HOP FARM (UK), 8 SEPT ON GENERAL SALE

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
bean

Re: HOP FARM (UK), 8 SEPT ON GENERAL SALE

Post by bean »

Very pleased that we all seem to have very good tickets; lets us hope for beautiful weather and a wonderful concert :D
Cilbo

Post by Cilbo »

It will be a wonderful concert - and in the garden of England the weather will be....anything could happen! - often really lovely in September.
London 2008, Brighton 2008, Liverpool 2009, Ghent 2010, Stuttgart 2010.
Ghent x 2 - 2012, London 2013, Brighton 2013....
bean

Post by bean »

I don't wish to tempt fate, but I live in Kent, and the weather in September is often a lot better than July or August.

Fingers crossed.
hydriot

Post by hydriot »

Not for me, after Wetbridge. And I'll be surprised if this truly is the only concert in the UK. It's not like AEG to look free money in the face and not grab it.
“If you do have love it's a kind of wound, and if you don't have it it's worse.” - Leonard, July 1988
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hydriot - hopefully, when they've exhausted the finances of the "fans" and those with Cohenitus, we might start getting some serious concerts? :D
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

Come on guys - this is old ground!! We know the score.

From Rob Hallett himself:

"UK fans hold on tight
only one in 2012 but this will be a long tour! ; )"

Personally I want to see Leonard in 2012 and 2013 if I get the chance. Does that make me a "fan" (whatever I don't know what the speech marks mean John but I suspect it's not meant to be a compliment) or a person with Cohenitus? Maybe - but while some of the "old guard" are sitting at home tutting, other "old timers" will be enjoying Leonard's music, even though it might mean a few economies elsewhere to make the pension stretch .......

Wendy
mariannenancy

Post by mariannenancy »

I left as a longstanding member on these boards in 2008, after the bullying of 'new fans' became something I didn't want to be associated with. As a fan of 30-odd years standing, and quite a few concerts under my belt, I'm delighted for someone when they 'discover' Leonard and are prepared to give up their time and money to see him live.

The slights against those fans going to The Hop Farm as they cannot possibly be as true a 'fan' as you are is bizarre (and all the other similar comments across these pages). You don't have to The Only Leonard Cohen Fan In The Village you know!

How about dropping the measurement of your own devotion against everyone else's and just enjoy people discovering Leonard for themselves? They have to start somewhere. Sneering 'Cohenitus' at new fans is very mean.

Have a good day, and take this in the spirit it's meant. All it takes for petty unpleasantness to prevail is for good men to say nothing! Or something like that... :D
SuffolkLass

Post by SuffolkLass »

I've been a Leonard Cohen fan for over forty years and have been following this forum for a few years now, but have only joined recently and this is my first post.
I've managed to get tickets for the Hop Farm concert, not very good ones I'm afraid as I missed the first announcement and by the time I'd worried about whether the concert was official or not, all the block A seats had been taken! I couldn't believe how quickly they went. Nevertheless I'm still delighted to be seeing Leonard again, even though I would have preferred an indoor concert with fewer people. I'm just hoping he'll be back in the UK in 2013 so I'll be able to see him again.
somewhat_nifty

Post by somewhat_nifty »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Come on guys - this is old ground!! We know the score.

From Rob Hallett himself:

"UK fans hold on tight
only one in 2012 but this will be a long tour! ; )"

Personally I want to see Leonard in 2012 and 2013 if I get the chance. Does that make me a "fan" (whatever I don't know what the speech marks mean John but I suspect it's not meant to be a compliment) or a person with Cohenitus? Maybe - but while some of the "old guard" are sitting at home tutting, other "old timers" will be enjoying Leonard's music, even though it might mean a few economies elsewhere to make the pension stretch .......

Wendy
I agree, it's really quite tedious. I know some object to the word 'fan' (from the fanatic origins? The associations with teenyboppers? Who knows), I use it as it's a convenient term - what else are you, an admirer, a fellower traveller, an enthusiast? Perhaps it's because it's felt to be associated more with the man than the music - I don't see that that follows, but each to their own! Leonard is an interesting man, but it's the music that brings us all here, and keeps us coming back. Personally I'm looking forward to seeing him in 2013 as well if possible. There are some who will disregard what I say as I'm young and necessarily a 'newcomer' because of this, but heigh ho, some people always need someone to look down on. Luckily there are plenty of great people here who don't, and it's a pleasure knowing them.
I'm chained to the old masquerade...
2008: London O2 14th Nov, RAH 18th Nov; 2009: NY RCMH 16th May, Weybridge MBW 11th July, Barcelona 21st Sept; 2010: Sligo 31st July, Lille 25th Sept, Las Vegas 11th Dec; 2012: Wembley Arena 8th Sept, Dublin 11th Sept 2013: London O2 21st June, London O2 14th Sept
dharma

Post by dharma »

Mabeanie1 wrote:Come on guys - this is old ground!! We know the score.

Personally I want to see Leonard in 2012 and 2013 if I get the chance.

Wendy
Me too. :D

I don't understand some of the negative, snide and grumpy remarks I've seen on the forum. It's a real shame and I wish it would stop.

I realise one of the main gripes has been about the cost of tickets. Like everyone else I also wish the tickets cost less. I remember paying something like £8.50 to see Leonard at the Albert Hall 20 years ago, but those days are long gone.

To put things in perspective, I paid a LOT more money to see Leonard in Dublin, Paris and Venice on his last tour, and will also pay a LOT more to take my son to tomorrow's FA Cup semi-final (come on you Spurs) and the British Grand Prix in the summer. Prime tickets for a top West End show cost a fortune too. Every damn thing costs a lot of money these days.

Given a choice, I'd rather be sitting in a field in Kent in September listening to Leonard than being sat at home counting my pennies. :D
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Cilbo

Post by Cilbo »

A agree with those above who are thoroughly fed up with the current negative feel on the forum.
I commented somewhere else that there is not the usual excited buzz, as generally happens during tour announcements.
We are so lucky to have opportunities to see Leonard again - I don't know about everyone else, but for me work is tough, so it's great to have occasions such as 3 days in Ghent and two great concerts to look forward to.
Can we get back to feeling excited and privileged to see Leonard again?
Cilla.
London 2008, Brighton 2008, Liverpool 2009, Ghent 2010, Stuttgart 2010.
Ghent x 2 - 2012, London 2013, Brighton 2013....
polkadot3

Post by polkadot3 »

Why are people being so grumpy about new members to the forum? I really discovered Leonard when I developed Multiple Sclerosis 3 years ago and
have been following the forum ever since but only actually registered a few weeks ago. I hope to go to the Hop Farm but will have to wait to buy tickets until some money comes in. I saw Leonard at the O2 in Dublin and in Sligo. Brilliant!
loulou

Post by loulou »

one thought though, for balance
what is 'petty unpleasantness' to some
is 'their voice' to others

btw, i have just caught up with the Verona stuff,
wasn't aware until it was mentioned here, and to all of those caught up with it, you have my empathy x

love & peace
desire the horse
depression the cart
anneeshipley

Post by anneeshipley »

[quote="loulou"]one thought though, for balance
what is 'petty unpleasantness' to some
is 'their voice' to others

Here here :D
Vicomte

Post by Vicomte »

+ me ;-)

I don't see it as negativity, just others seeing it from their perspective and their attempts to keep this forum slightly more level than it just being a Leonard Cohen "lovefest".

I have said this before but he is a serious man who writes poems, books, he is a wordsmith, an artist and a singer, not a pop idol, actually, not an idol of any kind, well not to some of us and as others (inc myself) have also said, this type of adulation has only been seen in such a way since the last tour and personally , I am rather puzzled to how it all began to go as such. Yes, we are all different and see some things in different ways and perhaps, long may it be so BUT it doesn't mean that some of us can quite fully comprehend as to why Cohen concerts, or this Forum, has seen such a change in the leaning towards some rather serious adulation of Leonard.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”