Our recidivists

The New York Event - before and after!
Dem

Post by Dem »

Vesuvius or Aitna or Kilimanjaro or whoever you are do you happen to have access to my bank account?

Or you are simply "projecting"?

Demetris
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Ciao Dem!

"Or you are simply "projecting."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vesuvius
Zabka

Post by Zabka »

hi Lizzy!

Thanks for you cheerful message! :) I am quite well and have enjoyed the last couple of months off, though wondered what you have all been up to! Too much background reading for me to catch up on!

I've just come back to my old home and have a computer at my fingertips so couldn't resist. I see that M Georges is getting better and better, which is good news and a big relief. (kissy kissy)

Well, not sure how much I will be on, but I am back for sure. Look at all this lava! 8)

I see you are well and thriving here!
:lol:
ZZ

What we have learned is like a handful of earth. What we have yet to learn is like the whole world. (Avvaiyar)
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Hi Zabka :D ~

Yes, I'm low-keying here now [I rather like the double-entendre of that :wink: ] out of necessity. Won't bore you with the details [at least not here :) ].

For how long do you anticipate being old home[d]? Yep, we're still here ~ and, yes, with some warm thanks to his friend, Ben, Georges is steadily improving :D 8) . Sometimes amazingly so, in fact.

Ah yes, I just stepped over all the flowing lava to get to the other side and say "Hi" to you :D !

Love,
Lizzy :D
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

Zabka, nice to "see" you back. I missed your banter. Thanks, also to Liz for her kind comments. Everything gets better, even old wine. Ben did help me a lot Liz, but he has broken contact with me. Life, i suppose, must go on. Well Zabka, have you changed your mouthwash?
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Well, Georges, so that at least partially explains his absence here. To paraphrase what some writings say ~ some people come into our lives for a reason, others for a season, and the rest, forever. Ben appears to have been in yours for a season and a reason. He left his footprints in the sand of your poetry. A lovely gift he brought you through himself.

~ Lizzy
George.Wright

Post by George.Wright »

He certainly pointed me into a more focused direction. I miss his comments and critiques.
Georges
I am a right bad ass, dankish prince and I love my Violet to bits.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

I'll bet you do, Georges....but you're hanging in there pretty solid, with some of the guidelines he gave you. Life has its ways.....maybe he'll be around again at some point. Harry Chapin had one of many songs that I loved, the one I'm thinking of now is, "Circle" ["All my life's a circle.......]. It's a wonderful song. I'm sorry your friend has gone.
Dem

Vesuvius :meaoooooow!

Post by Dem »

As about Anti-Americanism and the high moral values of the USA through the years you might find interesting the folowing pieces from the NY Times:

Nixon-Kissinger

"Delight Over Coup Is Evident in Transcripts"
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/28/politics/28tapes.html

and
"Kissinger Tapes Describe Crises, War and Stark Photos of Abuse"
http://www.nytimes.com/2004/05/27/politics/27TAPE.html

For the full texts of the phone conversations check the National Security Archive website at :
http://www.gwu.edu/~nsarchiv/

meaooooooow!

Demetris
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Yes, Demetris ~

I was listening to the book being discussed on NPR yesterday morning on my way in to work. Eight years of Henry Kissinger's recorded telephone messages. He did something like make 'them' [whoever 'them' is ~ can't recall] agree/promise/commit/whatever to not publish them until 5 years after he was dead [or some other choice ~ can't remember that one, either]. As I'm recalling the foggy, no-coffee-yet details, the transcripts were only obtained via threat of lawsuit [or actual lawsuit, nah, I think the threat of it].

Anyway, I guess it's not ironic that as I was listening, I thought of you. They spoke of his having three sides, one of which was rather evil and two-faced, and they quoted where he spoke with the Russian leader, and then demeaned and made fun of him [to Nixon?] after their conversation ended. The conversations included open and frank discussion of reframing issues, hiding controversial photos, etc., ad nauseum. As I rode in, I wondered how various people here would react to it, and knew that you would find it very enlightening and believable, as would I.

I should hunt up the segment on the NPR site and quote it, or at least provide the link....but dang, I'm too tired.

~ Elizabeth
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Ciao Dem!

I think it is a very good thing that you are not going to New York. You would be very unhappy there! Instead of enjoying the activities you would be in the Public Library going through archives to find all the bad you could. Instead of going on the Leonard scavenger hunt you would be taking photographs of the poor on the streets. Instead of listening to the Angels sing you would be in your room listening to the American news broadcasts and taking notes about thier "lies". On the bus tour and boat tours you would mentally compare the brutish attitudes and manners of the Americans to the gentle, considerate people of your homeland. Then you would hurry back to glorious Greece and rush to your computer and post how it "all" was just as you supposed. No, dear dem, it is best that you stay away! Continue with your researches on Kissinger and Elvis. That is best!

Vesuvius
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

It is far from me to interupt an engaging correspondence which spills into areas which should be, and have been, the subjects of other threads on this board.
It's time to get back to the plot : The N.Y. Leonard Cohen event this June is a bi-annual celebration of the work of Canada's greatest living poet. By the way, he also writes and sings songs.
Andrew.

P.S. I am not Canadian, yet I feel for many Americans who seek refuge.
Partisan

Post by Partisan »

I thought it was a celebration of the world's greatest living singer songwriter.
He also writes poems.

p.
Andrew McGeever

Post by Andrew McGeever »

Dear Partisan,
If you are confused, then you should be.
He wouldn't have it any other way, and neither would I.
Andrew.
Vesuvius

Post by Vesuvius »

Ciao Andrew McGeever,

No. You are wrong. It is "not far from you". It is your job on the forum to always come in and redirect the conversational traffic. "I know you of old." (That is Shakespeare!) :)

The conversation always is changed by the ones who do not like America or Americans because of the world scene. No the matter the topic threads always get changed by the ones who are twisted evil :twisted: about America. That is why I have to jump in. I am out numbered but I do not mind! That is my job. :)

I think now it is best that I am too poor to go to New York too. Because I see the beautiful Angel in her post mentioned the poltics too! So I think it will be unhappy for those who do not agree with the majority. The songs will take on a political bias that everyone will like but a few. (Maybe I am wrong. Maybe no one but me would not like it). That is o.k. Everyone is free in America to sing how they would like to sing. So it is good. I will stay home with Dem.

Vesuvius

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”