The Webb Sisters Christmas Concert (Otford Kent, Dec.14th).

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
John Etherington

Post by John Etherington »

St Bartholomew's Church (which dates back to 1060) provided an exquisite setting for the Webb Sisters final U.K. concert of the year. Having wended my way down the dark and narrow streets leading from Otford Station, the ancient church lit by Christmas lights was a welcoming sight. I joined loyal supporter Andy Barnes near the front of the queque inside, and was soon greeted by Graham and Mandy Webb who had a number of their local friends and acquaintances present. Being in their native Kent, this was of course a homecoming concert for the Webb Sisters. Drinks were being sold in the back of the church hall, so I was able to avail myself of a glass of red wine whilst quequeing (as indeed did many others). There was also a merchandise stand, where I was able to pick up limited CD copies of the new "If it Be Your Will" single with orchestral backing.

The church was small and cosy, holding a full congregation of two hundred people. The area leading to the altar where the concert was staged was to the left of the building (so those sitting to the right got an angled view). Arriving early, we were fortunate enough to get excellent second row seats. The audience were generally the most elderly I have seen for a Webbs concert. Red and white candles lit the main area, while chandeliers holding white candles hung from the ceiling. The area around the altar was lit with green light, which illuminated seasonal flowers and plants. Behind the speakers to the left were religious statues; in the centre was Brad Webb's drum kit; and to the right stood a large golden harp which Hattie was to play later in the show. It was rather strange hearing blues music played over the speakers in the church, before the show...the "Devil's music" in the House of God, no less!

Support artist was Louise Orfila, the lovely young singer-songwriter who supported the Webb Sisters at Hastings in the summer. She harmonized nicely with her sister, and sung a number of her own compositions, as well as one by Taylor Swift (who she cited as an inspiration). There was then an interval for drinks/loo queque (!) before the Webb Sisters and Brother Brad took to the stage.

The evening contained a number of very pleasant surprises. The first was when two of the young ladies from the Minstels who had played with the Webb Sisters at Union Chapel presented the Sisters with garlands of red flowers. Another surprise was when Hattie announced that one lucky member of the audience would get a prize - the one who found a ticket sellotaped under the seat of their chair. Thus, a gentleman sitting a few rows back to my left acquired a free Webb Sisters mug, poster and CD. The choice of songs for the concert was a variety of Webb Sisters originals, more cover versions than usual, and a few seasonal/spiritual songs. The only thing missing was a surprise appearance of Leonard singing "Silent Night"! Here's the set-list (which included the biggest surprise of all - a new Leonard cover):

Baroque Thoughts, "Come Thou Fount of Every Blessing, Fortune of Soldiers (Judy Collins), In Your Father's Eyes, Baby Can I Hold You Tonight, Silent Night, Words That Mobilize, If It Be Your Will, Blue and You, Sounds Without Words (golden harp instrumental), I Need You (George Harrison), That Old Wheel, The Goodnight Song, 1000 Stars, Show Me the Place, and acapella encores through the aisles (with Hattie carrying her harp and Charley a red candle) - I Want You to Want Me, and a couple of verses of Amazing Grace.

After the concert, Charley and Hattie chatted, posed for pictures, and signed autographs at the merchandise stand, Walking back to Otford station, the footways were slightly more visible, lit by the waning Moon and one thousand stars shining brightly in the sky above.

Christmas blessings, John E
Last edited by John Etherington on Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:20 am, edited 16 times in total.
musicmania

Re: The Webb Sisters Christmas Concert (Otford Kent, Dec.14t

Post by musicmania »

Great review John. Thanks for sharing! :D
2009 Dublin 2010 Lissadell Katowice LV x2 2012 Ghent x2 Dublin x4 Montreal x2 Toronto x2 2013 New York x2 Brussels Dublin x2

Gwen's Leonard Cohen Journey: http://myleonardcohenjourney.wordpress.com/

"I did my best, it wasn't much"
MaryB

Post by MaryB »

John,

Your review reads like a lovely short story - thank you!

Best regards,
Mary
1993 Detroit 2008 Kitchener June 2-Hamilton June 3 & 4-Vienna Sept 24 & 25-London RAH Nov 17 2009 NYC Feb 19-Grand Prairie Apr 3-Phoenix Apr 5-Columbia May 11-Red Rocks Jun 4-Barcelona Sept 21-Columbus Oct 27-Las Vegas Nov 12-San Jose Nov 13 2010 Sligo Jul 31 & Aug 1-LV Dec 10 & 11 2012 Paris Sept 30-London Dec 11-Boston Dec 16 2013 Louisville Mar 30-Amsterdam Sept 20
JudasPriest

Post by JudasPriest »

Show Me The Place? Interesting... What was that like?
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca »

great review - as always
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester

Return to “Related Artists”