modigliani seriously
Modigliani’s madonnas actually suggest a far stronger brew, Waldemar Januszczak now realises

Taking Modigliani seriously is a challenge. Lots of things have conspired to diminish his reputation as an artist. The disastrous life he led, for one. All that hashish-smoking and boozing, all those angry love affairs, the TB, the coughing, have turned him into a classic artistic loser and made him internationally infamous: so much so that he is about to be unleashed upon us in movie form, with the dark and smouldering Andy Garcia playing “Modi”. Truly great artists are able to survive the banal atten-tions of a big Hollywood biopic. Picasso survived the crude Hispano-Welsh characterisations of a raving Anthony Hopkins. Van Gogh lived through Kirk Douglas. The question is: can Modigliani survive Garcia? Is he a profound enough artist to emerge from a cinematic beatification with his aesthetic legacy intact? Had you asked me this question before I toured Modigliani: Beyond the Myth, at the Jewish Museum in New York, I would have replied “No”, confidently. Now, I would answer “Yes”, confidently. Because the deepest reason for the fragility of Modigliani’s modern reputation is not the grotesqueness of the proto-rock’n’roll life he is thought to have led, but the wan and powdery impact of his art. Mention Modigliani (which, incidentally, you should say without any g-sound in it, because it is an Italian name) and you evoke before the viewer an immediate parade of slope-shouldered, long-necked, neomedieval madonnettes, flickering weakly like the final moments of a candle.
Passing off this weak tea bag of femininity as a profound achievement requires chutzpah and invention. The Jewish Museum, startlingly, has provided both. Its new Modigliani show is the first exhibition in my lifetime that manages successfully to enhance his artistic reputation. Indeed, it completely rebuilds it. The show yanks Modigliani out of the clutches of the makers of pretty postcards and turns him, instead, into an unsettling Jewish mystic, whose cultural anxieties nourished his work continuously, productively and superbly. Who would have thought it? So superficially do we understand Modigliani that even acknow- ledging his Jewishness requires a deeper-than-usual knowledge of him. The other Jewish artists operating around him in first world war Paris — Chagall, Soutine, Lipchitz — were so much more obviously Jews. They came from Eastern Europe. They smelt of the ghetto. They spoke with thick foreign accents. Their work made Jewishness an issue and proclaimed it. Modigliani, however, smelt of cologne and privilege. He was the fourth son of a family of genteel and assimilated Sephardic Jews who had settled in Livorno, in northern Italy, and who brought up their offspring to be cultured and travelled. Modigliani spoke fluent French. Everyone in their memoirs goes on about how pretty he was, how elegant his hands were, how well spoken he could be. Thus, his Jewishness was of an entirely different order from the transgressive, second- commandment-breaking, shtetl-hardened Jewishness of his Montmartre buddies. But it was there all right. Spotting it so clearly is this show’s chief achievement.

Modigliani arrived in Paris as a sculptor. He had studied marble-carving in Michelangelo’s old stamping ground of Carrara, though his preferred material was limestone — cheaper than marble and altogether grittier. A hacked- out limestone head begins these proceedings. The face is already one of Modigliani’s ovals, a nose as thin as an exclamation mark, with a tiny full-stop mouth and closed hyphen eyes. But these elegant feminine simplifications have then had a hammer taken to them. Bits of the head are missing. Chunks are gone from the nose. The neck has been battered.

Modigliani seems to have perpetrated his own iconoclasm.

I suppose his ambition was to make the thing look dug-up and ancient. But since we know it is not, the head connects instead with an un-Modiglianian sense of violence. Looking closer, I noticed something peculiar sticking out of a hole in the idol’s headdress.

I peered in. There was a little face in there — a mini-idol who had taken up residence in the larger idol’s hair. The mini-idol was just sitting there, looking out, like a mouse in a skirting board. The keynote struck by this spooky opening piece is eminently peculiar.

The exhibition ahead mixes Modigliani’s sculpture not only with his paintings but also with his drawings, the three of them marching side-by-side along the woman-signposted route of his notoriously brief life. As a painter, his opening style was derived from Picasso’s Blue-Period parade of whores and circus performers. Yet, interestingly, Modigliani’s Blue Period has more sense of confrontation about it than Picasso’s. An early nude in a hat, with droopy breasts and carelessly applied lipstick, stares out sullenly from her imaginary doorway and accuses you, I suggest, of being foul client material.

Thus, a show you had expected to be wan and gentle all the way through seeks instead to give you a slapping from the off. It is the drawings, carefully positioned to provide irrefutable evidence of Modigliani’s spiritual turmoil at all the main junctures, that reveal most clearly the mystical origins of his anguish. We know from biographical evidence that Modigliani was dabbling with the occult and taking drugs in order to reach heightened states. The very first drawing in the show, produced while he was still in Italy, shows a man lying on the ground and yet simultaneously standing above himself in a creepy, out-of-body experience. Later on, quotations from mystical and occult texts begin to infiltrate the action. Six-pointed stars turn up; gnomic thoughts are scrawled in the margins. Sniffing the air, you smell the unmistakable mystic pong of the tarot.

The first of the show’s spectac-ular revisionist set pieces features a collection of paintings and drawings centred on the image of the caryatid. Caryatids are the twisted figures in classical architecture charged with holding up roofs and lintels. Modigliani painted them obsessively, and I had previously found them tedious and repetitive. But here, this repetitiveness is revealed as a strength. The caryatid’s endless physical struggle is a perfect visual equivalent of Modigliani’s endless spiritual struggle. His painted caryatids, and the sculptures associated with them, have a coiled psychological power that I had stupidly missed in his work.

As another deliberate counter to the myth of Modigliani as the supreme painter of pale women, the show also devotes a gallery to his intense portraits of men. The sitters are unhappy art-world types from his Parisian circles: the collector Paul Guillaume; the poet Max Jacob; dealers; drinking buddies. Because of the fascinating groundwork the show has already put in before we reach them, it is easier here to sense the voodoo in these unsmiling masculine portraits. In all Modigliani’s portraiture, an attempt is being made to transform the peripheral and the everyday into the immutable and the permanent. The louche art-world types have been granted the gravitas of ancient idols.

But it is, naturally, the appearance of the familiar Modigliani women halfway through the procession, the ones with the long necks and the almond eyes, that really tests the mettle of this show. Can we see them afresh as the product of a handsome wandering Jew’s anguished spiritual journey? Alas, I’m not sure we can. Because this is the Jewish Museum, and all the exhibitions here have a proselytising religious ambition to them, Modigliani’s Jewishness is overpromoted as the source of his new-found religious power. The evidence of the show itself suggests that, while mystical Jewishness may indeed have been Modigliani’s original fuel, it was soon replaced by others. The Christian archetype of the gentle madonna was obviously the main pattern for Modigliani’s long-necked women.

What I discovered in them instead was the nuanced subtlety of his colouring. Reproductions do Modigliani’s work no favours. They flatten his forms and reduce his outlines to a comic-book crudeness. Modigliani in the flesh is a master of glows and translucencies. His women have an inner light in them. They shine from the middle like Hallowe’en pumpkins.

Ever so smartly, the show has saved its best room for last. The final gallery is devoted to Modigliani’s nudes. Half a dozen of them surround you and stare at you. These magnificent nudes pull off a marvellous trick. They manage simultaneously to be sexy and portentous. Their outlines seem sculptural. Simplified. Elegant. But their details are carefully observed. Practical. True. A couple of them even have hair under their arms. How Italian of him.

Modigliani: Beyond the Myth is at the Jewish Museum, New York, until September 19
lightning

Post by lightning »

"God's chosen people" don't proselytise nor encourage conversion but they do tend to make up for centuries of persecution with ethnic chauvinism. If you dig Mo, by all means go.
Anne

Post by Anne »

Thank you for posting this. Modigliani is a favourite of mine. I didn't know about this exhibit, so now I have something else to enjoy on this NYC trip!
evelyn

Modigiani show

Post by evelyn »

Thank you for posting this Ken!

I was planning on seeing this show - this weekend would be a
perfect opportunity!

Evelyn
evelyn

Modigliani show

Post by evelyn »

oops! I meant next weekend, the weekend of the event - only 5
more days!

evelyn
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thank you from me as well, Ken, for posting this excellent review. Are you reading this, Margaret? I don't have access to a printer prior to my departure tomorrow; so if you can, please print it and bring it with you. Thanks!

~ Lizzy
margaret

Post by margaret »

OK Lizzy, I'll print it tomorrow. See you soon :D
lightning

Post by lightning »

And the moron who wrote that the Madonna was a Christian archetype should be reminded that she was a Jewish mother.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks, Margaret :D !

You keep 'em straight, Lightning :wink: ~ it couldn't be truer, though. Jewish.

~ Lizzy
lightning

Info about Jewish Museum

Post by lightning »

On Thursdays between 5 and 9 PM it's "pay what you wish" with a $4 surcharge for the Modigliani exhibit. On other days it's $ 10 admission, $7.50 for seniors and students. It's closed on Saturdays for the Sabbath and Fridays after 5. The cafeteria is below the museum, had decent food and wasn't very expensve. The book and gift shop have many tempting items,( e.g. things about Jewish mysticism, art, celebrities) sold at full price. I'd write the titles down and look for them at a discount on the net unless you need a gift in a hurry or want to support the museum.
captain_mongoose

Post by captain_mongoose »

Wow, thanks for posting that, wish I could go...

Re: the Modigliani exhibition at the Jewish Museum

Post by anunitu »

Concerning the Madonna, much of Christian symbols came from earlier Pagan symbolism.

see this link.

http://freetruth.50webs.org/B1b.htm

Anunitu

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”