Sharon Robinson's album EVERYBODY KNOWS (August 2008)

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
jarkko
Site Admin

Sharon Robinson's album EVERYBODY KNOWS (August 2008)

Post by jarkko »

It was a bit difficult to decide in which section to post this item, so let's start with the News!

Sharon writes:
I'm writing to let you know that I'll soon be releasing an album of my own.The album is called "New Standards" and is an album of 10 songs, three of which are my versions of songs I've written with Leonard.

The three songs I wrote with Leonard are "Alexandra Leaving", "Everybody Knows", and "Summertime". The other songs are mostly unknown, but the titles are "Invisible Tattoo", "Party For The Lonely", "Forever In A Kiss", "Sustenance", "As It Goes By", "The High Road", and "Secondhand".

The cover art for the record was done by Leonard. I've attached a jpeg.

I'll be making the album available through a new online distribution company called NovaTunes. They'll be doing a beta launch on October 16 and a full launch on November 15. It will also be available on iTunes and CD Baby or Amazon. I don't have dates for those as yet.

There's a new website started and still in progress at http://www.sharonrobinsonmusic.com where I'll also be making the record available soon, along with some streaming audio.
lizzytysh

Re: Sharon Robinson's new album with LC items

Post by lizzytysh »

What a beautiful surprize to hear from Sharon, after so long, and in this way. The cover art that Leonard did is very distinctive. I love it. This should be a really good album. I look forward to hearing and then getting it. So much that's good has been happening in Leonard's world since the Kelley debacle.

This seems an appropriate place, as it definitely relates to Leonard. Thanks for posting it, Jarkko.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
dick

Re: Sharon Robinson's new album with LC-related items

Post by dick »

Looks like a great project! Was also pleased to see recognition on Sharon's website (blog) for Jarkko, Marie, and Tom!
Be sure and have a look at http://www.sharonrobinsonmusic.com
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

"mirroring her approach in TNS" and "Leonard Cohen ... has pronounced the album, 'Brilliant, a masterpiece'." - these two quotations makes this the most awaited "CD" [or it's iTune download? :-) ] since Dear Heather and Blue Alert, at least in my small world. In any case, Sharon is now almost as quick as Leonard, it took her 3 years to finish it:-) And she has the seal of aprovement, those two red stamps behind her, on the left side of the jpg, seems familiar... I like the cover art.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

... and look at the row of coffee cups with the hummingbirds hovering 8) . Is this a new seal making its debut?

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

Nope, it's an old one, I saw it much earlier in Leonard's drawings. It's the logo of Still Life Studio, I think, what's Sharon's studio, where Ten New Songs and Dear Heather (Sharon's 3 songs) were recorded. The logo was used on Sharon's old web-site and now obviously on the new cover art. New Standards was also recorded there, as the new web-site states.

lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Which drawings was it in/on? Do you recall?
~ Oscar Wilde
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Hi all,

As far as I recall this is just a reworking of the original logo for the studio. As I recall the original was blue - less stylized. But, the Hummingbird, coffee-cup, and all is pretty much the same, just up-dated. I could take out my case with all my LC stuff in it, but the last time I did that, I couldn't find my shoes for 40 days and 40 nights.
~ The smell of perfume in the air, bits of beauty everywhere ~ Leonard Cohen.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

8) Once more I believe I misread the wording in both of the last posts. So, shoot me, already. I'm just looking for something to do on a rainy VERY rainy Saturday night.
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Was also pleased to see recognition on Sharon's website (blog) for Jarkko, Marie, and Tom!
Cool. If I don't read the posts, I can stay up until dawn. Good going everyone. TOM! Esp. I mean, you 'do' kind of like Sharon, if I recall correctly? 8)
astranger

Post by astranger »

Did Leonard create the Order of the United Heart logo? Is this an actual Order? I'm in love with the symbol and imagery it evokes.
Jake.........Durham, NC 11-3-09; Brooklyn, NY 12-20-12
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

I think the answer is 'yes', 'yes', 'me too' ... but what do I know?
linda_lakeside

Post by linda_lakeside »

Sorry, I didn't mean to be so flip. Yes, it's of Leonard's design. I have a gold (plate) ring with the Unified Heart which I wear from time to time (when I can find it). Also, there's that big, friggin' logo. He also designed the 'Unity' which is kind of a long story, but it's design is similar with united hands. Actually, I believe it was during the time that this forum was going thru a wee bit of trouble. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

Is it a 'real' order? Not like the Knights Templar, no. More like the 'Leonard Cohen Society'. Again, (I don't want to repeat myself), but someone will def. correct me if I'm wrong.

Linda.

Cheers.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

lizzytysh wrote:Which drawings was it in/on? Do you recall?
I found it on Sharon's old site (jpg insterted above). There's an old Still Life Studio logo, by Leonard, on The Blackening Pages, at http://www.leonardcohenfiles.com/stilllife.html.

Logo of the studio in the backyard
where Sharon and Leanne and I
are recording the new songs"

- Leonard

Los Angeles, July 2000
Alas, Sharon says the logo on the cover art is her logo, designed for her by Leonard in 2001. So I apparently remembered, as Linda, the parts of the logo (cup of coffee) and she's right this is redesigned as the logo now. Also, don't forget that Sharon worked first time with Leonard in 1979, on Recent Songs tour, when hummingbird logo was introduced as Leonard's first logo at all.
tomsakic

Post by tomsakic »

astranger wrote:Did Leonard create the Order of the United Heart logo? Is this an actual Order? I'm in love with the symbol and imagery it evokes.
This was discussed and answered by Leonard in our Book of Mercy threads earlier this year:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=8075&p=77383#p77383

Return to “Related Artists”