The New York Event - before and after!
Tim

Bottom Line evicted

Postby Tim » Thu Dec 04, 2003 9:43 pm

worrying news as reported by rolling stone:

Revered NYC club ordered to vacate thirty-year home
margaret

Postby margaret » Fri Dec 05, 2003 1:09 am

I had an email in November from John Beckman at NYU as a result of my signing an online petition to "save the Bottom Line". In it he explained in detail how the university had been bending over backwards to resolve issues of the rent arrears and re-negotiating a lease but getting nowhere with the club, who constantly failed to do as they had promised.

It looks like The Event Committee will need to find an alternative venue for our evening's entertainment next summer.
Coco

Postby Coco » Fri Dec 05, 2003 7:25 am

Hi Margaret and Tim!

Oh no! :( This is terrible and I hope the committee will be able to find a venu that is just as good as the Bottom Line. New York City has to have other clubs that the event can meet in. I know the Committee will come up with something great!
lightning

Bottom Line looking for new home

Postby lightning » Fri Dec 05, 2003 5:09 pm

I heard on NY1 , the TV channel that deals exclusively with New York news that the Bottom Line was looking for a new home. So all might not be lost, just relocated. Hope it fares better than the rest of New York's estimated 40,000 homeless , who despite outreach programs and shelters, continue to be found in sleeping in doorways, on gratings, etc, as the city foots the electric light bill for millions of Christmas lights. And the poor we always have with us.
Adrian

Laurie Beechman Theater

Postby Adrian » Sat Dec 06, 2003 1:05 pm

There is an excellent venue in mid-town Manhattan called the Laurie Beechman Theater. It rents out for private functions for an extremely reasonable fee, and is great for dining and intimate musical performances. It holds 80 - 100 people, so, this may not be large enough for your needs, but, I mention it as its such a good room and a bargain.

Here's some of the basic info:

Laurie Beechman Theatre (underneath the West Bank Cafe)
407 West 42nd Street
New York NY 10036

Information
wbcparty@aol.com
http://www.westbankcafe.com

The Laurie Beechman Theatre is host to a large number of workshop and cabaret performances, not to mention benefits. It serves as a cabaret theater and a private event and meeting space that can seat 80 for dinner and 100 for a buffet. The theater features a 20-foot long mahogany bar, dance floor capacity, and a state-of-the-art stage that has premiered several Broadway plays, including the Tony Award-winning musical "Sideman." The restaurant and theater were designed by Hudson Scenic, a famous Broadway set design group.
"Why music?" "Why breathing?"
kieron

Bottom line quandry

Postby kieron » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:34 pm

Hi there, it might sound obvious but what about the Chelsea Hotel?
They must have a room for us Cohenites, with a bar, a very big bar, and barkeeps, lots of them.. lol... whadaya think folks?
oh draught Guinness and Burboun also, lots of that too... am I asking too much, food would be good also, lots of that, it is a party.... isn't it...
Closing time ringing in my ears... so what about it.. can the commitee respond and let us know what they are thinking of doing.
Heretic

Postby Heretic » Sat Dec 06, 2003 7:38 pm

Inspired idea Kieron.
Maybe we would could have a floor show with an unmade bed.
margaret

Postby margaret » Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:28 pm

Is Tracey Emin coming to New York? :roll:

For anyone outside of UK , she is a controversial "artist" who had an exhibit not so long ago of an actual unmade bed :shock:
Last edited by margaret on Sun Dec 07, 2003 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lightning

Postby lightning » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:08 pm

Heretic and all,
There already was a play about the songs of Leonard Cohen with an unmade bed on the stage as the only prop, if I remember it. It was performed off-Broadway in Greenwich Village in the 70's and did not run for very long.
All the cool cabarets I can think of like the Bowery Poetry Club and Tonic are too small for 350 people. I think Jarkko was talking about some other part of Columbia.
You can and should go to the Chelsea yourself. The bar and Spanish restaurant next door is called the Quixote. Fine for Paella and Marques de Riscal, good Spanish red wine. As far as unmade beds, there is maid service to take care of that, but you may unmake it yourself, for atmosphere.
If you could turn back the clock 35 or so years you would get even better atmosphere and maybe the presence of young Leonard Cohen. . People would whisper to each other "Leonards in the hotel!" Even among stars he was special person. He would come to Stanley Amos' magic meeting where tarot was taught and the punch was laced with moonshine acid. "Acid is ruining the heads of the revolution" he would say, and someone would counter, "Acid is the revolution!"
Now all you may get is a hotel bill and a maid. You may have to pay extra for the blow job.
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:23 pm

:lol: So you, Lightning, so you..... 8) :lol:

Love,
Elizabeth
lizzytysh

Postby lizzytysh » Sat Dec 06, 2003 9:26 pm

And good taste in people, all those stars 8) .

~ Elizabeth

Return to “The Leonard Cohen Event in New York 2004”