NEeMA on tour in US

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
leonardfan2010

Re: NEeMA on tour in US

Post by leonardfan2010 »

leonardmtl wrote:Does anyone know why the Boston concert at Berklee, scheduled for April 16, was cancelled last week?

Ticketmaster has refunded my tickets but gave no explanation.

Leonard from Montreal

I wish I knew. I just went on line to buy tickets. :(
MarieM

Post by MarieM »

You can download the song Masi for free at Sony's site (which takes you to Facebook thereafter):

http://www.sonymusic.ca/neema/download/
Marie
Speaking Cohen
brightnow

Post by brightnow »

leonardfan2010 wrote:
leonardmtl wrote:Does anyone know why the Boston concert at Berklee, scheduled for April 16, was cancelled last week?

Leonard from Montreal

Len, Lynne:

The Berklee show was "canceled because of the Boston Marathon that weekend".
Why don't you hop on a train to NY for the launch at Joe's Pub? It will be fun!

Avi
Columbia May 11, 2009; Boston May 29, 2009; Durham November 3, 2009; Las Vegas December 10 & 11, 2010; Austin November 1, 2012; Boston December 15, 2012; Brooklyn December 20, 2012
leonardfan2010

Post by leonardfan2010 »

brightnow wrote:
leonardfan2010 wrote:

Leonard from Montreal

Len, Lynne:

The Berklee show was "canceled because of the Boston Marathon that weekend".
Why don't you hop on a train to NY for the launch at Joe's Pub? It will be fun!

Avi
Well, heck. The Marathon isn't until Monday!

Wish I could make it to New York. I'm still trying to figure out how I'm going to pay for Las Vegas!
199Dan

Post by 199Dan »

Boston is a great city to visit! I knowI live here. However the weekends you do not want to visit are Marathon weekend when the streets in the Back Bay are closed and the city already full with the thousands of runners ,guest and press. The other is the last weekend of August when the 200,00 or so students all try to move into their dorms. That does leave 50 weekends open to visit. That said, any one going to NYC from Boston to see NEeMA ?
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

"That said, any one going to NYC from Boston to see NEeMA ?"

You! Start a trend :) . If I lived that close, I'd be on the train with you.
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
DrHGuy

NEeMA Q&A Online

Post by DrHGuy »

dog400.jpg
dog400.jpg (14.87 KiB) Viewed 3415 times
I just posted NEeMA On Her Music, Her Family, Wekweti, And Leonard Cohen: http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/03/30/neema ... ard-cohen/

This Q&A was 9 mons in the making (it's a long yet incredibly boring story) with the responses from NEeMA arriving only 2 days ago but the effort to publish this prior to tonight's concert at Joe's Pub was worth it. Her contributions about her family, her music, LC, and how her stage name evolved are interesting and revealing.
scubasam

Re: NEeMA Q&A Online

Post by scubasam »

DrHGuy wrote:
dog400.jpg
I just posted NEeMA On Her Music, Her Family, Wekweti, And Leonard Cohen: http://1heckofaguy.com/2011/03/30/neema ... ard-cohen/

This Q&A was 9 mons in the making (it's a long yet incredibly boring story) with the responses from NEeMA arriving only 2 days ago but the effort to publish this prior to tonight's concert at Joe's Pub was worth it. Her contributions about her family, her music, LC, and how her stage name evolved are interesting and revealing.
What a great interview Allan.
Patrycja

Post by Patrycja »

Evie B wrote:Well, I expect I will get a verbal smack in the eye for this but I just don't understand what the fuss is about, there doesn't seem to be anything special about her. Her poetry and music is uninspiring, nothing awful, just ordinary. Leonard likes a pretty face though and I expect he has enjoyed any time he spent with her, but really? Yawn.

She reminds me of Anjani, not really sure why. I struggle to listen to Anjani's voice, to me it is like wading through treacle. I find her voice good in the background, but up front just too much. Nothing personal, Leonard obviously finds her very special so she must be a lovely lady.

Evie B
+1 (although I really like Anjani's voice and album). You're spot on with the rest. And bravo to you for speaking what you really feel about it.
Will... If It Be Your Will
victhpooh

Post by victhpooh »

I agree with Evie on many levels. First of all, a public forum is for opinions. As long as they are sincere and polite. I did go to Joe's Pub last night and I did enjoy the show. I loved her song about LA and I really liked her Cohen cover.
On the other hand, I found that some of her songs were not as inspiring and thought provoking as I would have expected from a protegee of Leonards. Perhaps I'm missing something. If someone is going to be performing in public, they need to hear both sides, good and less good. That is the only way they will grow and improve. Its like kids. You can't always praise them and expect them to have any idea of what they are truly capable of, right?
I think NEeMA has a lot of potential and I look forward to her growth as a writer and performer.
there is a crack in everything........that's how the light gets in............
maltmom

Post by maltmom »

I saw NEeMA last night at Joe's Pub and she was quite good as was her band. She interacted with the audience, which consisted of many forum members I knew by name only. Good to put faces to names! She covered Avalanche quite well and, of course, I loved the Elsa song (maltmom ....Maltese mother - my lovely dog) ...she said the video will be out next week. Saw Robert Kory and spoke to him for a few minutes in the 'unisex' bathroom....unreal.... :D Did not see any sign of LC though. Nadine graciously signed cd's for everyone and when I was waiting, her brother arrived and they had a conversation re: making dinner plans immediately after.
Lorraine
NYC-MSG – 2012, Las Vegas -2010, MSG - 2009, Philadelphia - 2009, Philadelphia – 1993, Philadelphia – 1988, Philadelphia – 1985, Philadelphia-Main Point - 1975
lightning

Post by lightning »

My sister and I who are both in our sixties were at Joe's Pub last night asking each other "Where's Joni Mitchell" "Where's Judy Collins?" Perhaps we are spoiled by the female singers who used to be associated with Leonard during the golden era of singer/songwriter. Even Perla Battaglia and Julie Christensen were more exciting performers than the Webb Sisters (robots?), Anjani (yuk), and, as noted NEema. But, NEema has a warm heart and sparkly personality. It's a lucky dog that won her love. Maybe someday she will translate that personal warmth and beauty into her art.
Here are some YouTubes from last night.Just a taste of her show.

The club went very dark and a spotlight washed out her face as she performed a competent but not inspired "Avalanche:"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xuzOHbTB7M

Elsa's Lullaby was what got me down there to Joe's Pub. She sounds a bit like Melanie here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6SJj_peMVM

NEema remembered her heritage with this Lebanese song made popular by Fairuz, lyrics by Kahlil Gibran, "Aatini al- nay" "Give me the flute" The Ney is a middle eastern flute. It's quite beautiful.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWFHkCPnOsA

A prayer for unity offered as a last encore:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpSl7V8g-ng

Here's "Lost in L.A." recorded by my sister Marcia:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BkwudhMIz4
Last edited by lightning on Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
holydove

Post by holydove »

Hi lightning,

It has also crossed my mind, at certain moments, that Neema reminds me - a bit - of Melanie! Thank you for mentioning that.

I think she said that the lyrics of the Arabic song speak of the sound of the flute, & that the music of the flute will remain long after we are all gone.
mnkyface

Post by mnkyface »

I was not at the show but Neema sounds great in these videos and I'm kind of surprised at the negativity. I see no evidence that this performance was less than stellar. I'm actually not sure Neema needs to be compared to "folk singers" at all; her style, like Leonard's, seems to encompass rock, pop, folk, and the music of her heritage. I would go as far as saying that Neema's song Escape has all the makings of a pop/rock radio hit, and its video would not be out of place on MTV (well, if MTV still showed videos anymore instead of crap reality shows). :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Io5eLjDywQ

I'll admit- Anjani's singing is too mellow for me most of the time (I wouldn't give it a "yuk" though, as lightning did) and Perla and Julie don't do anything for me unless they are on a stage with Leonard Cohen. But the Webb Sisters as "robots"? Too harsh. Actually, the Webbs-bashing has irritated me since the start of the tour and I think it is often a case of reverse ageism. Because they are young, attractive and somewhat fashion plates, the implication is that they are somehow less womanly/earthy/seasoned... none of which has anything to do with their musical talent.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by scubasam »

mnkyface wrote:I was not at the show but Neema sounds great in these videos and I'm kind of surprised at the negativity. I see no evidence that this performance was less than stellar. I'm actually not sure Neema needs to be compared to "folk singers" at all; her style, like Leonard's, seems to encompass rock, pop, folk, and the music of her heritage. I would go as far as saying that Neema's song Escape has all the makings of a pop/rock radio hit, and its video would not be out of place on MTV (well, if MTV still showed videos anymore instead of crap reality shows). :roll:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Io5eLjDywQ

I'll admit- Anjani's singing is too mellow for me most of the time (I wouldn't give it a "yuk" though, as lightning did) and Perla and Julie don't do anything for me unless they are on a stage with Leonard Cohen. But the Webb Sisters as "robots"? Too harsh. Actually, the Webbs-bashing has irritated me since the start of the tour and I think it is often a case of reverse ageism. Because they are young, attractive and somewhat fashion plates, the implication is that they are somehow less womanly/earthy/seasoned... none of which has anything to do with their musical talent.
great post. I was at the show and her performance last night was stellar. She sang beautifully, engaged the audience,was amusing and playful,,yet soulful at the same time.

People seem to forget she is a budding,rather than seasoned artist and all this negativity towards younger females in LC's life smacks more of the green-eyed monster than rational,discernable taste in music.

Return to “Related Artists”