NEeMA on tour in US

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
lizzytysh

Re: NEeMA on tour in US

Post by lizzytysh » Tue Apr 05, 2011 2:09 pm

LOL ~ That one's worth several more reads. Far better than most on-dogs commentary.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
mydoglorca

Post by mydoglorca » Wed Apr 06, 2011 3:42 pm

The song is lovely, the video moving & Elsa simply beautiful.
Jill (dog adorer!) :D
1976 Bristol 1979 Birmingham 1988 RAH x 2, 1993 RAH x 2 & Madrid, 2008 Edinburgh, London O2, Cardiff, Bournemouth, RAH 17 Nov, Birmingham, Manchester 30 Nov, 2009 Weybridge, Liverpool, Dublin 19 & 20th,2010 September -Marseille, Tours, Lille, 2012 12 & 14 Aug Ghent,Wembley x22013 O2, Antwerp, Bournemouth, Manchester
ladydi

Post by ladydi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:44 am

Lizzy, we may not have agreed on certain things over the past few months, but I want to say that your comments regarding Nadine and Anjani are so true and fair. Each of these very talented women are not Leonard's "women"....they are their own selves. You worded it very well. They, of course, do not need either our support, or non-support (as others may see it). In the case of Anjani, she and Leonard have had a connection spanning several decades. This is obviously not the case with Nadine. However, in both situations Leonard has suggested, mentored, and slightly nudged each woman to their artistic levels. I was about to say limits, but I don't think either Anjani or Nadine have even approached their artistic limits. Each has branched off into new territory (especially Anjani), and I feel that the body of work that Nadine now possesses can only increase with time. She touches on so many cultures....and on our souls.

I look forward to many more offerings from both of these extremely talented women.....each of whom has been influenced by Leonard in one way or another.

Diana

ps: and, of course, each one of us is also free to form our own opinions (and voice them), as we would be with any artist. Not all of us may agree, but we at least are blessed with free speech, and free opinions. On both sides of the coin. There is the line of sensitivity and manners though, and hopefully most of us on this forum would appreciate that.
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:41 am

Thank you for your response, Diana... first, I appreciate your replying, as my humongous posting has been sitting like an elephant in the living room. Of course, after awhile, I naturally concluded that my perspective was mine alone, which is fine and I'm okay with that, yet, still... second, it's good to see that you agree.

That's a good point you make regarding Nadine's and Anjani's respective lengths of association with Leonard, and that too is underscored by Anjani's having been so heavily weighted toward their music connection from the start. Anjani always ~ always ~ knew what she wanted to do with her life, from the onset of thinking in those terms. Learning to play a variety of instruments, singing, writing, going to college for music, recording, touring, the list goes on. I'm not sure when Anjani's interest in activism on behalf of the environment and human and animal health and preservation took hold, but her musicianship was firmly planted early on. Very focused. And the evidence is audible in her voice, her presentation, and her music. Nadine ~ went to college for business; a humanitarian; a love for and deep interest in world travel; a girl/woman with interest in writing poetry and, later, songs; and with time, leanings, and circumstance, a decidedly spiritual quest on her own. It seems that with Nadine's personal, life-experience history, that she and Leonard first connected based on other things. Different paths entirely... Nadine and Anjani. Each of them remarkable women. Each of whom I greatly admire... and each far beyond a pretty face.

I love how in one of the interviews with Nadine, the interviewer asked her if there was anything in particular Leonard had told her and she replied, yes, "Take your time." Who to know better than Leonard? Even Anjani had to hurry him up a bit, though, and show him that he doesn't REALLY need a whole 10 years to write a great song. Yet, Leonard virtually always knew that he wanted to write [poems/books/songs]... and, overall, still took his time. Nadine may not have all the years available to her that Leonard had [since he began seriously writing, at least as early as 17], yet his advice stands as great advice, nonetheless... especially when it comes to [not] pleasing others by hurrying. She's doing fine and more than fine at her current pace. And I love the free spirit of her that I see in her Elsa's Lullaby video.

" . . . both of these extremely talented women.....each of whom has been influenced by Leonard in one way or another." That to me is what's key. Do you remember the short article that Anjani wrote about "The Key of C" ~ it's a great, good-humoured, laughing-at-herself piece, and the takeaway for me was how Leonard had to impress upon her how the spaces in a song are at least as important, if not more than, the vocal or musical notes... that it's not necessary to 'fill up' a song with continuous playing/singing. [If I were a musician, I could express all of that better.] And when she finally got it, she really got it! And it made a huge difference in her performances. So, instead of coming across like pushing a song to happen, it becomes seeming like letting a song happen. I like that in Nadine's Elsa's Lullaby.

Me, too... I'm looking forward to watching them both expand even more than they already have [and I agree that neither have even approached their artistic limits]; and, hopefully, I'll be able to see them each perform in person [again, with Anjani; and for the first time, with Nadine]. For now, I'm hoping for videos of more of Nadine's songs. One thing that seems certain and that pleases me... each of them will remain friends with Leonard. He has certainly been a great friend to them.

Thanks for your response, Diana.

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:44 pm

SO WELL SAID, and thank you, John Porter, from whoever's review you nicked it!

Since I'll be getting some money on the 20th, am looking to order Nadine's album and Leonard's book. So, in checking Amazon, found this review. So well said.
5.0 out of 5 stars An Impressive New Voice From An Old Soul, March 1, 2011

By John Porter (Brooklyn, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Watching You Think (Audio CD)
from someone else's review that I thought i'd share:

"Watching You Think was produced with Pierre Marchand and mentor/friend Leonard Cohen, an old hand at seducing words to parchment. His endorsement is impressive, but NEeMA's is a singular voice within a radiant countenance. Cohen captured this essence in a network of ink and paints, which he then struck to the album's sleeve. Voila. That her image appears unfinished seems appropriate somehow: this is an artist as a work-in-progress, a palette that, two albums in, we've only just begun to explore."
- The Daily Wrazz (Feb 27th)

"Unspoken", "Escape", her cover of "Romeo & Juliet", and "Masi" are my favorites (so far). But i suspect other songs on this album can rise into that list at any time. I was lucky enough to see her perform recently at Folk Alliance (in Memphis) and was really impressed.
Unspoken and Masi would be so enchanting set to video. Escape and Nadine's cover of R&J I'm not so familiar with... really want to experience all of this when I get the cd.

On Elsa's Lullaby, the ever-so-slightly sped up footage of her playing tag and running down and back the sidewalk with Elsa hearkens to the b&w footage of Leonard as a child on his tricycle. It has such a lovely, nostalgic feel.

As I listen to Elsa's sweet Lullaby in my mind, Leonard's words “in the midst of all the static, a voice of true feeling arises - a rare event!” come to me and I contrast the voice, words, and melody I'm hearing with all the amplification and over- and altered-production that occurs with today's singers [with WHO knowing WHAT their REAL voices sound like] and I think "Yes, one just needs to slow down, be fully present, and abandon unfair expectations; and they will hear the sweet purity of voice and feeling that Nadine offers us. I LIKE it that with Nadine what you see is what you get... as she doesn't try to be anyone else or anything other than what she is... herself."

"Old Soul . . . a singular voice within a radiant countenance"/Ancient Goddess ;-) ~ If I were in the [type]casting department looking for someone to play the role of one, I'd be looking for someone who looks just like Nadine 8) .

I'm looking forward to having "Watching You Think" [and, that, she clearly does... 8) ].

~ Lizzy
~ Oscar Wilde

Return to “Related Artists”