Highway Robbery

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
Nico2000

Highway Robbery

Post by Nico2000 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 5:33 pm

Just found out, (a little late I know) that Leanord Cohen is coming to the Netherlands.
Being a fan for 30 years I was thrilled to read this and went looking for tickets right away...
Now, (minutes later) I just wanna puke... 89 Euro's for the cheaperst ticket???

That's just Highway F..ing Robbery !!!
Went to the Wall by Pink Floyd for less that 60. Prince (playing for 3 hours) less than 40.
THIS UTTERLY SUCKS !!!!

So, What makes it this expensive...? Mr. Cohen? All the promotors? Recordlabe A-holes? Or ticketsellers ?
Look into this Mr. Cohen. Makes me wanna throw all your CD's out the window.
I won't be going I guess.
Vicomte

Re: Highway Robbery

Post by Vicomte » Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:48 pm

There are some of us on the forum that believe the tickets are OTT this time but of course it's all about selling tickets at the highest price they can and still sell seats.

The problem you will have with some of his "fans" on here is, they will go to gigs wherever and whatever the price, so you will get no joy from them. Someone posted that it is too bad if a certain percentage of those who have been a follower of LC's for many years can't afford to go and and see him, as there are plenty that will go. It might be somewhat wrong of me to say this but it is meant in the best possible way and that is, a part of me wouldn't mind seeing empty seats, even swathes of them, it won't affect LC as he has replenished his coffers since the disaster he had with his financial loss but it might let his management and agents see that charging such high prices has not sat well with many of LC's followers, after all, we are all going through a very long recession and times are hard for many and I bet a fair few Cohen supporters are amongst those suffering financially.

Springsteen and a few of the bands that give lengthy concerts are not charging such prices, so I wonder why the management have decided to charge so so much for LC tickets? Morally, I see it as not too nice but financially, well what can you say, times are hard as I said but if they can get the money, then I guess they will see it as justified?
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
TipperaryAnn

Post by TipperaryAnn » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:41 pm

Vicomte wrote:
Springsteen and a few of the bands that give lengthy concerts are not charging such prices
Springsteen prices for Ireland next week are €86 and €96 per seat (over €100 when service charge is added) - much the same as LC.

As you say, Vicomte, it's all a matter of supply and demand. Personally I am so delighted to have LC play in Ireland again that I don't begrudge the ticket prices, knowing that I would spend a lot more on flights and accommodation if I had to travel abroad to hear him. Sadly, there must be some who would love to go but just can't afford to, just as there are some who get free tickets from local promoters, have no interest in LC, and either give them away or worse still sell them! Life is just not fair...
Forget your perfect offering -
There is a crack in everything...
arran

Post by arran » Fri Jul 13, 2012 11:37 pm

As I live in Scotland I will have travel expenses and hotel accommodation to add to the ticket price but consider well worth it.
2012 Dublin Kilmainham
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:32 am

It is not all about those who can afford it, it is maybe more about those who can't and that really saddens me. Sure people will say, "well I am going" and good luck to all that will see LC in concert but all I see that does to someone like Nico, is rub his face in it. I don't like it, it doesn't sit well, Leonard Cohen somewhere along the road from before the Isle of Wight to today, has in recent times changed, the fans have changed, nothing terribly wrong with that, people do change but personally, I have found it a kind of struggle to accept the changes that have occurred since, shall we say, around 2008 but that is not to say, I no longer enjoy the man and his words and music, I suppose the long delay in his touring, then the change when he returned was pretty quick and did not happen gradually. So, can I just say, it is different............
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sat Jul 14, 2012 2:50 am

Springsteen prices for Ireland next week are €86 and €96 per seat (over €100 when service charge is added) - much the same as LC.
That is OK, Ann but in Paris and in other cities Springsteen has been/will be, cheaper than what LC will be and look how Springsteen reacted a few years ago at ticket prices being raised by outrageous ticket agencies.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... r-20090204
Neil from The Young Ones
Chubi

Post by Chubi » Sun Jul 15, 2012 12:40 pm

Ann but in Paris and in other cities Springsteen has been/will be, cheaper than what LC will be and look how Springsteen reacted a few years ago at ticket prices being raised by outrageous ticket agencies.
I suppose that the size of the venue is a factor:
In Paris, Springsteen played in Bercy, which has a capacity of 7000 to 17000, while LC will play at the Olympia, with 1772 seats.
In Dublin, Springsteen plays in a stadion to probably 30000 spectators ("His three sold out shows there in 2008 were seen by a total of 110,000 fans."). Kilmainham seems to hold up to 10000 seats.
In Berlin, Sprinsteen played this year to 55.000 spectators, while the Waldbühne has a capacity of 20.000.
I'm sure there are more examples.

(I regularly go to concerts and I hardly ever pay less than 25 Euros for one these days, so personally I am not so shocked to pay the price of 3 or 4 tickets for such a treat, but I can't think of other artists for which I would spend that much.)
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Sun Jul 15, 2012 2:29 pm

Whilst realising that the size of a venue can dictate prices, the solution as how to reach more LC followers with differing finances, is a simple one. I am seriously bothered about the prices for LC concerts these last few years or so, when you consider his words/teachings/thoughts and how he believes it is for the, shall we say, less well off in society.

Without going over the same ground again, members thoughts are to be find on another similar threads, this being one:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=31712
Neil from The Young Ones
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:43 am

The point is too, that it does not end at the price of the ticket either. Many people may scrape together nigh on a hundred pounds and then there is the journey to get to the concert. We do not all live close to a venue.
I know that is not always the fault of the agents, (or is it?) but if the tickets were on a parr with other big artists it may be more acceptable.
As usual it comes under the heading of GREED again. If they think they could get it, they would make it even more expensive.
I expect someone somewhere is sitting in a back room saying - suckers - they will pay it!
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
its4inthemorning

Post by its4inthemorning » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:03 am

How much to charge for tickets, and which cities/venues to play in, are determined by the artist and by the company given the responsibility of organizing and running the tour. These decisions are based on covering costs (travel, meals, lodging for LC, ten musicians, and at least that many support staff for months on end, transportation of equipment, fees charged by the various venues, musician and staff salaries, tour management salaries) plus winding up with a profit to be split in some manner among LC, the other musicians, the support staff, and the tour management company. Contracts are signed, and money is layed out up front for many of the costs, and there is never any guarantee beforehand of the final results.

Those individuals who feel that attending a concert is worth the ticket price will do so, and those who think the prices are "highway robbery" will not. No person or committee determines what constitutes a "fair" ticket price, the marketplace does.

Attending a big-name concert is a luxury, not a necessity, and not everyone can afford luxuries all the time. I know I could not have when I was younger, and I certainly do not feel guilty about being able to now.

I am elated that LC has decided to tour again, and I gladly wrote the checks for our tickets. I know that we will be awed by the performances we see, and I hope the 2012 tour will be financially successful.
2010 DECEMBER 10 - CAESARS COLOSSEUM, LAS VEGAS / 2012 SEPTEMBER 28 - L'OLYMPIA, PARIS
2012 OCTOBER 3 - PALAU SANT JORDI, BARCELONA / 2012 DECEMBER 13 - K-ROCK CENTRE, KINGSTON
2013 APRIL 6 - RADIO CITY MUSIC HALL, NEW YORK CITY / 2013 JULY 9 - PIAZZA NAPOLEONE, LUCCA
2017 NOVEMBER 4-8 - MONTREAL "TOWER OF SONG" CELEBRATION - RIP, YOU GOT ME SINGING!
lightasabreeze

Post by lightasabreeze » Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:18 am

I think we are all aware where the money goes, but how come some artists can do it for less. Their stay, keep and expenses at the same venues must be much the same.
Yes, I too gladly paid up, but what you are saying is 'Blow you I am alright' .
Leonard probably has many fans that cannot just get a cheque book out as easily as others.
Just so you know.
Somebody must have died for you
A Thousand Kisses Deep

London 02 x 3..... Radio city New York... Wet Weybridge..... Wembley Arena... Brighton..
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:47 am

+1 lightasabreeze
Neil from The Young Ones
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte » Mon Jul 16, 2012 11:53 am

its4inthemorning wrote:
Those individuals who feel that attending a concert is worth the ticket price will do so, and those who think the prices are "highway robbery" will not. No person or committee determines what constitutes a "fair" ticket price, the marketplace does.

Attending a big-name concert is a luxury, not a necessity, and not everyone can afford luxuries all the time. I know I could not have when I was younger, and I certainly do not feel guilty about being able to now.

I am elated that LC has decided to tour again, and I gladly wrote the checks for our tickets. I know that we will be awed by the performances we see, and I hope the 2012 tour will be financially successful.
You miss the point, I too will be going BUT that is not what I am talking about, it is the fans who cannot afford to attend a gig due to prices, especially in a time of recession and more especially when artists like LC must be fully aware that not all his fans have the kind of money to pay the ticket prices. Personally I feel it is a snub to those people, some of those may have been "fans" from an early stage of Cohen's concerts and albums.
Neil from The Young Ones
Nico2000

Post by Nico2000 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 12:10 pm

Well I guess it must be nice to have plenty of money and be able to think "F..ck everybody else".
People like that are the reason the world is what it is. But hey... I wasn't trying to change the world, I was just ventilating.
Like I said, for 60 bucks I went to "The Wall" by Pink FLoyd and looking at that production, I can't imagine the concert by Mr Cohen would be so expensive that it validates ticketprices between 80 and 190 bucks a seat. Somebody out there is making way to much money off this tour. Guess all I can do is download from the net, if the concert is ever released on DVD, or so.
Call it "Poor Peoples Revenge".
scocoh

Post by scocoh » Mon Jul 16, 2012 8:34 pm

Regardless of anyone's personal feelings about ticket prices and personal financial situation, shame on you guys for taking 4inthemorning's words and twisting them into "Blow you I am alright" and "F..ck everybody else."

Disagree, fine, but don't make stuff up to suit your own anger or envy.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”