Dino Soldo is a Smoothie

Anjani, Sharon Robinson, NEeMA, The Webb Sisters, Dino Soldo, Jennifer Warnes, Perla Batalla, Julie Christensen, Unified Heart Touring Band, Leonard's tours musicians...
sirius

Dino Soldo is a Smoothie

Post by sirius »

"Dino SoldoThe most entertaining review about yours truly that I've seen. "
http://bit.ly/08ZCuBO
11:51 PM Nov 20th from web
The above is from Dino's own twitter feed which sends you to the article below, which is a wee bit harsh I think.

Dino Soldo is a Smoothie

November 20, 2009...4:30 pm

http://jacobpedia.wordpress.com/2009/11 ... /#more-154

In browsing McSweeney’s website, I ran across Sean Michael’s review of a Leonard Cohen concert from last year. Most of what he says also applies to the Cohen concert I saw in Chicago in May, but none of it is more accurate than this:

My friends J. and J. write together sometimes. Once, they wrote a story where they go up to heaven. I think heaven in this story is the top floor of a peculiar hospital. In heaven, they meet an angel. He is a “smoothie.” When J. and J. used to read this story aloud, on a stage, they would gesture in the air to make it clearer what “smoothie” meant. It means someone with no genitals. They would move their hands like they were running their palms over the front and bottom of a beach ball.

A couple of years later, I was with J., another friend with the same initial, at a jazz bar in Kraków. We listened to the Poles’ cheesy, schmaltzy, soporific solos and he mouthed to me the word “smoothie” and I nodded.

All this is to say that every time Mr. Dino Solto [sic] picks up a saxophone, harmonica, or clarinet to play along with Leonard, I want to make a motion like I am running my palm over the front and bottom of a beach ball.

Dino Soldo is by far the worst part of Cohen’s mostly amazing backing band. He rarely adds anything good to the arrangements, and more often than not, his parts distract from the rest of the performers. His saxophone/clarinet playing is cheesy, and his harmonica playing is grating. Rationally, I know that Cohen is responsible for thinking that the sax/clarinet/harmonica parts sound good, but it’s hard to blame the man who wrote “Bird on the Wire” and “Famous Blue Raincoat.” It’s much easier and more satisfying to pile on Dino Soldo.
We are so small between the stars, so large against the sky
mnkyface

Re: Dino Soldo is a Smoothie

Post by mnkyface »

Ridiculous.
"In this world of shallow, he is the abyss."~ YouTube commenter greg450318

Post by mirka »

mnkyface wrote:Ridiculous.
I agree, this is a bizzare review of Dino. IMHO he infuses energy in otherwise sometimes subdued concert, and -similarly as Webb sisters- complements Leonard's rough voice.
It's beyond me how can anybody call him "smoothie" not seeing that he contributes to the band exactly what is needed :roll:
/Warsaw March 22 1985 / Halifax May 16 /Charlottetown May 18 / Dublin June 15 / Vienna Sept 24 2008/
Oakland April 13, 14, 15, San Jose Nov 13 2009/
Las Vegas Dec 11 2010/ Oakland March 2 2013/
remote1

Post by remote1 »

Dino, do not EVER believe a word of this complete nonsense. Don't allow this inane comment to undermine you, and the sense of fun, the creativity, originality, and brilliant energy that you bring to the live songs. Always remember that the overwhelming majority of your audience are big fans of you and your sound. There will always be the odd twat... They're sad. You're cool, man! 8)
"We are so lightly here"
lizzytysh

Post by lizzytysh »

A wee bit? Harsh?

Envy disguises itself in so many unartful ways. This is one of those.

YaY, Dino! And did anyone happen to get a photo of him in San Jose when he came to the edge of the stage and sat to play, head down. It was a beautiful photo begging to be taken. I would love to have a copy if anyone got it.

~ Lizzy
"Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken."
~ Oscar Wilde
ladydi

Post by ladydi »

As this country has free speech, there is no way to prevent someone, who obviously has no musical sense or is looking for something else or who thinks they are being very clever, from posting what they want on their blog. This is not a formal review...this is from a blog, and I guess I sort of question why Sirius decided to post it...with the accompanying title, unless he is trying to "get something going".

A what an insulting term...smoothie. Those of us who have followed the tour since its inception recognize the true talent that Dino possesses. My respect for him has increased with each concert both as an individual and as a musician.

We may not all agree on everything and it would be a sad world if we did, but posting drivel like this is not necessary...

Dino...you rock! :D

ps...I also realize that Dino commented on this on Twitter, but I still don't see why it needs to be repeated in length on the Forum...if we ignore this now it will quietly sink to the bottom of the page where it belongs....
Rain

Post by Rain »

I agree that this garbage is one of the stupidest things I've ever read on the LC forum. The man I saw on stage in Columbus, OH not only sounded and LOOKED great, but he was playing MULTIPLE instruments like he was having the time of his life, and enjoying this dream career that he has. ABSOLUTE CRAP in that "review". :roll:
LEONKA

Post by LEONKA »

This is not just a little bit cruel as Lizzy wrote, but it's very cruel.
Dino Soldo 8) , we are with you, play for real fans of Leonard. Are you in a band, all excellent musicians. :razz:
Sunil

Post by Sunil »

Hello Dino

You ROCK! One of my best memories from the tour was when you held the mouthorgan up above you and then pulled yourself up as the notes went higher. Plus you did a great spin later in the same show. I thought these stunts were great and they made the concert that much more of a party!

Cheers
Sunil

Return to “Related Artists”