UK CONCERTS

Everything about the European leg of the World Tour!
Post Reply
John Etherington
Posts: 2581
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by John Etherington » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:41 am

I can't believe people are paying over £100 for tickets for an open-air gig when they don't even know the layout (complete madness)! There's bound to be a U.K. Tour next year, so I'm waiting for that. If there's only one thing I've learned from Leonard (in the way he lives his life) it's not to rush into things.
User avatar
dharma
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by dharma » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:46 am

lightasabreeze wrote:I think I will give this one a miss and let the 'younger' generation stand around for hours listening to lesser groups while waiting for Leonard.
As far as I can tell, this will be a seated concert and nothing like the usual Hop Farm Festivals where you stand and lots of bands appear on stage.

If the weather is good then there's no reason why this cannot be a fantastic and special concert.
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
catswhiskers
Posts: 117
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2008 5:41 pm

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by catswhiskers » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:18 pm

OK--I´m a dumb blond--but has this concert been actually CONFIRMED yet??
No word from jarkko that I can find.Would hate to see you fellow fans spending all this cash--for something not truly announced as yet.
All seems very odd to me.!!!!
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by Vicomte » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:23 pm

John Etherington wrote:I can't believe people are paying over £100 for tickets for an open-air gig when they don't even know the layout (complete madness)! There's bound to be a U.K. Tour next year, so I'm waiting for that. If there's only one thing I've learned from Leonard (in the way he lives his life) it's not to rush into things.
So true.

I also see a lot of unnecessary panic in members posts as to whether, or not, LC will play indoor gigs in the UK, even desperate words as to how LC "owes" the UK and how it would be awful of him not to offer concerts in the UK. Well as someone who was 100% certain he would tour again, I am just as certain that there will be dates in the UK, either later in the year, or if not, for sure next year
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
stargazer61
Posts: 123
Joined: Wed Nov 19, 2008 2:36 am

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by stargazer61 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:25 pm

catswhiskers wrote:OK--I´m a dumb blond--but has this concert been actually CONFIRMED yet??
No word from jarkko that I can find.Would hate to see you fellow fans spending all this cash--for something not truly announced as yet.
All seems very odd to me.!!!!

Yes, it has been confirmed and it is on sale at the moment
1970 IOW
2008 Birmingham
2009 Liverpool. Weybridge. Paris. Barcelona
2012 Paris.The Hop Farm.
anneeshipley
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by anneeshipley » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:46 pm

Vicomte wrote:
John Etherington wrote:I can't believe people are paying over £100 for tickets for an open-air gig when they don't even know the layout (complete madness)! There's bound to be a U.K. Tour next year, so I'm waiting for that. If there's only one thing I've learned from Leonard (in the way he lives his life) it's not to rush into things.
So true.

I also see a lot of unnecessary panic in members posts as to whether, or not, LC will play indoor gigs in the UK, even desperate words as to how LC "owes" the UK and how it would be awful of him not to offer concerts in the UK. Well as someone who was 100% certain he would tour again, I am just as certain that there will be dates in the UK, either later in the year, or if not, for sure next year
I am with you two...I dont understand the hysteria almost on the forum.....will be at LC concerts next year if there are any but in the meantime.............

Anne
User avatar
tomsakic
Posts: 5247
Joined: Wed Jul 03, 2002 2:12 pm
Location: Zagreb, Croatia
Contact:

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by tomsakic » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:50 pm

There is a seating plan when you're buying tickets on Eventim, as usual. No shows had blind tickets, except standing ones.
User avatar
joyezekiel
Posts: 404
Joined: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:11 pm
Location: Magnolia, Texas USA (ex UK)

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by joyezekiel » Thu Apr 12, 2012 4:28 pm

dharma wrote:
lightasabreeze wrote:I think I will give this one a miss and let the 'younger' generation stand around for hours listening to lesser groups while waiting for Leonard.
As far as I can tell, this will be a seated concert and nothing like the usual Hop Farm Festivals where you stand and lots of bands appear on stage.

If the weather is good then there's no reason why this cannot be a fantastic and special concert.
IF.......
1976 Leicester 2008 London O2/Cardiff 2009 NYC/Austin/Weybridge/Nashville 2010 Ghent x 2/Las Vegas x 2 2012 Ghent x 2/Austin/Montreal/Quebec City/Boston x 2 2013 Memphis/New Orleans/Winnipeg/Birmingham/London O2/Amsterdam/Auckland
John Etherington
Posts: 2581
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by John Etherington » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:58 pm

Vicomte - the down side for those of us who are waiting for UK gigs next year is that with people happily paying £100 + for Hop Farm, they will most likely double the price for the indoor shows!
ginforbreakfast
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by ginforbreakfast » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 pm

lightasabreeze wrote: I think I will give this one a miss and let the 'younger' generation stand around for hours listening to lesser groups while waiting for Leonard.
(I hope for them it will be better than when Bob Dylan performed there.)
I am one of the 'younger gerneration', but there's no way I can ever afford that sort of money for a single act.

I can't see this selling out anytime soon. Prince played at the festival last year, and they were still selling tickets on the door. If Vince Power is organising, they'll be ramming in as many people as they can.

For those of us holding out, it might be worth keeping an eye open for promo tickets. I saw Dylan and Van Morrison for free last year, courtesy of Power's Feis Festival. Simiarly, I paid full whack for the past two Hop Farms, only to discover that half the people there had got there with some sort of freebie.
Vicomte
Posts: 844
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:49 am
Location: Saint Malo Bretagne

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by Vicomte » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:22 pm

John Etherington wrote:Vicomte - the down side for those of us who are waiting for UK gigs next year is that with people happily paying £100 + for Hop Farm, they will most likely double the price for the indoor shows!
Of course there is that fear,John, they may well keep putting up the prices until sales slow down but until then, all one can do is hope that they don't. I will hopefully be going to one or so gigs in the UK but, this tour I will be voting with my conscience on what is acceptable and what is blatantly extortionate pricing.
I guess it all started for me sometime around Christmas 1967 and now, goodness me, it's.........2018 and over fifty years later.
No one ever listens to me. I might as well be a Leonard Cohen record.
Neil from The Young Ones
John Etherington
Posts: 2581
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by John Etherington » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:27 pm

Anne - re the hysteria on the Forum. I know there are a few who are hysterical by nature, but I can understand why there's a degree of panic among those who have never seen Leonard or only discovered him in recent years. Clearly the increasing horror of modern ticket buying exacerbates the process. However, the fact that people are kept guessing about concerts doesn't help, especially when such large amounts of money are at stake. I've been watching the process with interest, waiting to see which concerts are announced. However since it seems there is now definitely only one U.K. this year, I can generally give the Forum a much needed rest!

I've personally reached the point where I can take a more philosophical view, because I've been fortunate enough to see Leonard play live regularly since the days when he was "underground" rather than mainstream. I've also had the good fortune to meet him a couple of times (once properly) and got various things signed by him, so I'm not expecting much more now. I'm particularly sorry for the younger generation like ginforbreakfast above who maybe haven't seen Leonard live, but are unable to rise to the crazy prices that are currently being asked.
Last edited by John Etherington on Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1970: London RAH, Isle of Wight 1972: London RAH 1974: London RAH 1976: London RAH, New Victoria x 3, 1979: Hammersmith x3 1985: Hammersmith 1988: London RAH x 2 1993: London RAH x2 2008: Manchester, London O2, London RAH, Brighton 2009: Weybridge, Liverpool, 2012: Wembley, 2013: Brighton, London O2.
anneeshipley
Posts: 55
Joined: Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: UK

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by anneeshipley » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:38 pm

John..yes I am going to take a rest from the forum even though when it comes to hopefully new dates in uk being announced I may not have posted often enough to deserve taking part in a pre sale!!! :lol:
John Etherington
Posts: 2581
Joined: Sat Sep 18, 2004 10:17 pm

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by John Etherington » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:44 pm

Anne - I think 34 posts is a good number, especially as it correlates with the year of Leonard's birth!
User avatar
dharma
Posts: 248
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:25 pm
Location: Essex, UK

Re: UK CONCERTS

Post by dharma » Thu Apr 12, 2012 9:15 pm

Why all the negativity on the forum today? :(
ginforbreakfast wrote:I can't see this selling out anytime soon. Prince played at the festival last year, and they were still selling tickets on the door. If Vince Power is organising, they'll be ramming in as many people as they can.
Leonard is NOT playing the Hop Farm Festival where you have lots of bands, several stages, standing only and around 50,000 attending. This will be a seated concert for around 7,500 people. :)
London 1985 / London 1988 / London 1992 / Dublin, Manchester, London, Paris, 2008 / Weybridge, Venice 2009
Post Reply

Return to “Old Ideas World Tour 2012 / Europe”