New Anjani album "I Came To Love" - article in EFE EME

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
sturgess66

New Anjani album "I Came To Love" - article in EFE EME

Post by sturgess66 »

Article in EFE EME -
http://www.efeeme.com/anjani-thomas-la- ... ard-cohen/

GOOGLE TRANSLATION (original article in Spanish at link above)
Anjani Thomas, who conquered the singer Leonard Cohen

Text ALFONSO CARDINAL posted on Jan 28, 2013 in category Interviews , international Interviews , Magazine

"Leonard and I are both committed to the songs without being tied to them. He taught me to edit and rule without fear. So what if it takes seven, twenty or thirty years to get exactly what you want to express? "

Seven years ago Anjani Thomas (1959) surprised everyone with the release of "Blue Alert", a beautiful album that flows next to the different genres that featured jazz and Leonard Cohen as principal lyricist. This year the singer returns with "I came to love", an album that promises to follow in the footsteps of its predecessor and in which each song has germinated at your pace.

Text: ALFONSO CARDINAL.

After that magnificent musical pearl 2006, which came recommended by Cohen himself, Anjani disappeared from the radar of the media to take refuge in the paint and prepare their next album. "It was not my intention to take this long, but things have gone well and I've learned not to argue with the clock of the universe. I have written and recorded many songs from "Blue Alert". All are precious to me, even the songs I've ruled out, "the artist told EFE justifies EME.

Now, the Hawaiian singer, has finished his fourth album since 2000. "The album is called 'I came to love'. It will be available in the spring in digital format. There has been such a change in the music industry in recent years is needed today is a significant demand to justify a physical format. Most people prefer to listen to my music the way. " Anjani's music is delicate and precious, right down to the smallest detail. Something very own school Cohen, much given to work weeks in a verse, in a word. "Leonard and I are both committed to the songs without being tied to them. He taught me to edit and rule without fear. So what if it takes seven, twenty or thirty years to get exactly what you want to express? Sometimes you get lucky and God says 'Here' and appears in front of you but all that's weird and I do not mind waiting for the gems rise to the surface. It's worth waiting for the truth, "explains Anjani, who is involved in the choice of the cover and decide who will distribute his album outside the U.S..

Re-record it has resisted the singer, who has spent a few years in the shelter of the painting and his return to music has been facing the creative process. "Discard songs has been the hardest thing has been to give them time and see that the disk was growing in another direction. Sometimes I'm lost and I hated what I heard and I had to go back in to edit a song so they returned to connect with me and all that I have taken much longer. In the end I was left with the songs that still had power, I looked longer singing. "For his new album, has again come to his companion. "There are some poems of Leonard I've become music, and I have written letters and composers collaborated with two more," says the artist.

Leonard Cohen Anjani met almost thirty years ago and have since maintained a special relationship. "We met in 1984 through John Lissauer, my friend that was occurring at Cohen. I was hired to do the chorus vocal recording 'Hallelujah' and then worked singing and playing the keyboard on the tour of that album was 'Various Positions' ". The friendship between the two artists was sealed since then and has not even Anjani Canadian frequented the stage itself has remained close to the poet at the time of writing and composing, a luxury partner gives his work a greater lyrical depth.

"During the time I was recording, Leonard was on the road and had to navigate alone. Ideas and he would send me back track. He was as involved as he could "

"Blue Alert" led the way musical Anjani and still has weight in the development of this new work. "Leonard wrote the lyrics of that album and I music. It was a very collaborative album because he had a clear idea of ​​what led me to make that record. So took a few songs to the first, although other took many takes to do them well. When it was perfect we both feel in our bones. One of the songs that will be entered in that record again. It is entitled 'Standing on the stairs' and that a song that has traveled extensively. Born as a country-inspired song, then stained folk and eventually discarded altogether. Two years later I met Jerry Marotta, the producer of this album, and was one of the first songs we recorded. During the time I was recording, Leonard was on the road and had to navigate alone. Ideas and he would send me back track. He was as involved as he could, "says the singer.

Anjani has not been quiet the years that have elapsed between the two discs, has been involved in several projects, but especially in "live". "There are many issues of concern these days for social, political or environmental.'ve Been true to the inner journey, growing and changing as an artist, as a woman and as a citizen of the world because art is something mysterious and sometimes internal needs rest , recharged, listen and be inspired in different ways. "

The singer, as the Canadian poet, exudes intensity and reflection in his words, is one of those people whose speech hypnotizes, whose words seem to sound in another dimension where ideas are more chewed and everything sounds less vain, less vulgar. Explain the creative process that leads an artist to create a work is always a cumbersome field. Anjani makes his way. "Before I went back to the studio a few years painting and I loved the tactile experience of working with color and canvas. I approached painting the same way as music. When I'm creating something I can go for weeks without seeing anyone. But inside I'm exploring, listening, watching the sky change color and feeling leaves are turned by the wind before it starts raining as I say they are thirsty birds and tell me about their lives. A lot of activity going on at that time silent. Then back to the fabric and paint ten or twelve hours until I finish the piece. The next day, the next week, I look at that picture and if the conversation is over I feel happy, I feel incomplete if maybe repaint a new scene. It worked that way, also in music, "says Anjani bare chest. In a few weeks back the sun, the heat, he will do with the new album by the Hawaiian singer, a job that is born macerated unhurried, at your own pace, with Cohen school early.

http://youtu.be/h8Ux6d2b9Ng

© EFEEME.COM, reproduced in whole or in part.
LisaLCFan

Re: New Anjani album "I Came To Love" - article in EFE EME

Post by LisaLCFan »

Some rather, um, intriguing translation issues.
B4real

Post by B4real »

Ha Lisa, seems 'she's' a 'he' :?
sturgess66 wrote:"For his new album, has again come to his companion.
and this one.....
sturgess66 wrote:"says Anjani bare chest".
....And of course I am interested in the fact that Anjani has been painting for the last few years. I didn't realize that. I wonder if anyone knows what her subject matter is? I'm guessing landscapes/seascapes.
strugess66 wrote:the singer, who has spent a few years in the shelter of the painting and his return to music
It doesn't seem to say exactly when the album is available.
EDIT: I just checked her site and it seems to show two different approx dates - Spring 2013 and Winter 2013 (USA)
It doesn't have to be perfect, it just has to B4real ~ me
Attitude is a self-fulfilling prophecy ~ me ...... The magic of art is the truth of its lies ~ me ...... Only left-handers are in their right mind!
hazey

Post by hazey »

B4real wrote:sturgess66 wrote:"says Anjani bare chest
It seems that Google got confused between "openhearted" and "bare chest".

Yes, intriguing. :)
1988 : Madrid / 2008 : London O2 Jul 17 / 2009: Madrid, Bilbao / 2010: Lisboa, Tours / 2012: Paris 2x, Madrid, Lisboa / 2013: Paris, Roma, Brighton
1000-kissesdeep

Post by 1000-kissesdeep »

Has anyone anymore details about the new album, i cant find any reference on her website or myspace or youtube,, anywhere!
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

Hi 1000-kisses deep,

It was meant to be early spring, but I would guess there's some delay. I know that Anjani wasn't well earlier this year, and since Leonard's writing some of the lyrics.... need I say anymore?! However, I'm very much looking forward to it.

All good things, John E
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

No matter the translation glitches, I love this comment:
The singer, as the Canadian poet, exudes intensity and reflection in his words, is one of those people whose speech hypnotizes, whose words seem to sound in another dimension where ideas are more chewed and everything sounds less vain, less vulgar.
Looking forward to this as much now as I did when I first heard about it, several years back.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
HelenOE

Post by HelenOE »

lizzytysh wrote:No matter the translation glitches
Translation glitches matter! Ouch! Here, let me fix that for you all.

Anjani Thomas, the singer who won over Leonard Cohen

Text by ALFONSO CARDINAL posted on Jan 28, 2013 in the category Interviews , international Interviews , Magazine

"Leonard and I are both committed to the songs without being tied to them. He taught me to edit and discard without fear. So what if you take seven, twenty or thirty years to get exactly what you want to express? "

Seven years ago Anjani Thomas (1959) surprised everyone with the release of "Blue Alert", a beautiful album that flows through different genres close to jazz and that featured Leonard Cohen as principal lyricist. This year the singer returns with "I came to love", an album that promises to follow in the wake of its predecessor and in which each song has germinated at its own pace.

Text: ALFONSO CARDINAL.

After that magnificent musical pearl of 2006, which came recommended by Cohen himself, Anjani disappeared from the media radar to take refuge in painting and to prepare her next album. "It was not my intention to take this long, but things have gone well and I've learned not to argue with the clock of the universe. I have written and recorded many songs since "Blue Alert". All are precious to me, even the songs I've ruled out, "the artist told EFE EME.

Now the Hawaiian singer has finished her fourth album since 2000. "The album is called 'I came to love'. It will be available in the spring in digital format. There has been such a change in the music industry in recent years that today a significant demand is needed to justify a physical format. Most of the people who listen to my music prefer it that way." Anjani's music is delicate and refined, with care given to even the smallest detail. Something very characteristic of the school of Cohen, who often works for weeks on a verse, on a word. "Leonard and I are both committed to the songs without being tied to them. He taught me to edit and discard without fear. So what if it takes seven, twenty or thirty years to get exactly what you want to express? Sometimes you get lucky and God says 'Here' and appears before you but that is rare and I don’t mind waiting for the gems to rise to the surface. It's worth waiting for the truth," explains Anjani, who is involved in choosing the cover and deciding who will distribute her album outside the U.S.

Recording again has been difficult for the singer, who has spent a few years taking refuge in painting and who, upon returning to music, has had to face the creative process. "Discarding songs has been the hardest thing, it’s been necessary to give them time and see that the record was growing in another direction. Sometimes I’ve been lost and I’ve hated what I was hearing and I’ve had to go back to some songs and edit them so that they would connect with me again and all that has taken me much longer. In the end I was left with the songs that still had power, the ones I could see myself singing for a longer time." For her new album, she has gone for assistance to her companion again. "There are some poems of Leonard’s that I have made music from, and I have written lyrics and I have collaborated with two other composers," explains the artist.

Anjani met Leonard Cohen almost thirty years ago and have maintained a special relationship since then. "We met in 1984 through John Lissauer, a friend of mine who was producing Cohen. I was hired to do the vocal choruses on the recording of 'Hallelujah' and later I worked singing and playing the keyboard for the entire tour of that album, which was 'Various Positions'. " The friendship between the two artists was sealed then and even though Anjani has not been onstage with the Canadian, she has remained close to the poet at the time of writing and composing, a deluxe collaborator who has given her work a greater lyrical depth.

"During the time I was recording, Leonard was on the road and I had to navigate alone. I would send him ideas and he would send clues back to me. He was as involved as he could be."

"Blue Alert" blazed the musical trail for Anjani and has still had an effect on the development of this new work. "Leonard wrote the lyrics of that album and I wrote the music. It was a very collaborative album because he had a clear idea of what led me to make that record. That’s why he caught some songs right away, although others took many takes to do them well. When it was perfect we both felt in our bones. One of the songs that didn’t go on that record will be on the new one. It is entitled 'Standing on the stairs' and it is a song that has traveled extensively. Born as a country-inspired song, it took on a tinge of folk and eventually I discarded it altogether. Two years later I met Jerry Marotta, the producer of this album, and it was one of the first songs we recorded. During the time I was recording, Leonard was on the road and I had to navigate alone. I would send him ideas and he would send clues back to me. He was as involved as he could be," the singer confesses.

Anjani has not been inactive during the years that have elapsed between the two records; she has been involved in several projects, but especially in "living". "There are many issues of concern these days at a social, political or environmental level. I have been true to the inner journey, growing and changing as an artist, as a woman and as a citizen of the world because art is something mysterious and internal that sometimes needs to rest , recharge, listen and be inspired in different ways. "

The singer, like the Canadian poet, exudes intensity and reflection in her words; she is one of those people whose speech hypnotizes, whose words seem to sound in another dimension where ideas are more chewed-over and everything sounds less vain, less vulgar. Explaining the creative process that leads an artist to create a work is always heavy going. Anjani does it her way. "Before I went back to the studio I spent a few years painting and I fell in love with the tactile experience of working with colors and canvas. I approached painting the same way as music. When I'm creating something I can go for weeks without seeing anyone. But inside I'm exploring, listening, watching the sky change color and feeling how leaves are turned by the wind before it starts raining while they tell me they are thirsty and birds tell me about their lives. A lot of activity happens in that silent time. Then I go back to the canvas and I paint ten or twelve hours until I finish the piece. The next day, the next week, I look at that picture and if the conversation is over I feel happy, if I feel it’s incomplete I might go back and paint a new scene. It worked that way in music too,"says Anjani candidly. In a few weeks the sun will be back, the heat, and with it will come the new album by the Hawaiian singer, a well-seasoned work that was born unhurried, at its own pace, according to the principles of the school of Cohen.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

Thanks for your thoughtfulness and time in doing that, Helen. I've rarely seen Google get it right. With luck, it can manage the shortest of comments. I've realized that some people for whom English is not their first language were most likely using Google or another translation mechanism and not doing their writing justice. When they started writing on their own, they did just fine and far better than Google could have hoped for.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Related Artists”