HOP FARM (UK), 8 SEPT ON GENERAL SALE

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
John Etherington

Re: Hop Farm UK 8 Sept announced

Post by John Etherington »

presumably £95.00 plus booking fee?
bean

Post by bean »

John Etherington wrote:presumably £95.00 plus booking fee?

That will make it three figures probably :roll:
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

I can't help but wonder who they're targeting with this show...you've got an artist who's two years off his 80th birthday, and the majority of whose long-term followers are probably 60 plus. Yet the setting is more suitable for a younger festival goer (open air, off the beaten track, involving treks/queueing to the station and presumably crammed transport). Fair enough, if they're pitching for a younger audience. Yet the top price tickets match top price at The Royal Albert Hall in 2009!
Mabeanie1

Post by Mabeanie1 »

John Etherington wrote:I can't help but wonder who they're targeting with this show...you've got an artist who's two years off his 80th birthday, and the majority of whose long-term followers are probably 60 plus. Yet the setting is more suitable for a younger festival goer (open air, off the beaten track, involving treks/queueing to the station and presumably crammed transport). Fair enough, if they're pitching for a younger audience. Yet the top price tickets match top price at The Royal Albert Hall in 2009!
I think you've answered your own question John. There's no money in attracting the old timers (some of whom I'll have you know are still under 60, just about). To sell 10,000 tickets they have to attract the younger festival goers, some of whom may still be LC fans in another 40 years' time, even though Leonard himself will no longer be around then. Personally I was thoroughly miserable at Wetbridge but, let's face it, a lot of people thought that event was the best thing since sliced bread.

Wendy
da2008

Post by da2008 »

I just can't help but wonder if those young people would drop everything when they hear "HOP FARM". Fascinating.
dharma

Post by dharma »

Some of the Hop Farm Festival headline acts in recent years have been oldies like Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, and Dylan is doing Hop Farm again this year, so I think Leonard will attract some of the same crowd of people.

If it's a hot, sunny day, then it could be great, or it could be another Weybridge. With English weather it's a roll of the dice though. :roll:
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
scocoh

Post by scocoh »

--
Last edited by scocoh on Fri Jul 20, 2012 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cilbo

Post by Cilbo »

It is very noticable that the usual Forum 'buzz' at the announcement of a new concert date is lacking!
Most people, including me, seem to be disappointed in the Hop Garden as a venue (and I live in Kent!)
I am so happy that I will be going to the lovely city of Ghent - it's beautiful, vibrant , friendly, and probably easier to get to than the Hop Farm.
Good luck getting tickets everyone! At least it won't be a ticket lottery like Ghent!! I hope.
Cilla.
London 2008, Brighton 2008, Liverpool 2009, Ghent 2010, Stuttgart 2010.
Ghent x 2 - 2012, London 2013, Brighton 2013....
da2008

Post by da2008 »

There's now a new price level added. £95.
A.Sukitu

Post by A.Sukitu »

Cilbo,
I agree about the feeling of lack of excitement and buzz re. Hop Farm ....
I'm shaking my head.
Wet Weybridge had a preferable site.
Neil Young, Van M., Dylan etc etc etc don't have the trek there and back, or the transport challenges, or the one-to-one contact (?and excitement?) with British weather in an outdoor concert.
I'll look forward to reading all the reports and listening to the clips and hope that everyone has a wonderful evening.
"You let me sing, you lifted me up, you gave my soul a beam to travel on. ... You gave the injury a tongue to heal itself."
Leonard Cohen in Book of Mercy (1984) Ch. 19.
cohenadmirer

Post by cohenadmirer »

I live in the uk , but The Wirral not Kent.
I'm going to Ghent and Barcelona, both of which are easy to get to via a short( and quite cheap ) flight from Liverpool Airport .
Two short holidays in attractive locations with guaranteed great evening entertainment and hopefully convivial company from other forum members
Hop Farm would be ' tricky ' to get to , and away from , and possibly uncomfortable while there !
So no thankypu
I guess i'm learning that national boundaries aren't that important when going to Leonard cohen concerts !

Nonetheless would be great if the uk was better blessed in 2013. !!
Leonard's work resonates
Brighton 1979; Dublin , Manchester june 2008; glasgow, manchester Nov 2008; Liverpool july 2009 ; Barcelona Sept 2009 ;marseille, lille september2010: Ghent August 2012;Barcelona October 2012;Montreal x2 November 2012: 2013; Saint John NB April 2013; Brussels June 2013;Manchester August 2013; Leeds , Birmingham September 2013; Amsterdam September 2013
jarkko
Site Admin

Post by jarkko »

I am now at hotel in Amsterdam and had time to check my emails.
AEG has not confirmed the concert. They have not given us any presale links.
The last email earlier tonight made it clear that AEG has not yet authorized
this concert to be announced.
I will check the emails again around 9 am to see if more information¨
has arrived. If not, there is nothing we can do. I will be offline
for most of the day tomorrow. Those who want presale tickets to this
concert should check this thread often tomorrow.
Jarkko
1988, 1993: Helsinki||2008: Manchester|Oslo|London O2|Berlin|Helsinki|London RAH|| 2009: New York Beacon|Berlin|Venice|Barcelona|Las Vegas|San José||2010: Salzburg|Helsinki|Gent|Bratislava|Las Vegas|| 2012: Gent|Helsinki|Verona|| 2013: New York|Pula|Oslo|||
meglos2000

Post by meglos2000 »

Thanks for the update Jarkko.

It does sound like an odd situation that the promoter has announced it and an on-sale date before it is agreed properly.

I wonder if this means the public on-sale for Friday might be delayed?

Tricky, as it's hard to know when to take time off work to ensure I get to the pre-sale in time!

Good luck all!
bean

Post by bean »

Many thanks for the update.

An odd situation :?
da2008

Post by da2008 »

Thank you Jarkko.

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”